Connor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather set for Aug 26

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dana White was just on SportsCenter and said the two sides have officially agreed to a boxing match in Vegas on August 26.

I'm sure there will be a ton of people who will happily pay the $80 ppv or whatever the price may be. I have zero interest in watching this fight.

Mayweather fights are boring as shit and not worth the time, IMO.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
How about the fact that Mayweather is one of the greatest professional boxers of all time while Conor McGregor is not now, nor has he ever been, a professional boxer? The best boxers in Mayweathers' class have failed to beat him and now this amateur boxer is going to get a shot? I know McGregor is a tough guy and considerably younger but come on. It is nothing but a big sideshow money grab, which is fine if people are willing to pay for it, but it should be viewed for exactly what it is.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is this being set up as a boxing event or MMA? If it is a boxing event Connor is going to get embarrassed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this being set up as a boxing event or MMA? If it is a boxing event Connor is going to get embarrassed.
Yeah I guess I just assumed it was going to be an MMA, it is really the only way to make it a fair fight. A boxing match is going to be pathetic.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I guess I just assumed it was going to be an MMA, it is really the only way to make it a fair fight. A boxing match is going to be pathetic.
If they set it up as MMA, Mayweather will get destroyed. It's just a stupid idea and a money grab.

Cotton

Staff member
There is a surprisingly large contingent on Twitter that thinks McGregor will beat Mayweather. That's some funny shit.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
There is a surprisingly large contingent on Twitter that thinks McGregor will beat Mayweather. That's some funny shit.
Probably a bunch of MMA bros who know nothing about boxing. I am in no way a boxing authority but common sense is all that is needed in this situation. I read a couple articles about it last night and people who know boxing dismiss this as nothing but a ridiculously high paying exhibition.

An Irish boxer named Andy Lee who has been a WBO middleweight champ gave McGregor lots of props for representing Ireland well, becoming a highly paid fighter, etc., but suggested it would be interesting to see if he could win an Irish title. I think that is probably about the equivalent of saying, "It would be interesting to see if Tim Tebow could succeed against pitching at the A ball level", ie, not against MLB pitching, let alone Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, etc. They asked him if the prospect of McGregor facing Mayweather in the ring was laughable and he said "In terms of a contest, yes".

This is just one example. Boxing writers and enthusiasts all see it as a joke. I'm all for them putting this fight together I guess, because people want to see it and will pay for it, but it seems awfully ridiculous for people to claim McGregor is going to win.

Cotton

Staff member
Probably a bunch of MMA bros who know nothing about boxing. I am in no way a boxing authority but common sense is all that is needed in this situation. I read a couple articles about it last night and people who know boxing dismiss this as nothing but a ridiculously high paying exhibition.

An Irish boxer named Andy Lee who has been a WBO middleweight champ gave McGregor lots of props for representing Ireland well, becoming a highly paid fighter, etc., but suggested it would be interesting to see if he could win an Irish title. I think that is probably about the equivalent of saying, "It would be interesting to see if Tim Tebow could succeed against pitching at the A ball level", ie, not against MLB pitching, let alone Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, etc. They asked him if the prospect of McGregor facing Mayweather in the ring was laughable and he said "In terms of a contest, yes".

This is just one example. Boxing writers and enthusiasts all see it as a joke. I'm all for them putting this fight together I guess, because people want to see it and will pay for it, but it seems awfully ridiculous for people to claim McGregor is going to win.
Unless there is some shady shit going on, I can't imagine McGregor makes it to round 2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless there is some shady shit going on, I can't imagine McGregor makes it to round 2.
Yeah the only reason it may go longer is because Mayweather isn't a slugger. So its not normal for him to come out and just knock a guy out right away. He is a very patient boxer who just racks up hits. So McGregor may last some rounds in a lopsided loss.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wonder how hard it's going to be for Conner to not try and kick him. Would think that would easy to do in the moment without realizing it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah the only reason it may go longer is because Mayweather isn't a slugger. So its not normal for him to come out and just knock a guy out right away. He is a very patient boxer who just racks up hits. So McGregor may last some rounds in a lopsided loss.
I'll quit harping on this point I promise but it is not normal for Mayweather to come out and just knock out top pro boxers in his weight class. I'm sure he'll be his usual patient self because the last thing he wants to do is by chance run into a McGregor left hand and shockingly lose, but I have a feeling in this fight he will have much earlier opportunities than usual to put his opponent away.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Huh?

