Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California's economy is now the 5th-biggest in the world, and has overtaken the United Kingdom

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Have you ever been to Houston?
    Well, I guess I meant big-city lifestyle in that you don’t need a car to get around and can rely on public transportation. Could you enjoy city living in Texas without a car? Can’t even do that in San Diego, San Jose or Los Angeles.

You, Mr. Bike Boy, should know what I’m talking about.

The author’s last two residences are Manhattan and SF city. Furthermore, her commute to work is an hour outside of SF city, so it’s peculiar why she chooses to live in the City when she seemingly hates it vehemently...and she has a car, which makes it even tougher to live in the City (finding parking, avoiding tickets, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by pdom View Post
      Well, I guess I meant big-city lifestyle in that you don’t need a car to get around and can rely on public transportation. Could you enjoy city living in Texas without a car? Can’t even do that in San Diego, San Jose or Los Angeles.

You, Mr. Bike Boy, should know what I’m talking about.

The author’s last two residences are Manhattan and SF city. Furthermore, her commute to work is an hour outside of SF city, so it’s peculiar why she chooses to live in the City when she seemingly hates it vehemently...and she has a car, which makes it even tougher to live in the City (finding parking, avoiding tickets, etc)
      SF does have a very good TDM presence. It's not on the level of say a Portland, but way better than Houston.
      2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

SF does have a very good TDM presence. It's not on the level of say a Portland, but way better than Houston.
        Why you think Portland’s better? You referring to just within downtown, or region-wide?

Portland’s size of big-city lifestyle is tiny compared to SF. I wanna say downtown Portland is maybe 10x10 blocks (I could be wrong but if felt that way when I was there) and seemed like there was much less downtown housing as well (compared to SF).

Comment

Please elaborate on the magnitude of the problem of non-citizens in California. If they magically disappeared and never came back, are we talking about this eliminating, say, 80-90%, 50% or 20% of fiscal problems? How much lower could the excessive taxation be reduced, as well as how many (b)millions would be saved from federal funds?

Also, is the presence of non-citizens primarily a fiscal concern, or would their elimination also resolve some/most/all concerns of overcrowded/underfunded classrooms, hospital beds, high housing costs and crimes and prisons/police force?

I guess, in a nutshell, if you magically snap your fingers and change one thing to fix the biggest problem of California, would it be the disappearance of non-citizens, changing liberal leadership (and taxation) but non-citizens still in CA, or something else entirely different?
          California has so many excessive programs you really cannot just extract one thing and solve the problems. The state retirement programs are extremely excessive and are probably will have to be refined or go into bankruptcy. The costs of illegal citizens is tremendous.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...all-states-89b.

The “Train” has been costing billioms and not one inch of track has been built.. On and on. The programs of the cost and abuse of Medicare and welfare is out of control because people have chosen to be supported in this manner rather than work at menial jobs.

The entire budget needs a hard review by conservative types to cut the fat away. There is just too many ways to circumvent the funding.
          Since Day One

Comment

Why you think Portland’s better? You referring to just within downtown, or region-wide?

Portland’s size of big-city lifestyle is tiny compared to SF. I wanna say downtown Portland is maybe 10x10 blocks (I could be wrong but if felt that way when I was there) and seemed like there was much less downtown housing as well (compared to SF).
            Portland's bike system in particular is one of the best in the world, but they many other TDM programs as well. It might be smaller than SF but it has done well in its TDM efforts. And, yes, I have been to both.

Comment

Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
              California has so many excessive programs you really cannot just extract one thing and solve the problems. The state retirement programs are extremely excessive and are probably will have to be refined or go into bankruptcy. The costs of illegal citizens is tremendous.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...all-states-89b.

The “Train” has been costing billioms and not one inch of track has been built.. On and on. The programs of the cost and abuse of Medicare and welfare is out of control because people have chosen to be supported in this manner rather than work at menial jobs.

The entire budget needs a hard review by conservative types to cut the fat away. There is just too many ways to circumvent the funding.
              In the grand scheme of things, as an American, what are you more concerned about - California and Californians itself (lifestyle of debauchery, gun control and liberal views) or more concerned how California drags down the United States (fiscally)?

Another way to put it, would you vote California out of the USA? And, if so, would you then essentially no longer be concerned about what California does when it comes to taxes, immigration stances, Medicare, trains, etc?

Comment

Portland's bike system in particular is one of the best in the world, but they many other TDM programs as well. It might be smaller than SF but it has done well in its TDM efforts. And, yes, I have been to both.
                Considering housing density, mixed-use developments and public transportation, put together your perfect super-region. I'm interested to understand what you like when it comes to high vs ultra-high density, percentage of high vs low density, urban/suburban/exurban.

Comment

Please elaborate on the magnitude of the problem of non-citizens in California. If they magically disappeared and never came back, are we talking about this eliminating, say, 80-90%, 50% or 20% of fiscal problems? How much lower could the excessive taxation be reduced, as well as how many (b)millions would be saved from federal funds?

Also, is the presence of non-citizens primarily a fiscal concern, or would their elimination also resolve some/most/all concerns of overcrowded/underfunded classrooms, hospital beds, high housing costs and crimes and prisons/police force?

I guess, in a nutshell, if you magically snap your fingers and change one thing to fix the biggest problem of California, would it be the disappearance of non-citizens, changing liberal leadership (and taxation) but non-citizens still in CA, or something else entirely different?
                  Wouldn't that also eliminate a high % of the workforce?
                  2018 Pickem Champion

Comment

Considering housing density, mixed-use developments and public transportation, put together your perfect super-region. I'm interested to understand what you like when it comes to high vs ultra-high density, percentage of high vs low density, urban/suburban/exurban.
                    Well, personally, I obviously prefer low density. I'm not a fan of living in a high density area hence why I live out in the country. Or, are you asking me what I believe to be a high density area that has handled the density well?

Comment

California has the highest poverty rate in the United States when you figure in cost of living. Not really sure they should be the shinning star for Liberals to hold up. Just saying.

Comment

Anyway the questions arose as a result of BiPo’s post about how California had such a large economy and I challanged whether they have an economy or a bloated case of bankruptsy in the works and call it an economy.
                        Since Day One

Comment

Well, personally, I obviously prefer low density. I'm not a fan of living in a high density area hence why I live out in the country. Or, are you asking me what I believe to be a high density area that has handled the density well?
                          i know you live low density, but you probably agree that you can’t have a multi-million population region consisting of only low density.

So my question is a little bit of a ‘high density area that handled density well’ as well as crafting your own ideal region.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                            California has the highest poverty rate in the United States when you figure in cost of living. Not really sure they should be the shinning star for Liberals to hold up. Just saying.
                            Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
                            Anyway the questions arose as a result of BiPo’s post about how California had such a large economy and I challanged whether they have an economy or a bloated case of bankruptsy in the works and call it an economy.
                            Probably could say the same thing about the United States when comparing ourselves to other first world nations, no?

~queue Jeff Daniels The Newsroom speech~

Comment

When did San Francisco turn into such a huge shithole?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheik View Post
                                When did San Francisco turn into such a huge shithole?
                                When did anybody care?

Comment

Working...
                                X