Random Tech thread.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Have any of you guys had your phone repaired at one of these shops that do that?

My screen had been cracked for a while but it's getting to the point that it's losing functionality. And I'm in the unusual position of really liking my older phone that has some features I can't really get anymore... Actually I can, but they're lower level phones that don't get good reviews.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Have any of you guys had your phone repaired at one of these shops that do that?

My screen had been cracked for a while but it's getting to the point that it's losing functionality. And I'm in the unusual position of really liking my older phone that has some features I can't really get anymore... Actually I can, but they're lower level phones that don't get good reviews.
Nope. I just trade it in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I did, mostly because I had a S22 and it was only a few months old. But I almost bought a new one because I can't really afford to not have a phone for even one day. And in that case the crack caused the screen to go black after a period of time.

I ended up fixing it and borrowing my daughter IPhone for a day. Which I hated by the way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I did, mostly because I had a S22 and it was only a few months old. But I almost bought a new one because I can't really afford to not have a phone for even one day. And in that case the crack caused the screen to go black after a period of time.

I ended up fixing it and borrowing my daughter IPhone for a day. Which I hated by the way.
How old is your daughter now? Gawd damn. I thought your kids were younger than mine and they don't have iphones yet.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Welp, I called the shop and it was going to cost more for even a generic, non-OE screen than a new phone would cost.

I may just get one like I have off ebay even though it's three or four years old now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How old is your daughter now? Gawd damn. I thought your kids were younger than mine and they don't have iphones yet.
It's my stepdaughter, she is 11. I got her the phone though when she was 9 for her birthday.

My other two are almost 3 and 5. But my five year old is already begging for a phone. I swear kids younger and younger are getting this stuff. But hoping to keep her happy until she is 9.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Welp, I called the shop and it was going to cost more for even a generic, non-OE screen than a new phone would cost.

I may just get one like I have off ebay even though it's three or four years old now.
I used to always try to get the newest phones, but I don't do that anymore. I have had my current phone for about 8 years, and will keep it until it dies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to always try to get the newest phones, but I don't do that anymore. I have had my current phone for about 8 years, and will keep it until it dies.
Yeah my only problem is battery life on a phone starts to suck after a period of time. When that happens I usually get a new phone. As long as the charge can last me all day long (I charge every night) I don't worry about it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I had my Galaxy S9's cracked screen repaired a few years ago and it cost $200 to get it fixed. I ended up trading it in for an S22 about a year later once AT&T started offering free trade-ins.

You're right about missing some older features. Like with my S9, I miss having the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone and having the iris scan feature.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You're right about missing some older features. Like with my S9, I miss having the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone and having the iris scan feature.
For me, it's a headphone jack and, believe it or not, FM radio. I don't always want to have to make sure my BT headphones are charged up. And It's not that often, but sometimes what I want to hear is on good old fashioned radio, and I hate how when streaming you can't flip around to different stations without having to hear a new 30-second ad every damn time. :angry

I was going to get a new phone like I have -- a 2020 flagship -- but it's so old the security updates won't be current, so I guess I'm going to try a midranger and see how that goes. Only real downgrade is an LCD display vs OLED, but maybe it won't bug me too much.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Can’t find the AI thread… I thought we had one…

anyway this video is definitely an AI impersonation of Joe Rogan. Pretty close. They can definitely get AI to copy Madden and Summerall for a new Madden video game.

Top Bottom