There is ZERO chance that Mayweather knocks him out or even beats him up, for that matter.

This will be a lopsided fight, but only in terms of class and skill. I expect Floyd to win all 12 rounds, but what he will not do is beat McGregor up or knock him out.

He'll run circles around him with a straight right here and there just like he does with everyone else.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As for the fight itself, I'm intrigued by the spectacle of it all, but I expect it to be a boring and lopsided affair and it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather won all 12 rounds.

McGregor has next to no chance to win this fight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll quit harping on this point I promise but it is not normal for Mayweather to come out and just knock out top pro boxers in his weight class. I'm sure he'll be his usual patient self because the last thing he wants to do is by chance run into a McGregor left hand and shockingly lose, but I have a feeling in this fight he will have much earlier opportunities than usual to put his opponent away.
Mayweather beats the best of the best boxers with his strategy. I think it would be extremely foolish for him to deviate from what he does best. And frankly what he does best is dance around and lands a lot of punches that don't do a lot of damage. I think he will do exactly that against McGregor. Which will probably make for an extremely boring and long fight.

And if I'm McGregor I'd go in there knowing you have to knock him out. You're not going to win standing up and boxing round for round. So you have to go in with the mentality that you're going to take some hits but you need to swing as hard as you can and hope to land a big punch that does a lot of damage.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Mayweather beats the best of the best boxers with his strategy. I think it would be extremely foolish for him to deviate from what he does best. And frankly what he does best is dance around and lands a lot of punches that don't do a lot of damage. I think he will do exactly that against McGregor. Which will probably make for an extremely boring and long fight.

And if I'm McGregor I'd go in there knowing you have to knock him out. You're not going to win standing up and boxing round for round. So you have to go in with the mentality that you're going to take some hits but you need to swing as hard as you can and hope to land a big punch that does a lot of damage.
I hear you. I am simply stating that he probably will not have to deviate from his strategy to knock McGregor out. The opportunity may very well present itself in the natural course of the fight because McGregor is not remotely in the same class of boxer as the guys Mayweather has fought before.

I mean, it could play out exactly like you and Ace are suggesting...a lopsided decision where Mayweather wins every round. But you guys are basing that on Mayweather's history against pro boxers. Is McGregor even a better boxer than the guys Mayweather uses as sparring partners? He might be, he might not be.

My outlook is that you can't predict the outcome based on Mayweather's history of fights against a number of legit opponents because I do not believe McGregor falls into that category. Apples to oranges in a way. Throw out the "well he doesn't knock most guys out because of his style" because McGregor in his lack of boxing experience/efforts to knock Mayweather out may very well leave himself open to getting hit with a flurry of punches that puts him on the mat.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Zero chance, huh?
It's just not his style, especially in the latter part of his career.

Even when he has someone completely outclassed, he just doesn't go in for the kill or throw a lot of punches. No matter who he fights, he sticks to his gameplan of throw one singular straight right hand when he sees an opening or as a counter punch, then continue to move around the ring.

Go back and look at his last 8 fights or so and look at the post-fight pics of his opponent. See if you can find one that would indicate that they had a rough night.

Mayweather wins by giving the opponent nothing to hit and by beating them to the punch with excellent speed and accuracy. This then leads to his opponent getting immensely frustrated and the amount of punches they throw drastically decreases as the fight goes on.

But beat people up? Nah. Even Andre Berto who is a total bum now took him 12 rounds.

Floyd will win all 12 rounds, but he's not going to knock McGregor out.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It's just not his style, especially in the latter part of his career.

Even when he has someone completely outclassed, he just doesn't go in for the kill or throw a lot of punches. No matter who he fights, he sticks to his gameplan of throw one singular straight right hand when he sees an opening or as a counter punch, then continue to move around the ring.

Go back and look at his last 8 fights or so and look at the post-fight pics of his opponent. See if you can find one that would indicate that they had a rough night.

Mayweather wins by giving the opponent nothing to hit and by beating them to the punch with excellent speed and accuracy. This then leads to his opponent getting immensely frustrated and the amount of punches they throw drastically decreases as the fight goes on.

But beat people up? Nah. Even Andre Berto who is a total bum now took him 12 rounds.

Floyd will win all 12 rounds, but he's not going to knock McGregor out.
See my above reply to CRock. That is how I see it. You may end up being right about the result but IMO it is a flawed mindset to compare this fight to any other professional fight he has ever had.

Top Bottom