Random Tech thread.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Any of you guys have Chromecast or Apple TV? [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION]

If so, can it stream Amazon Prime and does it have a built in browser so I can watch YouTube directly through it? Or does everything have to come from your mobile device/laptop?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

If so, can it stream Amazon Prime and does it have a built in browser so I can watch YouTube directly through it? Or does everything have to come from your mobile device/laptop?
Chromecast doesn't stream. It just projects from a device. Like I can cast this tab up to my TV using Chromecast and surf the board on my TV. So, you can stream Amazon on your laptop and cast it up to your TV.

In short... yes to your second question.

Not sure about Apple TV.

Jiggyfly

Banned

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2015/04/28/the-tiny-intel-compute-stick-attacking-the-pc-market-from-the-bottom/

The Tiny Intel Compute Stick: Attacking The PC Market From The Bottom
Comment Now Follow Comments

One of Intel INTC +0.1%’s biggest advantages over its competitors is the company’s advanced manufacturing processes. Intel’s manufacturing capabilities not only allows them to produce ultra-high-performance, big, multi-core processors—like the powerful Core i7-5960X, for example—but smaller, much lower-power parts like its line of Atom processors. Intel’s advanced manufacturing processes also affords the company the ability to shrink technologies previously reserved for much larger form factors, down into devices where a full-fledges x86 processor simply wouldn’t work a few years ago.

Intel’s recently released Compute Stick is a perfect example. I had the chance to play with the Compute Stick and though the device isn’t perfect, I couldn’t help but be impressed by it. If you’re unfamiliar with the Intel Compute Stick, it is essentially an entire quad-core PC, crammed into a tiny enclosure that’s about the size of a pack of gum. Admittedly, it’s not a powerful PC, but it can run full-blown Windows and do what many mainstream PCs can. In fact, the $149 Compute Stick includes Windows 8.1 with Bing pre-installed.

Inside the Compute Stick I took a look at is a quad-core Intel INTC +0.1% Atom processor model Z3735F (1.33GHz) with integrated Intel HD graphics, 2GB of DDR3 memory, and 32GB of internal storage, 19.2GB of which is usable out of the box. If 32GB isn’t enough space, there is also a micro-SD expansion slot that supports cards up to 128GB. The Compute Stick’s got built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, and a single, full-sized USB port as well. And there is an additional micro-USB port on the device too, but that’s used for providing power—not connecting peripherals. A cheaper $100 version of the Compute Stick with Ubuntu Linux and 1GB of memory is coming too.

The Compute Stick is designed to plug into the HDMI port on a display, like an HDTV, to turn it into a basic PC. And in this regard, the Compute Stick does exactly what it was meant to do. Simply plug the Compute Stick into a display, provide power via an included USB adapter (or simply plug it into a USB port), hit the power button, and the thing boots right into Windows. You’ll need to connect input devices too, but other than that it’s ready to go.

The Compute Stick is meant for a few different use cases. For one, it makes a great little HTPC. Playing back videos on the device works great and it’s an ideal candidate for media front-ends like KODI. The Compute Stick is also perfectly cable of streaming games from Steam using the client’s in-home streaming capabilities, though Intel recommends using an add-on 802.11ac Wi-Fi controller or hardwiring the Compute Stick to a network with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter for optimal performance. If the Compute Stick is close enough to an 802.11n AP, it will work for Steam streaming, however (I tested it with the built-in Wi-Fi and an Asus RT-AC68U). The device also makes for a great thin-client for remotely accessing a more powerful PC, or for things like digital signage.

I have benchmarks, video, and more information in my full review. But suffice it to say, the Intel Compute stick packs the capabilities of the PC into an incredibly tiny space. Performance isn’t stellar, but there’s only so much horsepower than can be packed into something 12mm thin.

Cotton

Staff member
$149?? Fuck that. I paid like 35 bucks for Chromecast and it works great. And, I can do everything from a faster PC.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Roku has tons of apps that will fit most anything you want to do including you tube and mediaplayers that will connect to your pc v ia wireless. Of course there is a ton of streaming subscription apps. It cast about 49.oo.

Cotton

Staff member
Roku has tons of apps that will fit most anything you want to do including you tube and mediaplayers that will connect to your pc v ia wireless. Of course there is a ton of streaming subscription apps. It cast about 49.oo.
THERE IS NO BROWSER IN THAT DEVICE!!!!

Cotton

Staff member
Roku anyone?
The Roku doesn't have browser capabilities. Just apps. I have one, and I like it. But, to be able to cast a browser to your TV, Chromecast is the best I have seen. But, again, I haven't messed with Apple TV.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Roku doesn't have browser capabilities. Just apps. I have one, and I like it. But, to be able to cast a browser to your TV, Chromecast is the best I have seen. But, again, I haven't messed with Apple TV.
That's why i say some smart tv's have a built in browser and if you have one of those a Roku (or other) will suffice.

Cotton

Staff member
That's why i say some smart tv's have a built in browser and if you have one of those a Roku (or other) will suffice.
The Roku won't let you cast a browser. Chromecast will.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Roku won't let you cast a browser. Chromecast will.
The Sharp i had had a seperate browzer function independent of the Roku devise. It was a smart feature along with other built in apps independent of device apps.

Cotton

Staff member
The Sharp i had had a seperate browzer function independent of the Roku devise. It was a smart feature along with other built in apps independent of device apps.
Cool, so talk about that and not the Roku.

Top Bottom