Random Tech thread.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
IS that your home theater Unc or just some examples of ones that that company did?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
IS that your home theater Unc or just some examples of ones that that company did?
That is mine.

The first thing people do is ask how much it cost, and they are stunned to find out the design cost more than the actual construction.

Its mostly wood and fabric.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That is mine.

The first thing people do is ask how much it cost, and they are stunned to find out the design cost more than the actual construction.

Looks like 2 different rooms, but both look amazing. Bully for you Unc!

UncleMilti

Staff member
Looks like 2 different rooms, but both look amazing. Bully for you Unc!
I may have put a framing pic in from the beginning that we ended up changing. There were several changes we made along the way, especially to the floor.

Erskine actually drew everything in 3D, which was really cool.

EDIT: Yes, Fort you are right...that first pic is the original layout of the room which was going to have an anamorphic screen. We ended up going with a regular HD screen, which means we changed the front layout. Good eye.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Oh yeah, I see it now with the sound stuff behind where the screen goes. They did an amazing job though. How big was the open room before they did the construction?

UncleMilti

Staff member
Oh yeah, I see it now with the sound stuff behind where the screen goes. They did an amazing job though. How big was the open room before they did the construction?
It started out at 20'X24'

I think once everything was framed in and all the columns were in it shrunk to 17'x19'

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That being the case I've got plenty of room. Our upstairs bonus room is about 24x30. Plus I've got about an additional 30 Sq ft in a nook area that I've built a bar/snack bar in.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So you lost about 1.5 to 2 ft in either wall for the padding, sound proofing and framed up columns?

UncleMilti

Staff member
So you lost about 1.5 to 2 ft in either wall for the padding, sound proofing and framed up columns?
Yes...if I remember correctly, it was about 2' or so on each wall where the columns are, about 1' where the soundproofing was...I believe the front was 4' and 1' at the back wall.

The soundproofing mat is only 1"-2" thick or so.

I can open up the left "column" and get behind the screen. My equipment is framed into a cubby on the right rear side. Its accessible thru a door/closet outside the theater room.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yes...if I remember correctly, it was about 2' or so on each wall where the columns are, about 1' where the soundproofing was...I believe the front was 4' and 1' at the back wall.

The soundproofing mat is only 1"-2" thick or so.

I can open up the left "column" and get behind the screen. My equipment is framed into a cubby on the right rear side. Its accessible thru a door/closet outside the theater room.
I built an AC'd closet in the room with the intent of my media server and stereo stuff going in there once I decided how we would build it out. I love the thought of doing what you did, but doubt I'll build it out so elaborately. Yours is gorgeous. Our ceiling is a tray from 8 to 9 ft so I could hang a projector, but we'll see. Maybe I'll do the large LED for everything else and a drop down screen with a projector for movie nights.

UncleMilti

Staff member
That being the case I've got plenty of room. Our upstairs bonus room is about 24x30. Plus I've got about an additional 30 Sq ft in a nook area that I've built a bar/snack bar in.
Yes, absolutely. What is ceiling height?

I know Erskine had a special size they wanted to stay in- they seemed to like odd sizes...like 17x19..21x23, etc. I know they made me buy another subwoofer to even out the bass.

:mad

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That is mine.

Thanks for the design.

I'm going to build one just like it with my Ryobis.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Let me know if you need help forts...I can give you the material names they used in mine. You obviously know about framing, and that's the biggest piece of the puzzle. Many guys simply frame the columns, frame the 30" wings at the front of the screen, hang sheetrock on them, and paint. Erskine gave me a projector distance and height calculator too if you need help with distance, throw, etc. I think you can find them on the interwebs, but I have it if you need help.

Last edited:

UncleMilti

Staff member
Thanks for the design.

I'm going to build one just like it with my Ryobis.
I think a pergola in your family room is in order.

:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So I guess now a 70" with a Bose system is just a pile of Crap. I am embarrassed to admit I own it.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yes, absolutely. What is ceiling height?

I know Erskine had a special size they wanted to stay in- they seemed to like odd sizes...like 17x19..21x23, etc. I know they made me buy another subwoofer to even out the bass.

:mad
I thought I've read that before but forgot about it. But it has to do with sound waves and how they travel. I looked it up and this is what one website said:

"Room width should be 1.6 times the height and the length should be 2.6 times the room height..."

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

UncleMilti

Staff member
So I guess now a 70" with a Bose system is just a pile of Crap. I am embarrassed to admit I own it.
:lol

whatever LT..I have seen your pad on the debil faceebooks....you are kicking with the best of us.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Let me know if you need help forts...I can give you the material names they used in mine. You obviously know about framing, and that's the biggest piece of the puzzle. Many guys simply frame the columns, frame the 30" wings at the front of the screen, hang sheetrock on them, and paint. Erskine gave me a projector distance and height calculator too if you need help with distance, throw, etc. I think you can find them on the interwebs, but I have it if you need help.
Thanks Unc. I'm sure when the time comes I'll have questions.

No LT it isn't. In fact I'll likely do that and then an inexpensive projector later for movie night. But Mine will have to be an 80" LED! :towel

Top Bottom