BBQ Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jerky

I used top sirloin, and cut it in strips less than 1/4" thick. If you put the meat in the freezer for an hour or so before cutting, it makes it a lot easier to slice. After slicing the meat, sprinkled both sides with a jerky mix of black pepper, garlic, and cure. (that's the flavor I used, but there are a shit-ton of different flavors you can get) Then put it all in Ziploc bags in the fridge for about 24 hours.

Place all strips on jerky racks so there is a little space between them for airflow. I used hickory smoke, and smoked at 225 degrees for 2 hours. After 1 hour, I rotated all the racks so everything would get even heat/smoke. Then, removed smoke and water pan, and turned heat down to about 175 for another hour or so to continue drying. Check your jerky occasionally so it doesn't get too dry. You want to be able to bend it without it breaking. Keep in mind, drying will cause it to shrink and lose a lot of weight. You'll lose probably over half the weight you started with if not more.

If you want bigger/thicker strips of jerky, you'll need to adjust your marinade/smoke/drying time.

D

Deuce

Jerky

I used top sirloin, and cut it in strips less than 1/4" thick. If you put the meat in the freezer for an hour or so before cutting, it makes it a lot easier to slice. After slicing the meat, sprinkled both sides with a jerky mix of black pepper, garlic, and cure. (that's the flavor I used, but there are a shit-ton of different flavors you can get) Then put it all in Ziploc bags in the fridge for about 24 hours.

Place all strips on jerky racks so there is a little space between them for airflow. I used hickory smoke, and smoked at 225 degrees for 2 hours. After 1 hour, I rotated all the racks so everything would get even heat/smoke. Then, removed smoke and water pan, and turned heat down to about 175 for another hour or so to continue drying. Check your jerky occasionally so it doesn't get too dry. You want to be able to bend it without it breaking. Keep in mind, drying will cause it to shrink and lose a lot of weight. You'll lose probably over half the weight you started with if not more.

If you want bigger/thicker strips of jerky, you'll need to adjust your marinade/smoke/drying time.
~moving to Test Thread~

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Anyone have one of those Char-broil BigEasy oil-less fryers? I bought one before Thanksgiving and cooked a 17lb turkey in it in about 3 hours. That thing is the bomb.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Smoking some ribs tomorrow. I win.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Smoking some ribs tomorrow. I win.
I have an old (14 years old) Brinkmann grill with the offset smoker. My last project was 12 lbs. of baby back ribs. I smoked them for six hours with pecan wood and finished them in the crock pot with honey barbecue sauce. I usually use cherry wood with ribs, but the pecan wood gave the ribs an incredible flavor.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have an old (14 years old) Brinkmann grill with the offset smoker. My last project was 12 lbs. of baby back ribs. I smoked them for six hours with pecan wood and finished them in the crock pot with honey barbecue sauce. I usually use cherry wood with ribs, but the pecan wood gave the ribs an incredible flavor.
Pecan wood is one of my favorites to smoke with.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Anyone have one of those Char-broil BigEasy oil-less fryers? I bought one before Thanksgiving and cooked a 17lb turkey in it in about 3 hours. That thing is the bomb.
I have one and it is pretty great, but I miss the crunchy skin of a deep fried turkey.

hstour

Brand New Member
I can't believe this thread hasn't been started alreay with as many grillmasters (me and EZ) we have on this board.

Going with an old stand by today in the form of butterfly pork chops, corn on the cob, and mixing up a little with red potatoes cubed and cooked in the oven with butter and all seasoning. It is going to be pretty epic.
That's grilling, not BBQ....

hstour

Brand New Member
We hadn't started a BBQ thread on this version yet? That's very disappointing.

I'm smoking 6 hams this weekend. So, pretty much just another hohum weekend.
Excuse me. I wasn't aware you knew the difference till I got to this reply. Some people don't.

hstour

Brand New Member
What kind of smoker you using? I know you went to electric, and I just got a Bradley 6 rack digital smoker for Christmas. So far I've smoked a couple racks of short ribs, and some deer sausage. Also made about 5 lbs of jerky.

I don't give a shit what people say about electric smokers. This thing is awesome.
To steal EZ's line....

it's like using a Mr. Beer kit and claiming to have made beer.

Cotton

Staff member
Excuse me. I wasn't aware you knew the difference till I got to this reply. Some people don't.
Come correct, fool.

That's my attempt at being ghetto.

I know quite well the difference. I have 2 smokers and 3 BBQ pits. I spend quite a bit of my time watching shit cook.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
To steal EZ's line....

Pay close attention to the beginning of the last sentence of mine you quoted.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
To steal EZ's line....

Happened across one at Lowes about a month ago marked so low couldn't pass it up and have to admit it's a convenient little cooker, while it's not as good as my offset for under a bill you cant beat it

Cotton

Staff member
Happened across one at Lowes about a month ago marked so low couldn't pass it up and have to admit it's a convenient little cooker, while it's not as good as my offset for under a bill you cant beat it
I love mine. I also have an offset that I use if I have to cook a lot of meat at one time, but if I'm just smoking a ham or something, I throw it in my electric smoker and off I go.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I love mine. I also have an offset that I use if I have to cook a lot of meat at one time, but if I'm just smoking a ham or something, I throw it in my electric smoker and off I go.
Yep I agree, it really is nice for when youre not cooking alot of meat

hstour

Brand New Member
Jerky

I used top sirloin, and cut it in strips less than 1/4" thick. If you put the meat in the freezer for an hour or so before cutting, it makes it a lot easier to slice.
Or use good knives and keep them very sharp. My son is a chef and got me several Global's for Xmas and I love them.

Top Bottom