BBQ Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Your thoughts on cooking a steak...of the below methods, what’s your favorite, which one(s) are complete feh, etc...

a. Over fire (charcoal or wood)
b. Gas grill
c. Cast-iron skillet
d. Sous vide

Your preferred method of salting the steak:
a. 1+ nights dry-brine
b. 1-2 hours before cooking
c. Right before cooking
A and B.

data

Forbes #1
I can’t decide...is this ruining the steak? Seems like a lot of process just for show, how much of it actually accentuates flavor, taste, texture, juiciness?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Your thoughts on cooking a steak...of the below methods, what’s your favorite, which one(s) are complete feh, etc...

b. Gas grill
c. Cast-iron skillet
d. Sous vide

a. 1+ nights dry-brine
c. Right before cooking
a, c

b, c

yimyammer

shitless classpainter

b. Gas grill
c. Cast-iron skillet
d. Sous vide

a. 1+ nights dry-brine
c. Right before cooking
c & c hands down

I'm hooked on the method below (I add some rosemary to the butter baste too):

those are the best potatoes I've ever had

PS..if you try this, buy a mandoline and use real horseradish root and make your own horseradish sauce from this, its night and day from horseradish in a jar

data

Forbes #1
PS..if you try this, buy a mandoline and use real horseradish root and make your own horseradish sauce from this, its night and day from horseradish in a jar
I just bought ghee to see what the rage is all about. Supposedly, better than regular butter for steak.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I just bought ghee to see what the rage is all about. Supposedly, better than regular butter for steak.
I also recommend making brown butter too, its easy to make. I take a couple of pounds of butter and make a batch so I always have it on hand. It makes your cookies even better, you can use it standalone as a sauce for vegetables, pasta, shrimp and its really good to cook scallops with.

I wouldn't use it for basting my steak though, the butter and herbs provide enough flavor

Cotton

Staff member
I also recommend making brown butter too, its easy to make. I take a couple of pounds of butter and make a batch so I always have it on hand. It makes your cookies even better, you can use it standalone as a sauce for vegetables, pasta, shrimp and its really good to cook scallops with.

I wouldn't use it for basting my steak though, the butter and herbs provide enough flavor
And, how does one go about making this brown butter you speak of?

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
And, how does one go about making this brown butter you speak of?
Its super easy, the biggest requirement is patience, here's a quick video:

You make this dangerously fast brown butter crumble with peaches or strawberries or whatever your favorite fruit is with whipped cream (whip in some amaretto for extra flavor):

Cotton

Staff member
Doing my first reverse sear on pork chops today. We will see how they turn out.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Grilled a bunch of tablitas today.

Cotton

Staff member
get some tomahawk chops, they're awesome (especially with summer peas and carrots braised until al dente)

View attachment 690675
We have a butcher on campus here at TTU called Red Raider Meats and they always have Tomahawks. I haven't bought any yet but I might next time I'm in there. I end up spending about $300 every time I go in that place. :lol

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
We have a butcher on campus here at TTU called Red Raider Meats and they always have Tomahawks. I haven't bought any yet but I might next time I'm in there. I end up spending about $300 every time I go in that place. :lol
Sounds awesome. I bet they get some good beef in that region of the country

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds awesome. I bet they get some good beef in that region of the country
We have the best BBQ in the nation. In that same regard, we have some of the best cattle farmers in the nation.

Top Bottom