The Great Police Work Thread

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I haven't looked at this thread in months. Glad to see I haven't missed anything since it just seems to still be the Bipo posting BS memes thread. The mods should just consider deleting it to infuriate him.
You're just the best funded, biggest gang out there.

Keep up the good work.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
[h=1]Texts show collusion between police and far-right extremists, Oregon official claims[/h] "This story, like many that have come before it, simply confirms what many in the community have already known," Councilwoman Jo Ann Hardesty said in a statement.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A member of Portland's city council said Thursday a newspaper's report that the commander for the police rapid response team exchanged friendly text messages with a leader of far-right protests that have rocked the city confirms collusion exists between some police and right-wing extremists.

"I am not shocked, and I am not surprised at today's reporting of Lt. Jeff Niiya's collaboration with Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson over text to provide aid and support for their hate marches," Councilwoman Jo Ann Hardesty said in a statement.

Willamette Week obtained text messages through a public records request between Niiya and Gibson. The texts purportedly show Niiya had a friendly rapport with Gibson, frequently discussing Gibson's plans to demonstrate.

In one text reported by the newspaper, Niiya tells Gibson that he doesn't see a need to arrest his assistant, Tusitala Toese, who often brawls with antifascist protesters, even if he has a warrant, unless Toese commits a new crime.

"Just make sure he doesn't do anything which may draw our attention," Niiya texted Gibson on Dec. 9, 2017, Willamette Week reported. "If he still has the warrant in the system (I don't run you guys so I don't personally know) the officers could arrest him. I don't see a need to arrest on the warrant unless there is a reason."

A police spokeswoman said it is not unusual for officers to suggest people turn themselves in to avoid being arrested on a warrant, Willamette Week reported.

"In crowd management situations, it may not be safe or prudent to arrest a person right at that time, so the arrest may be delayed or followed up on later. It is not uncommon for officers to provide guidance for someone to turn themselves in on a warrant if the subject is not present," Lt. Tina Jones said.

Portland police were accused at a protest last August of being heavy-handed against people, injuring some, who were protesting a rally of extreme-right demonstrators organized by Gibson.

Hardesty said the "broken policing system in Portland" must be addressed.

"This story, like many that have come before it, simply confirms what many in the community have already known — there are members of the Portland police force who work in collusion with right-wing extremists," she said.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Article seems misleading.
It goes out of its way to call Patriot Prayer a right-wing extremist group, while the Antifa nerds bear-macing people and whacking them with batons are just "anti-fascist protestors." Ok.

Could it be that the right-wingers were trying to coordinate with the police, while the other side was too busy marching around chanting for cop deaths?

I think by "misleading" you mean "complete bullshit."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It goes out of its way to call Patriot Prayer a right-wing extremist group, while the Antifa nerds bear-macing people and whacking them with batons are just "anti-fascist protestors." Ok.

Could it be that the right-wingers were trying to coordinate with the police, while the other side was too busy marching around chanting for cop deaths?

I think by "misleading" you mean "complete bullshit."
It's an article about a whole bunch of nothing with a title to get people all worked up and in a frenzy. Reminds me of the conspiracy bullshit you hear all the time.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
[h=1]Ex-police Officer Nouman Raja convicted in fatal shooting of black motorist Corey Jones[/h] Nouman Raja, 41, could face life in prison in the 2015 killing of Corey Jones, a musician.

A fired Florida police officer was convicted Thursday of manslaughter and attempted murder in the fatal shooting of a stranded black motorist in 2015.

Nouman Raja, 41, faces life in prison for fatally shooting musician Corey Jones, 31, who was waiting for help for his broken down SUV on the side of a South Florida highway when he was killed by Raja.

The four-man, two-woman jury had deliberated for about four hours before delivering the verdict of manslaughter with a firearm and attempted first-degree murder, according to The Associated Press. Raja had no reaction as the verdict was read.

More than two dozen of Jones' family members and supporters, gathered in the courtroom for the conclusion of the trial, which had lasted about a week. One told the AP that "the sweetest sound was the click of those handcuffs" on Raja after he was convicted.

Prosecutors say an audio recording of the shooting indicate Raja — who was on duty but in plainclothes and driving an unmarked white van — had never identified himself.

They said Jones, who was returning home from a performance with drums valued at $10,000 in the back of his SUV, pulled his legally-owned handgun because he feared he was being robbed.

Raja shot him repeatedly. A medical examiner testified that Jones was killed by a shot through his heart. The musician, who also worked as a housing inspector, was also shot once in each arm.

Raja's attorneys said that he did identify himself and should be protected by Florida's "stand your ground" law because he feared for his life.

In a statement, attorneys for the Jones family said the conviction showed "what can happen when prosecutors have the dedication to charge an on-duty law enforcement officer in the murder of an innocent black man, and what can happen when a thoughtful judge rejects a shameless ploy to use Florida’s questionable Stand Your Ground law as a shield against wrongdoing."

"This verdict is a vindication of the good man that was Corey Jones, and an utter repudiation of a criminal who tried to hide behind a badge," the statement said. "Though the Jones family will miss Corey for the rest of their lives, they can finally start to heal knowing that justice has finally been served.”

"The truth has prevailed," Jones' father, Clint, said during a press conference Thursday.

He said he had come from Corey's gravesite, where he went after the verdict was read to "let him know, Corey, son we did it!"

Attorney Benjamin Crump said the verdict was a "victory for Corey Jones, not just a victory for his family, not just a victory for Palm Beach, but all of America if you believe in equal justice,"

"This is huge victory because a police officer being found guilty for shooting a black man in America is a victory," Crump said, adding that the jury was all-white. "The hope is that one day it won’t be such a landmark."

The press conference, attended not only by Corey's family and their lawyers, but also by teens from a softball team he coached, was closed out by his sister, Melissa, singing "Victory Is Mine."

Melissa, who is eight months pregnant, said she is eager to tell her son about the "greatness" Corey has "done throughout the community" and "how big of a joker his uncle was."

The Palm Beach Gardens officer was fired less than a month after the shooting. He has been on house arrest since he was charged in 2016, and is to be sentenced on April 26.

In a statement, Raja's lawyers said they were "devastated" by the verdict. "We believe in Nouman Raja’s innocence and we will continue to stand behind him as his case is reviewed by the judge and, if necessary, the appellate courts," the statement said.

"This tragedy has impacted everyone from the families to our local community, and beyond. We hope this verdict will allow all of those involved to begin the process of healing," the city of Palm Beach Gardens said in a statement Thursday.

The last time a Florida officer faced trial for an on-duty killing was in 1989. William Lozano was convicted of two manslaughter counts for fatally shooting a black motorcyclist, causing him to crash and kill a passenger. The verdict was later dismissed, and Lozano was acquitted in a 1993 retrial.

Top Bottom