BBQ Thread

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I just went to the market to buy a packer brisket. Son of a bitch damn near doubled in price from $3.99/lb pre-focus to $5.99/lb.

I opted for ny steaks instead.
Did you check what tri tip was at?

I was getting select tri tip anywhere from $2.97-$3.50 per pound, depending on the time of year.

Fricken “no roll tri tip”, below select is at $6.80ish right now where I get all of my protein.

Highway robbery.

data

Forbes #1
Did you check what tri tip was at?

I was getting select tri tip anywhere from $2.97-$3.50 per pound, depending on the time of year.

Fricken “no roll tri tip”, below select is at $6.80ish right now where I get all of my protein.

Highway robbery.
No, I don’t remember. Sorry

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been using my pellet smoker exclusively for a solid 5 months. Went back to charcoal and, man, there's nothing like a good charcoal fire.
Yeah I have a pellet smoker, I love it. But it has the ability to get open flames on the meat so when I want to get some flames kissing my meat I can. Honestly though I used a gas grill before it which sucked. Charcoal is great but I like the convenience of turning it on and going.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah I have a pellet smoker, I love it. But it has the ability to get open flames on the meat so when I want to get some flames kissing my meat I can. Honestly though I used a gas grill before it which sucked. Charcoal is great but I like the convenience of turning it on and going.
With the smoker/grill combo I bought, I have the ability to reverse sear. Essentially, I can smoke whatever I'm cooking for however long and then throw it onto the grill section with open flame to sear it after the smoke has gotten into the meat. It is delicious with steaks, pork chops, etc.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
With the smoker/grill combo I bought, I have the ability to reverse sear. Essentially, I can smoke whatever I'm cooking for however long and then throw it onto the grill section with open flame to sear it after the smoke has gotten into the meat. It is delicious with steaks, pork chops, etc.
What’s a setup like that run?

Is it gas, pellet, or wood?

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I know some pellet smokers have a sear box too where you can do the same thing.
Yep, neighbor of mine bought one. The sear plate is a little bit of a pain in the ass to pull back to expose the flames, but it seems to work fine.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ok smoker guys.

I need something big enough to do 8-12 tri tips at a time.

What do you recommend? Any of your models handle that?
My stickburner is an old Oklahoma Joe smoker that I can fit 5 briskets on at a time that I think would handle that many

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Make and model, sir?
I had a smoker trailer built a couple years ago and have been trying practicing when I can. We burn a lot of pecan and hickory and mostly smoke brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken but have cooked all kinds of shit. There's a warmer oven over the firebox that we uae to cook veggies, casseroles, desserts in so don"t jave to worry about inside cookong when ready to go all out.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I had a smoker trailer built a couple years ago and have been trying practicing when I can. We burn a lot of pecan and hickory and mostly smoke brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken but have cooked all kinds of shit. There's a warmer oven over the firebox that we uae to cook veggies, casseroles, desserts in so don"t jave to worry about inside cookong when ready to go all out.
I’m trying to buy something like a traeger if I can find one that’s not a bagillion dollars and meets my needs.

But the answer to your question is yes, I would like to borrow it next weekend.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I’m trying to buy something like a traeger if I can find one that’s not a bagillion dollars and meets my needs.

But the answer to your question is yes, I would like to borrow it next weekend.
Damn it, man...don't buy a frikkin Traeger.

Learn how to cook with charcoal and/or wood to show your customers you love them.

You can borrow it, just make sure it's full of wood when I get it back.

data

Forbes #1
Your thoughts on cooking a steak...of the below methods, what’s your favorite, which one(s) are complete feh, etc...

a. Over fire (charcoal or wood)
b. Gas grill
c. Cast-iron skillet
d. Sous vide

Your preferred method of salting the steak:
a. 1+ nights dry-brine
b. 1-2 hours before cooking
c. Right before cooking

Top Bottom