Feel good thread...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Not to go all Hos and divert attention to myself but it is a great feeling when you provide random acts of kindness to complete strangers.

I've done it every few months or so for the last year and a half. Nothing to the degree of the lady from Walmart but quietly paying for a meal/drink here and there. The reason I started doing it wasn't due to the whole "pay it forward" thing. I started doing it because of the kindness others have shown me while I'm out and about in uniform.

I can't count the number of times that complete strangers have randomly volunteered to purchase my meal or restaurant managers have comped my order.

So one day I thought to myself, instead of always being a beneficiary, the right thing to do would be for me to pass on a few simple acts of generosity of my own.

So if you're ever down in Miami and the employee in the drive-thru window informs you that your 6 piece McNuggets have already been paid for, it might just be me. ~pats self on back for showing how good of a guy I am~
Good stuff.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
In Fort Worth so many people pay for my meals when I'm in uniform and if I find out who they are I always make it a point to talk to them a few minutes and thank them. It is uncomfortable for me to have strangers buy a meal for me but it happens tons here. I try to do the same every other week or so since I'm so blessed. I love this city.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Very freakin' cool. Love this thread, man. I really do. This type of thing is what we need more of. Not to get all sappy and shit, but it's the truth. We need more love in this world. Love will fix all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not to go all Hos and divert attention to myself but it is a great feeling when you provide random acts of kindness to complete strangers.

I've done it every few months or so for the last year and a half. Nothing to the degree of the lady from Walmart but quietly paying for a meal/drink here and there. The reason I started doing it wasn't due to the whole "pay it forward" thing. I started doing it because of the kindness others have shown me while I'm out and about in uniform.

I can't count the number of times that complete strangers have randomly volunteered to purchase my meal or restaurant managers have comped my order.

So one day I thought to myself, instead of always being a beneficiary, the right thing to do would be for me to pass on a few simple acts of generosity of my own.

So if you're ever down in Miami and the employee in the drive-thru window informs you that your 6 piece McNuggets have already been paid for, it might just be me. ~pats self on back for showing how good of a guy I am~
Well done, man.

Although.....it's too bad you weren't in this giving mood when we linked up for beer and burgers at Christian's Tailgate that one time.

:unsure

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well done, man.

Although.....it's too bad you weren't in this giving mood when we linked up for beer and burgers at Christian's Tailgate that one time.

:unsure
I'd just come off a 12-month deployment a few weeks prior. Therefore you should have been buying me drinks that day and thanking me for saving 'Murica from the evil Taliban. I expected some Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" blaring through the restaurant speakers as soon as I stepped foot in that place.

You let me down that day.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd just come off a 12-month deployment a few weeks prior. Therefore you should have been buying me drinks that day and thanking me for saving 'Murica from the evil Taliban. I expected some Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" blaring through the restaurant speakers as soon as I stepped foot in that place.

You let me down that day.
So, pretty much Ace hates America.

Cotton

Staff member
It was as if he burned a flag at my feet and spit in my face.
I had a feeling about that guy. Being as he is a southern Mexican and everything. Can't trust those guys.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION] will know who I am talking about......

The American Legion here where I live is going to get a new building and its long overdue because they are run down. They are going to dedicate it to Elizabeth Laird or better known as The Hug Lady.

Elizabeth Laird, Fort Hood’s “Hug Lady”

Twelve years and counting, Salvation Army volunteer Elizabeth Laird, the “Hug Lady” of Fort Hood, has been hugging every soldier being deployed or returning home from duty.

Elizabeth and her husband, Ray, moved to Texas more than 40 years ago. They became long-time volunteers for The Salvation Army serving as bell ringers and disaster relief workers, and actively supporting their local Salvation Army unit in Copperas Cove.

In 2003, Elizabeth received a phone call from the commanding officer of The Salvation Army Killeen Corps asking for help greeting soldiers at Fort Hood, the largest active duty armored post in the U.S. Armed Services.

Being a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, Elizabeth knew this was something she and her husband wanted to be part of. The couple joined other volunteers sending off soldiers with a smile and a hug along with stationery and postage to send letters to their loved ones while deployed.

So began years of dedicated service to thousands of soldiers at Fort Hood, Ray passed away suddenly in January of 2008 and despite her grief Elizabeth continued her faithful service to the soldiers without her husband of 36 years. “Even in grief, when you help others, it helps you,” explained Elizabeth. “The hug is important to the soldiers and it brings a smile to their face.” “As they leave, I tell them about God’s protection in the 91st Psalm,” she said. “When I hug them, I tell them ‘I will be here when you get back.’”

Elizabeth, 82, does not consider herself selfless or extraordinary. “Volunteering and encouraging others is what you are supposed to do. That is what The Salvation Army does; where there is a need, the Army is there to meet it,” she said. “People might recognize me as the Hug Lady, but I don’t want people to see me, I want them to see Jesus.”

Cotton

Staff member
I didn't write the article. Do you send any illegal to jail?
I said none of that in here. Don't make me rebuild this thread, because I will.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION] will know who I am talking about......

The American Legion here where I live is going to get a new building and its long overdue because they are run down. They are going to dedicate it to Elizabeth Laird or better known as The Hug Lady.
Yep, I know of her. Got a few hugs from her and I believe I still have the bible scripture she gave me on my way out on my last deployment. It was Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

She died back in 2015. I had no idea she was nationally known until I saw the story of her death on most of the major news networks and websites.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This is he feel good thread, folks. Get outta here with that.

Top Bottom