Connor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather set for Aug 26

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, it could play out exactly like you and Ace are suggesting...a lopsided decision where Mayweather wins every round. But you guys are basing that on Mayweather's history against pro boxers. Is McGregor even a better boxer than the guys Mayweather uses as sparring partners? He might be, he might not be.
And I'm not saying he won't knock McGregor out either. I just don't think it's going to be quick. The other thing people don't think about is endurance. Mayweather going 12 rounds is no big deal. He has the stamina built up to still be going strong in those later rounds. McGregor isn't use to going that long as an MMA fighter. I think if the fight goes very long McGregor is going to be dead on his feet and may get knocked out from an exhausted stand point. McGregor isn't going to have any feet left after the first 5 rounds or so.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
See my above reply to CRock. That is how I see it. You may end up being right about the result but IMO it is a flawed mindset to compare this fight to any other professional fight he has ever had.
McGregor is basically an amateur as a boxer, but he's not an amateur as a fighter.

In order for him to even stand a chance of getting knocked out by a guy who doesn't throw many power punches and hasn't knocked someone out in years, he would have to be completely careless and start flailing around in the ring.

While I don't think he'll pose much of a threat to Floyd, I also don't expect him to look like a chicken with his head cut off either. He'll be aggressive, but he'll be smart too.

Remember, he's been hit by guys with more power wearing much smaller gloves than Floyd too. These gloves are gonna be like pillows to McGregor, so it's going to take a wide open, bone crunching punch in the right spot to knock him out, and I just don't think that's gonna happen given who Floyd is.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And I'm not saying he won't knock McGregor out either. I just don't think it's going to be quick. The other thing people don't think about is endurance. Mayweather going 12 rounds is no big deal. He has the stamina built up to still be going strong in those later rounds. McGregor isn't use to going that long as an MMA fighter. I think if the fight goes very long McGregor is going to be dead on his feet and may get knocked out from an exhausted stand point. McGregor isn't going to have any feet left after the first 5 rounds or so.
Stamina-wise, I think he'll be ok for about 8 rounds.

Remember, he exerts a lot more energy in MMA than in boxing. The rounds in MMA last 5 minutes each and he's had to go the distance in some of his toughest and most physical fights....most recently, the Diaz rematch.

That went 20 min long which equates to about 6 or 7 rounds in boxing. But in MMA there is a lot of wrestling and having another man use all of his weight against you, etc. That won't be the case in boxing.

So while I do expect him to start feeling it late, I don't think stamina will be a big deal for most of the fight. My guess is he'll be ok for about 8 or 9 rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would all be way more interesting in my opinion if they were both fighting MMA. It's a pretty common debate to have about how a boxer would hold up in an MMA match since boxing is a part of MMA. An excellent boxer has a better chance to transition to MMA because they at least have a mastery of one aspect of MMA. Going the other direction isn't true. A MMA fighter doesn't necessarily have a mastery of boxing. So when you put them in a boxing ring you're telling a MMA fighter that they can't do some of the things that they are a master of and can only use a part of their skillset.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
McGregor is basically an amateur as a boxer, but he's not an amateur as a fighter.

In order for him to even stand a chance of getting knocked out by a guy who doesn't throw many power punches and hasn't knocked someone out in years, he would have to be completely careless and start flailing around in the ring.

While I don't think he'll pose much of a threat to Floyd, I also don't expect him to look like a chicken with his head cut off either. He'll be aggressive, but he'll be smart too.

Remember, he's been hit by guys with more power wearing much smaller gloves than Floyd too. These gloves are gonna be like pillows to McGregor, so it's going to take a wide open, bone crunching punch in the right spot to knock him out, and I just don't think that's gonna happen given who Floyd is.
I guess, but it doesn't have to be one wide open, bone crunching punch. If he hits him with a combination and rattles him he might just decide he can finish him off, especially the deeper into the fight it gets.

The stamina point is a very valid one. I don't anticipate an early knockout by any means but somewhere in the middle of that fight it is going to play a role for McGregor. That is where he will be most in danger of getting knocked out, IMO.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I guess, but it doesn't have to be one wide open, bone crunching punch. If he hits him with a combination and rattles him he might just decide he can finish him off, especially the deeper into the fight it gets.
Again, this isn't Floyd's style.

Floyd has one of the lowest punch outputs ever for a unified champion, and that low punch count becomes even lower when it comes to power punches.

