Staff member

data

Forbes #1
No more metal wire brushes to scrape my grates. Almost ate one

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
No more metal wire brushes to scrape my grates. Almost ate one
Scrape and rinse your grill when the cooking is over so you don't have to worry about this. I learned the hard way myself.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I have a tri-tip to smoke this weekend.

Have smoked them in the past but they were always pre-seasoned.

This one is fresh, so pretty anxious to get into it.

Anyone have any tips on seasoning a tri-tip?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have a tri-tip to smoke this weekend.

Have smoked them in the past but they were always pre-seasoned.

This one is fresh, so pretty anxious to get into it.

Anyone have any tips on seasoning a tri-tip?
How long does it take to cook a tri tip? I have a brother in law that cooks them but they are tough as a boot. I can’t believe he is cooking them correctly. He puts the whole thing on a grill and then slices the servings after about 45 minutes on the grill.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
How long does it take to cook a tri tip? I have a brother in law that cooks them but they are tough as a boot. I can’t believe he is cooking them correctly. He puts the whole thing on a grill and then slices the servings after about 45 minutes on the grill.
I've only done a couple, and always smoke them rather than grilling.

I hardly ever wear boots, damn sure won't eat one!

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Trying to grill a tri tip is his mistake. He's cooking it too hot and fast. Throw it on a smoker at around 225 degrees for about 2 hours or so. Pay close attention to the internal temp of the meat, taking it off a about 6-7 degrees shy of your desired doneness (medium rare is the only correct answer here) Then throw it in a hot cast iron skillet to sear. Then let it rest about 10-15 minutes before slicing. You will have a tender, juicy cut of meat. No more boots to eat.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So I'm just going to use salt, pepper, and smoke to flavor the tri tip.

Reckon I'll keep it simple since it's my first time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Trying to grill a tri tip is his mistake. He's cooking it too hot and fast. Throw it on a smoker at around 225 degrees for about 2 hours or so. Pay close attention to the internal temp of the meat, taking it off a about 6-7 degrees shy of your desired doneness (medium rare is the only correct answer here) Then throw it in a hot cast iron skillet to sear. Then let it rest about 10-15 minutes before slicing. You will have a tender, juicy cut of meat. No more boots to eat.
Sounds right. He has wasted a lot of Tri tips but I have never said anything because I have never tried to do one and it’s not likely I will .

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sounds right. He has wasted a lot of Tri tips but I have never said anything because I have never tried to do one and it’s not likely I will .
Just do one, to show him how it's done.

data

Forbes #1
Been using my pellet smoker exclusively for a solid 5 months. Went back to charcoal and, man, there's nothing like a good charcoal fire.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I've never been a fan of tri tip. It's too lean, which is why so many people overcook it and make it as tough as a shoe.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Been using my pellet smoker exclusively for a solid 5 months. Went back to charcoal and, man, there's nothing like a good charcoal fire.
Use a natural wood smoker with good wood. The temperature is more challenging to control, but the flavor is a lot better than anything that comes from a pellet.

data

Forbes #1
Use a natural wood smoker with good wood. The temperature is more challenging to control, but the flavor is a lot better than anything that comes from a pellet.
Definitely and hope to some day. But I need the automation convenience for those 12 hour smokes.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Definitely and hope to some day. But I need the automation convenience for those 12 hour smokes.
Yeah, I hear you. I have a wood burning smoker, and briskets can suck the life out of me sometimes because I have to put them on the smoker at midnight-1am for them to finish by 6-7pm.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just do one, to show him how it's done.
I would have to go to California to do that. I guess I could make a video. No can’t do that I sold my system last year. Scratch everything.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Ok smoker guys.

I need something big enough to do 8-12 tri tips at a time.

What do you recommend? Any of your models handle that?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Ok smoker guys.

I need something big enough to do 8-12 tri tips at a time.

What do you recommend? Any of your models handle that?
Mine would handle it.

You wanna borrow it this weekend?

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, I hear you. I have a wood burning smoker, and briskets can suck the life out of me sometimes because I have to put them on the smoker at midnight-1am for them to finish by 6-7pm.
I just went to the market to buy a packer brisket. Son of a bitch damn near doubled in price from $3.99/lb pre-focus to $5.99/lb.

I opted for ny steaks instead.

Top Bottom