Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California's economy is now the 5th-biggest in the world, and has overtaken the United Kingdom

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by NoDak View Post
    When did anybody care?
    I had to travel there recently, it’s like a 3rd world country. Couldn’t wait to get the hell out of there.

    Its always been a crummy city for my taste, but it must have turned to absolute shit in the last 8-10 years.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by pdom View Post
      Probably could say the same thing about the United States when comparing ourselves to other first world nations, no?

      ~queue Jeff Daniels The Newsroom speech~
      Difference being that the US can create as much money as needed to meet the needs. A State is limited to what they can collect. The US is to much in debt and that is a given but it can continue to run on deficits. States can only go so far before they ultimately fail and the debtors are wiped out in bankruptcy.
      Since Day One

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by pdom View Post
        i know you live low density, but you probably agree that you can’t have a multi-million population region consisting of only low density.

        So my question is a little bit of a ‘high density area that handled density well’ as well as crafting your own ideal region.
        SF is definitely one high density area that is handled well. Dallas is another in terms of mass transit. LA, Houston and San Diego not so much.
        2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by pdom View Post
          In the grand scheme of things, as an American, what are you more concerned about - California and Californians itself (lifestyle of debauchery, gun control and liberal views) or more concerned how California drags down the United States (fiscally)?

          Another way to put it, would you vote California out of the USA? And, if so, would you then essentially no longer be concerned about what California does when it comes to taxes, immigration stances, Medicare, trains, etc?
          I would want the citizens of the state to start electing people that actually have the citizen's best interest in heart. To stop electing people that are more interested in supporting non citizens than themselves. To elect people that actually want the state to be part of this country and behave like it. That's a beautiful state in many areas that is being ruined by politicians that would rather support causes than be fiscally responsible to their citizens.

          Comment


          • #50
            I'm fine with California leaving the Union. The Democrats will never win another national election and I'm sure we'll have good relationships with them so I can still visit.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by fortsbest View Post
              I would want the citizens of the state to start electing people that actually have the citizen's best interest in heart. To stop electing people that are more interested in supporting non citizens than themselves. To elect people that actually want the state to be part of this country and behave like it. That's a beautiful state in many areas that is being ruined by politicians that would rather support causes than be fiscally responsible to their citizens.
              In other words, vote Republican.....the party that CARES ABOUT THE PEOPLE! .

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by pdom View Post
                In the grand scheme of things, as an American, what are you more concerned about - California and Californians itself (lifestyle of debauchery, gun control and liberal views) or more concerned how California drags down the United States (fiscally)?

                Another way to put it, would you vote California out of the USA? And, if so, would you then essentially no longer be concerned about what California does when it comes to taxes, immigration stances, Medicare, trains, etc?
                I'm cool with California being part of the United States. That's sort of the beauty of separate states. California is vastly different than Texas which is vastly different than Iowa. You can chose where you live to fit your lifestyle! It's why I'm so against an overwhelming Federal Government that tries to dictate everything. Different States should be different.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by mschmidt64 View Post
                  I'm fine with California leaving the Union. The Democrats will never win another national election and I'm sure we'll have good relationships with them so I can still visit.
                  That’s odd. What interests you in California for a visit? Suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    The craft breweries in SD, Napa wine country and gray whale migration tours are maybe the only things worth making a trip out. Everything else is better on the East Coast. Even the porn industry.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by pdom View Post
                      The craft breweries in SD, Napa wine country and gray whale migration tours are maybe the only things worth making a trip out. Everything else is better on the East Coast. Even the porn industry.
                      I lived in Northern California during my teen years. My wife is from California and her family is there. I have relatives there as well. I have visited the state at a minimum of once a year and at times more.

                      I am somewhat familiar with things there but I also know that the state itself is divided over several issues and it is somewhat like the North and South civil war as far as the division goes. The ongoing contention is the water rights issue and the North feel they are getting screwed over because they have the water but the state governs it and gives the South total access for their needs and regulated the farm industry in the North.

                      The people of the North however still stay with the democratic party mind set and can’t understanding the South gets preferential treatment. The state has myriad problems economically and they are just about at the limit of citizen taxation to meet budget requirements. I doubt however that the citizens at large would ever entertain the idea of fixing the problems via a conservative governance structure.
                      Since Day One

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
                        I lived in Northern California during my teen years. My wife is from California and her family is there. I have relatives there as well. I have visited the state at a minimum of once a year and at times more.

