Plasma vs LED

vince

Not So New Member
So it's that time to get a new TV after years and years of using my 60 in. I'm thinking about going smaller and getting a 55 in. I'm caught in the debate of plasma vs LED. Most of my TV watching is of course sports and movies. (I'm not going with a smart tv either way since I have my bluray player.)

I've heard of plasma's being the best for dimmed environments but I also want to know which type is best for watching sports?

Any suggestions?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Didnt know plasma was still around..

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Should be an old thread around here somewhere with a nice breakdown but-

LED is good if you get the 240 hz and above to minimize motion artifacts. Bright picture, good for rooms with lots of light.

Plasma doesn't have the motion artifact issues, better blacks, but IMO looks best in a controlled lighting environment.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I prefer a plasma for places like my bedroom. I've got a 42" plasma in my room that does well since it is easy to control the light.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Like everybody else says it depends on the lighting, IMO you get more bang for the buck with a plasma especially if your looking to get a 55".

How much are looking to spend?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Plasma runs hotter and will more likely be a catalyst to module breakdown and failure.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes they run hotter but they last as long as most other TV's, I did that research before I bought mine.

vince

Not So New Member
Like everybody else says it depends on the lighting, IMO you get more bang for the buck with a plasma especially if your looking to get a 55".

How much are looking to spend?
The reason for my question is because I went to the local Best Buy and narrowed it down to 2 models, 1 being a 51' Plasma by Samsung and the other being a 55' LED Smart tv by Vizio. The 55' is only $80 more but only has 120hz as opposed to the Plasma which has 600hz which I have been told makes a big difference.

What do you guys think?

I want the picture to be as clear as possible while watching my sports.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The reason for my question is because I went to the local Best Buy and narrowed it down to 2 models, 1 being a 51' Plasma by Samsung and the other being a 55' LED Smart tv by Vizio. The 55' is only $80 more but only has 120hz as opposed to the Plasma which has 600hz which I have been told makes a big difference.

What do you guys think?

I want the picture to be as clear as possible while watching my sports.
Vizio is all over the place concerning their picture quality so I would do some research on that particular model, go to Cnet.

Samsung and Panasonic make the best mid priced plasmas you should be able to get a good 55" in the 700 to 1000 price range what is your budget, I can help you out with some research.

vince

Not So New Member
I read the review on the model I'm looking it on cnet and it gave 4/5 stars. Pretty good tech review. I hope it's as good as the one at bestbuy and walmart on display. It was as clear as the LG's and a couple of the Samsungs. It was just thicker compared the other comparable models. But that's OK.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
I've had a Samsung 51" plasma for around three years and it's been an awesome television for me. I'm amazed at the sharpness and clarity it provides and I've never had a problem with it.

Top Bottom