Oprah Winfrey calls out sexual harassers in powerful Globes speech: 'Their time is up'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oprah Winfrey calls out sexual harassers in powerful Globes speech: 'Their time is up'

Entertainment Weekly
Ruth Kinane
9 hrs ago

Oprah Winfrey brought the Golden Globes crowd to its feet with a powerful speech during Sunday’s ceremony, calling out sexual harassers around the world: “Their time has come.”

Making a plea for a free press, Winfrey said, “I want to say I value the press more than ever before as we try to navigate these complicated times Which brings me to this: What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have. I’m especially proud and inspired by all the woman who felt strong enough and empowered enough to speak up and share their personal stories.”

Men and women at Sunday’s Golden Globes showed remarkable solidarity in protesting sexual harassment and sexual assault in Hollywood and the world at large, promoting the new Time’s Up initiative and also wearing black to express unity.

“This year, we became the story. But it’s not just a story affecting the entertainment industry, it’s one that transcenceds any culture, or workplace,” Winfrey said, before noting that sexual misconduct affects women and men in industries that stretch beyond Hollywood.

Winfrey then pivoted her speech by telling the story of Recy Taylor, who was raped by a group of white men in Alabama in 1944.

“Recy Taylor died 10 days ago. She lived too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men. Women were not believed,” Winfrey said, before adding to the abusive men, “their time is up.”

For years, Winfrey was known as the queen of the daytime talk show with The Oprah Winfrey Show, which ran for 25 seasons from September 8, 1986, to May 25, 2011, while also scoring lead roles in critically acclaimed movies — many of which she also produced. In 1985, she costarred in Steven Spielberg’s The Color Purple, a role for which she received a Golden Globe nomination. In 1998, she produced and starred in the movie adaptation of Toni Morrison’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, Beloved, and later in Lee Daniels’ The Butler and Ava DuVernay’s Selma. She is also the Chairman and CEO of the cable network, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, and founder of O, The Oprah Magazine.

Winfrey’s charitable endeavors include establishing The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa to provide education for girls from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The philanthropist returns to the big screen in March 2018 with the upcoming Disney adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s sci-fi novel A Wrinkle in Time, in which she costars alongside Mindy Kaling and Reese Witherspoon.

Although Winfrey is the first black woman to earn the Cecil B. DeMille award, she is the 15th women and the fourth black person among the previous 64 winners.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Oprah for president in 2020 they are saying now.

Definitely an upgrade.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
#metoo

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I bet there were some uncomfortable pervs clapping and pretending.

I haven’t masterbated in women’s dressing rooms since this has been at the forefront.

#ithastostartsomewhere

Newt

DCC 4Life

Definitely an upgrade.
Upgrade? I guess she has more credentials because of all her political experience, did she play a politician on TV or something? Maybe I missed it, she gave people free cars one time, definitely presidential material.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
She made a name for herself giving away free shit. No wonder she's a Dem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Definitely an upgrade.
I was watching that speech and I think it came off as a cheap attention grab personally. Basically lets attack white males by hitting up the African American community and the feminist community. But at the same time, I said this cheesy ass speech sounds a lot like she wants to run for President next.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Upgrade? I guess she has more credentials because of all her political experience, did she play a politician on TV or something? Maybe I missed it, she gave people free cars one time, definitely presidential material.
Maybe because she's not a narcissistic man child that embarrasses the country on a regular basis like the current cunt in office.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Maybe because she's not a narcissistic man child that embarrasses the country on a regular basis like the current cunt in office.
Nope, she would just be a narcissistic woman that could embarrass the country on a regular basis.

midswat

... soon
Trump needs to get off the twitter sometimes, but he’s getting amazing results and America is much better today than it was the 8-12 years before his presidency.

Oprah? I’m sure all the Hollywood execs regret sexually harassing her. Poor girl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trump needs to get off the twitter sometimes, but he’s getting amazing results and America is much better today than it was the 8-12 years before his presidency.

Oprah? I’m sure all the Hollywood execs regret sexually harassing her. Poor girl.
It's sad. The country actually is headed in the right direction under Trump. But his twitter and things he says seems to always shoot him in the foot and frankly be embarassing. Still I'll take an embarrassing President reducing taxes and having the economy pointed in the right direction over a President who has the country going in the wrong direction but is very Presidential acting.

Oprah by the way would be both embarrassing and have the country headed in the wrong direction. I want nothing to do with that.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I might go to one of her rallies just to see what she hid under my chair that day.

Does anyone actually know a person that has went to a daytime talk show?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might go to one of her rallies just to see what she hid under my chair that day.

That's true, I wouldn't mind some free shit.

midswat

... soon

I once was banging this married chick who’s husband I knew and talked to regularly. Not saying it to brag because I’m not exactly proud of it. One time while having pillow talk, she confided that she was growing strong feelings for me and a severe disdain for her husband. She started joking that she thought we should go on the Jerry Springer show and reveal the affair. But the more she talked about it, the more she liked the idea and wanted to do it. Almost to the point where she was getting excited at the idea. I told her, I said “Listen I don’t mind doing this, but what are you going to tell sheik? How are you gonna get him on the show?” Ultimately I broke up with her before she ever put the wheels in motion on that thing.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I once was banging this married chick who’s husband I knew and talked to regularly. Not saying it to brag because I’m not exactly proud of it. One time while having pillow talk, she confided that she was growing strong feelings for me and a severe disdain for her husband. She started joking that she thought we should go on the Jerry Springer show and reveal the affair. But the more she talked about it, the more she liked the idea and wanted to do it. Almost to the point where she was getting excited at the idea. I told her, I said “Listen I don’t mind doing this, but what are you going to tell sheik? How are you gonna get him on the show?” Ultimately I broke up with her before she ever put the wheels in motion on that thing.
She convinced me to go on the Steve Wilkos Show under false pretenses, she admitted she once had sex with a transgender person she found on Craigslist.

So I know.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
She convinced me to go on the Steve Wilkos Show under false pretenses, she admitted she once had sex with a transgender person she found on Craigslist.

So I know.
:lol

Sheik with the overhand right.... DOWN GOES MIDSWAT!!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeez. This is not what I expected when I saw there were replies to the thread.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

So I know.
That is......... fantastic.

Top Bottom