The Beer Thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sam Adams rebel ipa is the shit.
I'm a huge IPA fan and I was really disappointed. And I usually like West Coast style IPAs. The signature west coast citrusy hops were long on whang and short on kick.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm a huge IPA fan and I was really disappointed. And I usually like West Coast style IPAs. The signature west coast citrusy hops were long on whang and short on kick.
I haven't tried it yet. Not in a hurry to do so. It's not really what they do, so I'm not surprised to hear a West Coast IPA fan like you voice your disappointment. I didn't expect much.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I had a bunch of good beer on a recent trip to Illinois. A few of the best were Surly Furious, Revolution Anti-Hero, Revolution Citra-Hero, and Three Floyds Dreadnaught. All outstanding beers, IMO. Revolution and Three Floyds don't get far outside of the Chicago market I don't think. Surly is out of Minnesota and I'm not sure how widely they distribute.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know crap about beer but my neighbor at my shop is a brewery. Those guys are getting great reviews. My friend is a beer nerd and said their stuff was great.

Guadalupe Brewery is the name.

jeebs

Brand New Member
It is not very ipa'ish, but I still think it is a good flavorful drinking beer (as in you can drink a dozen).

If you were looking for an ipa I can understand the disappointment, but if you were looking for something wih some flavor to slam (like an 805) I think it is a solid choice.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know crap about beer but my neighbor at my shop is a brewery. Those guys are getting great reviews. My friend is a beer nerd and said their stuff was great.

Guadalupe Brewery is the name.
I'll try to check that out. I'll be over on that side of town next week.

junk

Not So New Member
Left Hand Brewing's Sawtooth Ale is solid.

3 Floyds has some solid stuff as well. Tried their Gumball Head and Alpha King over the 4th.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
3 Floyds has some solid stuff as well. Tried their Gumball Head and Alpha King over the 4th.
If you can get your hands on some Zombie Dust, do it. The Dreadnaught is more readily available and that is damn good too.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Stumbled upon another solid beer. Eye of the Hawk.

It's 8% ABV too so that's a huge plus. It's very easy to drink for a beer with an ABV that high.

Also, for your entertainment, here's another one of those artsy reviews from the Beer Advocate.

On Eye of the Hawk: Flavor is also sweet, with toffee notes emerging mid palate, carrying into a light citrus, moderately dry finish. Caramel malt dominates, but the citrus prevents the beer from being cloying.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Also, for your entertainment, here's another one of those artsy reviews from the Beer Advocate.

On Eye of the Hawk: Flavor is also sweet, with toffee notes emerging mid palate, carrying into a light citrus, moderately dry finish. Caramel malt dominates, but the citrus prevents the beer from being cloying.
:lol

Some of these guys take themselves way too seriously.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I didn't even know what the fuck cloying meant until today.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Stumbled upon another solid beer. Eye of the Hawk.

It's 8% ABV too so that's a huge plus. It's very easy to drink for a beer with an ABV that high.

I bought a 6er of Eye of the Hawk about a year ago.

Here's my review:

Bought it, drank them one after the other, got real drunk.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I bought a 6er of Eye of the Hawk about a year ago.

Here's my review:

Bought it, drank them one after the other, got real drunk.
I just have one question for you.

Were the hints of caramel titillating to your palate? And if so, did it bring about euphoric excitement.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I just have one question for you.

Were the hints of caramel titillating to your palate? And if so, did it bring about euphoric excitement.
While the caramel was a little tittilating, the brewed cloyed up my mouth something fierce.

junk

Not So New Member
New Belgium and O'Dells have a collaboration beer called FoCo American Pale Ale. Outstanding.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Of all the beers I can go to my local convenience store and buy at any time, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA is the best. A superior West Coast IPA. @clayallison I know you prefer Big Eye. That one is good, but Sculpin is the shiznit, IMO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Of all the beers I can go to my local convenience store and buy at any time, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA is the best. A superior West Coast IPA. @clayallison I know you prefer Big Eye. That one is good, but Sculpin is the shiznit, IMO.
I have some Big Eye in my fridge right now actually. I'll have to give Sculpin another shot. Tried some 512 IPA from your area over the weekend at Hopdoddy, it was amazing.

Top Bottom