BBQ Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I've got a big pull-behind smoker, will probably have to take the top rack out to fit the hog in.

Supposed to be getting a small one, maybe 75 pounds.

I've been cooking ribs, turkeys, briskets, chickens, and butts on this beast for the last couple years and have been wanting to do a hog since I got it.
Cool, let us know how it turns out

data

Forbes #1
Yeah I have a lawyer friend who has one and swears by it. I guess if you have any issues they literally give you a phone number to the owners to talk to them directly. It's a great product but I didn't think I would use it enough to justify the price. I wish I had more time but honestly our grocery shopping and cooking has gone to shit with a baby in the house.
Trying to determine how qualifying your friend as a ‘lawyer friend’ affects this CSB.

It would suggest you otherwise have no lawyer friends and consider him special because you hold lawyers in high esteem, but I don’t think this is the case.

Im guessing it’s because you think the DCC is chock full of poor rubes and that you are being nice by saying it’s a lawyer that can afford it.

in either case, your lawyer friend is a white male.

In in all cases, :buddy just fuckin with you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to determine how qualifying your friend as a ‘lawyer friend’ affects this CSB.

It would suggest you otherwise have no lawyer friends and consider him special because you hold lawyers in high esteem, but I don’t think this is the case.

Im guessing it’s because you think the DCC is chock full of poor rubes and that you are being nice by saying it’s a lawyer that can afford it.

in either case, your lawyer friend is a white male.

In in all cases, :buddy just fuckin with you.
Maybe it was just my way of saying we are friends professionally, but not really friends outside of the work environment? :unsure

data

Forbes #1
Maybe it was just my way of saying we are friends professionally, but not really friends outside of the work environment? :unsure
When I discuss a tidbit from DCC to my friends, I usually start with "There's this circlejerk of gai boy losers from around the way that are talking about wood pellet grills..."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who would have thought cooking on the barbee would have come to pellets.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Speaking of food...As restaurants go everyone knows that it takes a fairly large breasted waitress to work at Hooters but where can one legged waitresses work? ......................IHOP.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Speaking of food...As restaurants go everyone knows that it takes a fairly large breasted waitress to work at Hooters but where can one legged waitresses work? ......................IHOP.

data

Forbes #1
Sous vide steak. Delicious...simple, virtually foolproof and without the mess

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I got gifted a big slab of pork belly, any recommendations on smoking it? I haven't done one before

@mcnuttz

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sous vide steak. Delicious...simple, virtually foolproof and without the mess
I have yet to try this fad. I heard you can do it in an Instapot.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I got gifted a big slab of pork belly, any recommendations on smoking it? I haven't done one before

@mcnuttz
Terribly sorry for the late reply. Did you smoke it?

I season them much like a pork shoulder then cook em low and slow to about 190.

I also like cutting as much of the skin off as you can get, as the smoke isn't able to get through that side. It's a pain in the ass, but worth it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I also like cutting as much of the skin off as you can get, as the smoke isn't able to get through that side. It's a pain in the ass, but worth it.
Yea I ended up smoking it for about 5 hours until it hit 195. I just scored the skin in a crosshatch and coated it all with ribrub. I wasn't happy with the skin crispiness though so ended up throwing it skin side down on my gas grill for a few minutes. It did end up delicious and was gone in a hurry

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yea I ended up smoking it for about 5 hours until it hit 195. I just scored the skin in a crosshatch and coated it all with ribrub. I wasn't happy with the skin crispiness though so ended up throwing it skin side down on my gas grill for a few minutes. It did end up delicious and was gone in a hurry
I've not found a way to make the skin the way i'd like it, so I've started skinning them before I smoke em.

That pork belly is like candy, really does go quick!

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

I usually score the skin and it allows the smoke to penetrate better. I like having the extra layer of fat to shield it from the heat, so how does yours turn out when you remove the skin? I've never tried it that way.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And even with Covid, Costco still carries Wagyu brisket pretty regularly, which is bad ass. I get Wagyu beef ribs from a Korean specialty market but I've never smoked a Wagyu brisket, and I really want to.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I usually score the skin and it allows the smoke to penetrate better. I like having the extra layer of fat to shield it from the heat, so how does yours turn out when you remove the skin? I've never tried it that way.
How crispy does your skin get? Mine had a slight bark but I wasn't happy with it

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
How crispy does your skin get? Mine had a slight bark but I wasn't happy with it
It's been a mixed bag, actually. It had a stickier and less crispy bark when I kept a water pan in the smoker and smoked it at a lower temp (225). When I smoked the meat between 250-275, without a water pan, and closer to the firebox, I got a really nice bark.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's been a mixed bag, actually. It had a stickier and less crispy bark when I kept a water pan in the smoker and smoked it at a lower temp (225). When I smoked the meat at around 275, without a water pan, and closer to the firebox, I got a really nice bark.
Hmmm, I was around 230ish for most of the one I did and I ended up throwing it on the gas grill fatdown to crisp it more. Maybe I pulled too late? or early? What temp do you pull yours?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm thinking I might pull it around 185 next time and finish it in the oven broiler

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm thinking I might pull it around 185 next time and finish it in the oven broiler
That would absolutely do it. And it shouldn't dry out because it's nearly finished. Let me know how it turns out.

I do something similar when I make pastrami. I smoke it until it reaches 150-155, then put it in a commercial steam pan, seal it in saran wrap and aluminum foil, and steam it in the oven the rest of the way. It's a lot better than smoking it all the way through the cook.

Top Bottom