50 dead in mass shooting at Gay Night Club in Orlando

townsend

Banned
Apparently the shooter's father is a television personality for an Afghan public access channel out of California. He has praised the Taliban and proclaimed himself the rightful President of Afghanistan.

This begs the question, why is there a pro-Taliban public access channel allowed to operate out of California?
Free speech. Same reason white supremacist message boards and Ku Klux Klan marches are allowed to proceed uninhibited.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Apparently the shooter's father is a television personality for an Afghan public access channel out of California. He has praised the Taliban and proclaimed himself the rightful President of Afghanistan.

This begs the question, why is there a pro-Taliban public access channel allowed to operate out of California?
Free country, dood.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Free speech. Same reason white supremacist message boards and Ku Klux Klan marches are allowed to proceed uninhibited.
I guess I am just surprised that in this era of what LT says are temporary emergency measures used to monitor everyone, a pro-enemy tv channel hasn't had everyone involved with it ripped apart by investigations.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Islam is by nature homophobic, as are evangelical Christians. I fail to understand why people are trying to define this attack.
Because evangelicals aren't blowing up and mowing down their prohibitions.

townsend

Banned
Because evangelicals aren't blowing up and mowing down their prohibitions.
I think Islam is still a young man's religion. The rapidly aging Christian population is not mostly of the age to go spree shooting. Although there seems to be a heavy Christian influence in the violent aspects of the pro life movement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Radical evangelics have not resorted to violence?

Well how about that.
Maybe you can find something but it's pretty rare. Only thing that comes to mind for me is some incidents with abortion clinics a few years back. I don't think Evangelicals have a word for jihad.

townsend

Banned
Maybe you can find something but it's pretty rare. Only thing that comes to mind for me is some incidents with abortion clinics a few years back. I don't think Evangelicals have a word for jihad.
Crusade. Don't forget that the Klan flew the Christian flag.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Crusade. Don't forget that the Klan flew the Christian flag.
Get real. Hardly classified as Evangelicals. Does anyone really want to compare Evangelicals with extremest Muslim terrorist? Other than just chain yanking of course.

townsend

Banned
Get real. Hardly classified as Evangelicals. Does anyone really want to compare Evangelicals with extremest Muslim terrorist? Other than just chain yanking of course.
I would say that you could describe Klansmen as extremist Christians. Who were quite capable of terrorism. I wouldnt equate mainstream Christianity with the KKK, any more than I'd equate Islam with ISIS.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I would say that you could describe Klansmen as extremist Christians. Who were quite capable of terrorism. I wouldnt equate mainstream Christianity with the KKK, any more than I'd equate Islam with ISIS.
Have no idea where you are trying to go but my ticket says it the end of the line for this tour.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Those damned barbaric Christians and Muslims of 700+ years ago.

The crusades were a shitty time all around. Luckily, tens of thousands of people haven't been killed under the guise of Christianity or Islam or in the name of God or Allah during modern times. Oh, wait...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No one is equating Muslims with anything. They are not part of the conversation. The jist was comparing extremist Muslim terrorist with evangelicals. You went way off track.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The plural of "terrorist" is "terrorists." I can't take it any longer.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Religion is one of the most human concepts. So is killing. Of course one has invaded the other.

Where we should be working is to carve out the part of us that can't help but kill people whose ideals we don't like. I find it pretty naive the idea that if we just all accept a mushy liberalism, the killing will stop. Even more ridiculous to me is the New Atheist idea that if we all just learn about Science, there will be centuries of peace.

Long story short, we can, theoretically, promote a particular way of life and even verbally condemn those who wont accept it without killing them. I doubt that we'll ever get there, but I just always feel like patting the "imagine, no religion" types on the head.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I feel like Skid would feel me on this, but I imagine he recused himself for a while after he hurt Clay's feelings so bad?

townsend

Banned
Religion is one of the most human concepts. So is killing. Of course one has invaded the other.

Where we should be working is to carve out the part of us that can't help but kill people whose ideals we don't like. I find it pretty naive the idea that if we just all accept a mushy liberalism, the killing will stop. Even more ridiculous to me is the New Atheist idea that if we all just learn about Science, there will be centuries of peace.

Long story short, we can, theoretically, promote a particular way of life and even verbally condemn those who wont accept it without killing them. I doubt that we'll ever get there, but I just always feel like patting the "imagine, no religion" types on the head.
I think people acting in the name of religion can achieve a level of goodness that humans can rarely achieve in the name of secular humanism. The vision of yourself as a part of a greater good, the connection to community, and the will to hold yourself to a higher moral standard can yield amazing benefits.

New Athiests are obnoxious because they're using the same hunter-gatherer logic that leads every religion astray, us vs. Them. We're smart, they're dumb. We're civil, they're violent.

Top Bottom