Random Tech thread.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
any other Firefox users lose their add-ons today?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Any tech nerds have a drone?

I'm wanting to buy one. Looks like DJI is the only way to go...so that of course brings me into a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum type dilemma. I really don't want to spend 1700.00 on a drone, since any pics or video I take would be viewed on a computer and/or TV.

Any suggestions?

data

Forbes #1
My gawd. Costco has 86” LG television or 82” Samsung for <$2,000.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My gawd. Costco has 86” LG television or 82” Samsung for <$2,000.
TVs have gotten very cheap. It's crazy.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Any tech nerds have a drone?

I'm wanting to buy one. Looks like DJI is the only way to go...so that of course brings me into a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum type dilemma. I really don't want to spend 1700.00 on a drone, since any pics or video I take would be viewed on a computer and/or TV.

Any suggestions?
Did you ever make a decision on this Unc? I've got an older Mavic pro. Here's the deal with the drones. Unless you plan on actually using it a lot, it's an expensive toy that sits. I played with it quite a bit for the first few months I had it and now, I play with it once a month or so. There are smaller, less expensive ones that take pretty good images, that you won't be as disappointed in later when you see that money spent just sitting. Or...look for the refurbished ones on sale.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Did you ever make a decision on this Unc? I've got an older Mavic pro. Here's the deal with the drones. Unless you plan on actually using it a lot, it's an expensive toy that sits. I played with it quite a bit for the first few months I had it and now, I play with it once a month or so. There are smaller, less expensive ones that take pretty good images, that you won't be as disappointed in later when you see that money spent just sitting. Or...look for the refurbished ones on sale.
I did.
I bought a Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it, and I use it to look at my jobs and take pictures of the jobs. I also use it to terrorize the neighborhood kids.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I did.
I bought a Mavic 2 Pro. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of it, and I use it to look at my jobs and take pictures of the jobs. I also use it to terrorize the neighborhood kids.
Did you get the one with the zoom, or the better camera?
I got mine out and played with it for quite a while yesterday. Now it'll sit again. :(

UncleMilti

Staff member
Did you get the one with the zoom, or the better camera?
I got mine out and played with it for quite a while yesterday. Now it'll sit again. :(
I got the one with the better camera. It’s pretty damn nice. I went ahead and got the 2 gigabyte msd card so I could record up to 30 minutes of full 4K video, but I’ve only taken about 6-8 minutes of video at a time right now.
DJI makes a nice drone for sure.

data

Forbes #1
Anyone have an OLED TV? Is it worth the $1,000 premium over LED?

LG LED for $3500 vs Samsung QLED $2500

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I think CRock has one. A few years ago when I was shopping for the TV that I have now I was looking at an OLED and wished I could have afforded it then. Just couldnt justify spending that but will probably get one soon.

data

Forbes #1
I think CRock has one. A few years ago when I was shopping for the TV that I have now I was looking at an OLED and wished I could have afforded it then. Just couldnt justify spending that but will probably get one soon.
@Cowboysrock55

Yeah, I can't be throwing $3500 for a TV, so 65" OLED is $2k.

Coming from a 70" now, is the OLED picture quality worth stepping down to a 65" OLED when I could go bigger for 75" at my current LED picture quality?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

My newest TV in the living room is a Samsung OLED. We really like it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
View attachment 690972

what's wrong with this tv?
Nothing is wrong with it. It is likely a model that isn’t in production any longer and parts may not be available if it needs repair. If you buy on of this variety be sure to buy an extended warranty because if you have a problem with it it cant be repaired and you are high and dry. Extended warranties are cheap and you will get a replacement tv since it can’t be repaired. There is little need to buy the latest technology because the human eye can’t detect the specs that are pumped into them for the most part. Those are hype for selling TVs.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Nothing is wrong with it. It is likely a model that isn’t in production any longer and parts may not be available if it needs repair. If you buy on of this variety be sure to buy an extended warranty because if you have a problem with it it cant be repaired and you are high and dry. Extended warranties are cheap and you will get a replacement tv since it can’t be repaired. There is little need to buy the latest technology because the human eye can’t detect the specs that are pumped into them for the most part. Those are hype for selling TVs.
great points, I'm perfectly happy with the resolution of my 5 year old 55" Vizio, I cant imagine why I'd need to spend over 2K on a new one when the old one I have was around $500 when I bought it

I'm looking for one that is 70"+ for my girlfriend and wondering why the prices vary so greatly

Top Bottom