BBQ Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That would absolutely do it. And it shouldn't dry out because it's nearly finished. Let me know how it turns out.

I do something similar when I make pastrami. I smoke it until it reaches 150-155, then put it in a commercial steam pan, seal it in saran wrap and aluminum foil, and steam it in the oven the rest of the way. It's a lot better than smoking it all the way through the cook.
Sounds like a plan then. Will update when I try it

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That would absolutely do it. And it shouldn't dry out because it's nearly finished. Let me know how it turns out.

I do something similar when I make pastrami. I smoke it until it reaches 150-155, then put it in a commercial steam pan, seal it in saran wrap and aluminum foil, and steam it in the oven the rest of the way. It's a lot better than smoking it all the way through the cook.
You put saran wrap on meat and put it in the oven?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I usually score the skin and it allows the smoke to penetrate better. I like having the extra layer of fat to shield it from the heat, so how does yours turn out when you remove the skin? I've never tried it that way.
It's always a PITA but worth it to me because you get that good smoky bark on both sides and buttery goodness inside.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's always a PITA but worth it to me because you get that good smoky bark on both sides and buttery goodness inside.
Yea but that crispy skin combined with the buttery pork goodness inside is one helluva bite

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You put saran wrap on meat and put it in the oven?
As part of making pastrami, yes. I smoke it first, then pull it when the internal temp is 150-155 and put it into a restaurant steamer. But before I put the lid on the steamer, I cover the top in saran wrap and then aluminum foil. It holds the steam better.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That’s good to know. I’ll have to try that method at some point. I love trying new techniques with the smoker.

Cotton

Staff member
As part of making pastrami, yes. I smoke it first, then pull it when the internal temp is 150-155 and put it into a restaurant steamer. But before I put the lid on the steamer, I cover the top in saran wrap and then aluminum foil. It holds the steam better.
So, you don't wrap the actual meat in saran wrap? Because, it seems the saran wrap would stick to the meat a bit.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I need y’all’s Saran Wrap connection, I’m sure mine would melt.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yall never watched Diners, Driveins,and Dives? I haven't watched it much but can remember a couple episodes they did just that making pastrami

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Make sure you get it up to 180 degrees in the middle.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
So, you don't wrap the actual meat in saran wrap? Because, it seems the saran wrap would stick to the meat a bit.
Not the meat itself, no. You wrap lip of the steam pan in saran wrap and aluminum foil. It helps keep the steam from escaping. My grandmother taught me that trick so I tried it out one time when I made pastrami and it worked really well, so I just kept doing it.

Last edited:

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I need y’all’s Saran Wrap connection, I’m sure mine would melt.
It won’t melt if you cover the saran wrap layer with aluminum foil. It becomes a moisture barrier.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Make sure you get it up to 180 degrees in the middle.
I cook pastrami to 200-202 degrees. I can get away with it when I pull it off the smoker and let it rest overnight before steaming it in the oven the following day. If I go right to the oven from the smoker, I’ll cook it to around 190 degrees or when the jiggle is right.

Cotton

Staff member
Not the meat itself, no. You wrap lip of the steam pan in saran wrap and aluminum foil. It helps keep the steam from escaping. My grandmother taught me that trick so I tried it out one time when I made pastrami and it worked really well, so I just kelt doing it.
Hmm, interesting.

Cotton

Staff member
Smoking up some pork tenderloins on my new pellet fed.

IMG_0887.jpg

Cotton

Staff member
I never did post a picture of my new smoker/grill. I love this thing.

IMG_0814.jpg

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I never did post a picture of my new smoker/grill. I love this thing.

View attachment 690601
Nice. I no longer have a grill. I had a pretty good Coleman grill for several years but quit using it about 20 years ago. It had been covered all this time and I sold it about 6 months ago.

Cotton

Staff member
I'll give you five bucks for the fire hydrant
Shit, those go for about $800 on the open market. It was a great get.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The right thing to do with a pork belly is a porchetta

I usually look at a couple recipes and mix what I like and can get.

Top Bottom