50 dead in mass shooting at Gay Night Club in Orlando

townsend

Banned
Another 30 or so were saved by law enforcement who took down the shooter.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What We Know About the Suspected Orlando Nightclub Shooter
By LEE FERRAN JAMES GORDON MEEK JOSH MARGOLIN MICHAEL EDISON HAYDEN
Jun 12, 2016, 12:04 PM ET
Email
Star
PlayObtained by ABC News
WATCH Officials Discuss What Is Currently Known About Orlando Nightclub Shooting
Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old U.S.-born citizen, has been identified as the suspect in Sunday's mass shooting that left at least 50 dead and more than 50 others wounded at the Pulse Nightclub, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

Mateen's parents were born in Afghanistan, and he was "on the radar" of U.S. officials for some time, but was not the target of a specific investigation, law enforcement officials told ABC News.

At Least 50 Dead in Orlando Gay Club Shooting, Officials Say

A police officer working at the club responded to shots fired at 2:02 a.m., and then exchanged fire with Mateen, according to police. Mateen then took hostages, holding them for hours.

At approximately 5 a.m., the SWAT team made the decision to rescue the hostages, officials said. Mateen was killed in a gunfight with those officers early this morning.

FBI assistant agent in charge of the agency's Tampa division, Ron Hopper, said this morning investigators were "looking at all angles right now" to find a motive.

"We do have suggestions that that individual may have leanings towards that, that particular ideology [Islamic extremism]. But right now we can’t say definitively, so we’re still running everything around," he said.

Florida Sen. Bill Nelson later said that information from intelligence sources indicated there "appears to be a link to Islamic radicalism ... some kind of connection to ISIS."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What in the hell is wrong with people?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
According to the gunman's father, he apparently got "angry when he saw two men kissing" several months ago.

D

Deuce

According to the gunman's father, he apparently got "angry when he saw two men kissing" several months ago.
Lots of people thinking that this is dad making an excuse to deflect the ISIS connections people are making. Makes sense, but at the same time makes the whole family look like assholes.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Sad. very sad. But the left tards are already pounding the gun control drums. I bet the pres does the same today rather than offer comfort to the families.

townsend

Banned
I get annoyed at any political jockeying that happens in the wake of a tragedy. There's no quick fix for this kind of stuff. If there was it wouldn't be a world wide problem suffered by 3rd world countries, first world countries, religious countries, secular countries, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, The US, and Europe.

If some political solution could stop this from happening, it would have happened already.

Genghis Khan

Lots of people thinking that this is dad making an excuse to deflect the ISIS connections people are making. Makes sense, but at the same time makes the whole family look like assholes.
As TO famously said, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Genghis Khan

I think most likely, similar to the California shooting, this guy is a sympathizer with ISIS but acted on his own.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
ISIS does that. They'd take credit for an earthquake.
Nation of Islam is Isis? Isn't that a generic name for them? I wonder what affiliation it is.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
Nation of Islam is Isis? Isn't that a generic name for them? I wonder what affiliation it is.
Nation of Islam is actually a black Islamic movement, Famously led by Malcolm X, ISIS or ISIL also refer to themselves as the Islamic state.
They're also referred to as Daesh. Which means something like zealot/extremist, apparently they hate it, which is a good reason to adopt the term.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nation of Islam is actually a black Islamic movement, Famously led by Malcolm X, ISIS or ISIL also refer to themselves as the Islamic state.
They're also referred to as Daesh. Which means something like zealot/extremist, apparently they hate it, which is a good reason to adopt the term.
That's correct. ISIS is Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. That is what confused me about the news report because the way it was reported when I heard it said the Islamic State which seemed to imply the domestic group.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's correct. ISIS is Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. That is what confused me about the news report because the way it was reported when I heard it said the Islamic State which seemed to imply the domestic group.
I think the report actually said Islamic Nation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Islam is by nature homophobic, as are evangelical Christians. I fail to understand why people are trying to define this attack.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Apparently the shooter's father is a television personality for an Afghan public access channel out of California. He has praised the Taliban and proclaimed himself the rightful President of Afghanistan.

This begs the question, why is there a pro-Taliban public access channel allowed to operate out of California?

Top Bottom