                        I am somewhat familiar with things there but I also know that the state itself is divided over several issues and it is somewhat like the North and South civil war as far as the division goes. The ongoing contention is the water rights issue and the North feel they are getting screwed over because they have the water but the state governs it and gives the South total access for their needs and regulated the farm industry in the North.

                        The people of the North however still stay with the democratic party mind set and can’t understanding the South gets preferential treatment. The state has myriad problems economically and they are just about at the limit of citizen taxation to meet budget requirements. I doubt however that the citizens at large would ever entertain the idea of fixing the problems via a conservative governance structure.
                        Los Angeles smartly secured legal rights to water access in the North. What can the North do about it? Colorado River water is a different story and the rise of Phoenix and surrounding areas exacerbated the water supply issue.

                        Prop 13 combined with fractured city vs suburban governance to maintain infrastructure seems to be the main scapegoats for the genesis of budget problems. High cost of housing may be a good thing as residential taxes aren’t enough to sustain the needed services and infrastructure.

                        Oh well, with all the news of people fleeing California, it should be a ghost town around here shortly.

                        Why does your wife’s family stay in California? Seems like there aren’t any redeeming reasons to stay. No water, beaches are polluted, high living costs, human feces, excessive taxation, strict gun rules, gay marriage, illegals, the 49ers, social liberalism and too much ethnic influence (non-assimilation), no Whataburgers...and the gold is gone. You could ask if they’re miserable, masochists or both.

                        The human feces woman. So miserable, yet she stays...for a job that can only be in California? Get a different job then. It’s like those that stayed behind when Katrina evacuations were ordered and they died/suffered.

                        I blame the hippies.
                        Last edited by pdom; 05-10-2018, 07:38 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by pdom View Post
                          Los Angeles smartly secured legal rights to water access in the North. What can the North do about it? Colorado River water is a different story and the rise of Phoenix and surrounding areas exacerbated the water supply issue.

                          Prop 13 combined with fractured city vs suburban governance to maintain infrastructure seems to be the main scapegoats for the genesis of budget problems. High cost of housing may be a good thing as residential taxes aren’t enough to sustain the needed services and infrastructure.

                          Oh well, with all the news of people fleeing California, it should be a ghost town around here shortly.

                          Why does your wife’s family stay in California? Seems like there aren’t any redeeming reasons to stay. No water, beaches are polluted, high living costs, human feces, excessive taxation, strict gun rules, gay marriage, illegals, the 49ers, social liberalism and too much ethnic influence (non-assimilation), no Whataburgers...and the gold is gone. You could ask if they’re miserable, masochists or both.

                          The human feces woman. So miserable, yet she stays...for a job that can only be in California? Get a different job then. It’s like those that stayed behind when Katrina evacuations were ordered and they died/suffered.

                          I blame the hippies.
                          Just curious, why do you stay there? Are you stuck in a job? Do you like it there? I'm not trying to be a dick and these are not meant to be leading questions. I'm genuinely asking.
                          2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Holy Toledo. Just looked up the population stats and California has the highest population, ~30% more than #2 Texas. This is even after counting US citizens only. Why the fuck are there so many people here that have free-range to go anywhere else in the country?

                            Sexual perversion is more powerful than cocaine, it seems.

                            ~hi-fives EZ22~

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
                              Just curious, why do you stay there? Are you stuck in a job? Do you like it there? I'm not trying to be a dick and these are not meant to be leading questions. I'm genuinely asking.
                              You good. We all good. I know you’re not trying to be a dick. None of us are. It’s just funny how California has so many problems, yet there are still so many people coming here. I don’t know the stats, but I’m guessing the amount of white-collar, college-educated new residents (gross, not net) outnumbers the amount of new illegals coming into this state. I meet so many people that just moved here that are from the Midwest, heartland and New York City even. It’s baffling.

                              Im here cuz I like Korean BBQ.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by pdom View Post
                                You good. We all good. I know you’re not trying to be a dick. None of us are. It’s just funny how California has so many problems, yet there are still so many people coming here. I don’t know the stats, but I’m guessing the amount of white-collar, college-educated new residents (gross, not net) outnumbers the amount of new illegals coming into this state. I meet so many people that just moved here that are from the Midwest, heartland and New York City even. It’s baffling.

                                Im here cuz I like Korean BBQ.


                                You know you can get that shit in Texas, too, right?
                                2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X