Combinations are not his thing. He's a one punch guy 80% of the time, and if you do get any sort of combination, it's a left jab followed by a straight right hand. As for hooks? Almost non-existent.

As I've said many times already, the guy is mostly a singular straight right hand and move type of fighter or a straight right hand, pause, followed by another straight right hand.

I know the opponent may not be no match for him, but you're asking a guy to do uncharacteristic things that he never does. Could it happen? I guess....if he thought McGregor posed no threat, but the guy just doesn't deviate from what he believes in even when faced with a much lesser opponent.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Combinations are not his thing. He's a one punch guy 80% of the time, and if you do get any sort of combination, it's a left jab followed by a straight right hand. As for hooks? Almost non-existent.

As I've said many times already, the guy is mostly a singular straight right hand and move type of fighter or a straight right hand, pause, followed by another straight right hand.
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]

Look at this vid (but keep the volume down due to the annoying music accompanying it) and you'll see that this speaks perfectly to the points I made above.

I want you to tell me how many times you see him throw anything other than exactly what I described above.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hear you. I am simply stating that he probably will not have to deviate from his strategy to knock McGregor out. The opportunity may very well present itself in the natural course of the fight because McGregor is not remotely in the same class of boxer as the guys Mayweather has fought before.

I mean, it could play out exactly like you and Ace are suggesting...a lopsided decision where Mayweather wins every round. But you guys are basing that on Mayweather's history against pro boxers. Is McGregor even a better boxer than the guys Mayweather uses as sparring partners? He might be, he might not be.

My outlook is that you can't predict the outcome based on Mayweather's history of fights against a number of legit opponents because I do not believe McGregor falls into that category. Apples to oranges in a way. Throw out the "well he doesn't knock most guys out because of his style" because McGregor in his lack of boxing experience/efforts to knock Mayweather out may very well leave himself open to getting hit with a flurry of punches that puts him on the mat.
Agreed. He won't have to dance around. He most likely will have glaring holes in McGregor's defense to exploit, and I think he will see them early and exploit, he will.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Again, this isn't Floyd's style.

Floyd has one of the lowest punch outputs ever for a unified champion, and that low punch count becomes even lower when it comes to power punches.

I know the opponent may not be no match for him, but you're asking a guy to do uncharacteristic things that he never does. Could it happen? I guess....if he thought McGregor posed no threat, but the guy just doesn't deviate from what he believes in even when faced with a much lesser opponent.
That's all well and good but let's not act like he has never knocked anyone out. A little over half his wins are by KO/TKO. I understand most of those were earlier in his career, but it is not as though he is incapable of doing that now. Maybe he'll do the same thing he has done in most of his fights of the last decade and just win by UD, but I think given the considerable gap in skill level a KO/TKO is very much in play.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What the hell happened to all the posts between Iamtdg and I?

Did you delete them?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's all well and good but let's not act like he has never knocked anyone out. A little over half his wins are by KO/TKO. I understand most of those were earlier in his career, but it is not as though he is incapable of doing that now. Maybe he'll do the same thing he has done in most of his fights of the last decade and just win by UD, but I think given the considerable gap in skill level a KO/TKO is very much in play.
I don't think he's incapable of it, it's just that recent history shows that it's not what he does.

I do take into account that McGregor will have holes to exploit, but I fully expect him to be the aggressor which will lead to Floyd fighting the way he has for most of the last 10 years.

Straight right hands, counter right hands, and movement all around the ring. If he does knock him out, it will be via a counter right to the chin rather than a flurry of punches on the offensive.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Did you delete them?
Didn't Iamtdg say that some posts may be lost in the migration to the new hosting service? Could be that I guess?

Edit: I think that is what is going on. Just saw that Booze's reply to my The Leftovers question in the TV Thread is gone. Must be losing a lot of posts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I guess we'll see, Ed.

One thing we can agree on, this will be a one-sided fight that Mayweather wins without much trouble at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As an aside, sbk is a massive MacGregor fan boy.

Cotton

Staff member

Did you delete them?
We may have lost them between when GoDaddy finished the migration and when I redirected the domain. I didn't delete them.

Cotton

Staff member
Didn't Iamtdg say that some posts may be lost in the migration to the new hosting service? Could be that I guess?

Edit: I think that is what is going on. Just saw that Booze's reply to my The Leftovers question in the TV Thread is gone. Must be losing a lot of posts.
We would have only lost maybe 20-30 mins worth of posts. As soon as I got the email from GoDaddy, I changed the DNS servers.

Top Bottom