NHL Chatter Thread

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Islanders fan unfortunately.....

Had high hopes for this shortened season. .500 won't get this team into the playoffs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers making a push down the final stretch. If we beat Toronto twice this week the 6th seed is attainable.

I wouldn't get too down on the Islanders. I think they're the favorite for having the privilege of an extra 4 or 5 games against the Penguins.

The Devils are toast. Unless the Flyers or Winnipeg Jets surge up and catch you, I think the Islanders can get that spot.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Rangers making a push down the final stretch. If we beat Toronto twice this week the 6th seed is attainable.

I wouldn't get too down on the Islanders. I think they're the favorite for having the privilege of an extra 4 or 5 games against the Penguins.

The Devils are toast. Unless the Flyers or Winnipeg Jets surge up and catch you, I think the Islanders can get that spot.
I guess my confidence level isn't too high with them, I know they're 19-16 and hold that final playoff spot but something tells me the Devils and Flyers are not done yet.

I still wouldn't count Winnipeg out. I'll be honest I didn't expect to be where were at, at this point of the shortened season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I guess my confidence level isn't too high with them, I know they're 19-16 and hold that final playoff spot but something tells me the Devils and Flyers are not done yet.

I still wouldn't count Winnipeg out. I'll be honest I didn't expect to be where were at, at this point of the shortened season.
I'll trade you Brad Richards for John Tavares.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Islanders oust Flyers to move into 7th place in Eastern Conference :towel

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- The third period was often a dreaded 20 minutes for the New York Islanders this season.

Not anymore.

With a near capacity crowd at Nassau Coliseum chanting, "We want playoffs," the Islanders maintained their poise after Michael Grabner scored the go-ahead goal late in the second period and went on to beat the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on Tuesday night.

The surging Islanders won for the seventh time in nine games and moved two points ahead of the idle Rangers into seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Philadelphia (17-19-3) is 12th in the East, five points behind the Rangers and the postseason cutoff.

The Islanders, who won just two of their first 11 home games this season, have four consecutive wins at Nassau Coliseum. New York (20-16-4) is four games over .500 for the first time since Feb. 20, 2008.

"Everyone is feeding off the energy, and we're excited," said Islanders center John Tavares, whose team-leading 24th goal made it 3-1 late. "We're raising our game and getting better. And of course, the crowd tonight gave us a big boost."

New York has been tied or ahead in the third period in 34 of 40 games and improved to 19-2-2 when they score at least three goals.

Jakub Voracek gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead in the first period.

Grabner scored his 13th goal of the season at 17:42 of the second with a snap shot from between the circles that eluded goalie Steve Mason, who made his first start for the Flyers since being acquired from Columbus on April 3.

After Tavares scored with 1:37 left, Casey Cizikas added an empty-net goal 28 seconds later. Fans also chanted, "Last-place Flyers" as time ran out.

"We have a singular focus, to play strong defense and elevate our game in the third period," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said. "The guys are believing in each other and playing hard."

Voracek opened the scoring 6:28 in with his 17th goal. Voracek slid a backhand into the pads of Nabokov, whose momentum carried him and the puck into the net.

Matt Moulson tied it for the Islanders at 15:36 off a nifty pass from Brad Boyes after Tavares started the play. Boyes maneuvered through the defense before backhanding the puck to Moulson, who snapped in his 13th goal.

No. 1 goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, who has all of the Flyers' wins this season, rested in favor of Mason.

Mason kept the Flyers in the game with several sharp saves, most notably stopping Kyle Okposo on a breakaway at 15:31 of the second.

"We still have nine games to play," Flyers forward Simon Gagne said. "All we can do is to keep trying our best."

The Flyers haven't missed the playoffs since 2007, the last time the Islanders qualified for the postseason.

"It's a great feeling right now," said Tavares, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft. "We know we can play with any team in the league."

The Islanders will play six of their remaining eight games on the road, where they are 11-5-2.

"We're focusing on one game at a time knowing that we control all of our cards in our hands," Grabner said. "We still have a lot of work to do."

New York has allowed two or fewer goals in eight of their last nine games, yielding just 14 goals over that stretch. The Islanders haven't allowed a power-play goal in a season-high six straight games.

The Islanders and Flyers split their first two games. Philadelphia won 7-0 at Nassau Coliseum on Feb. 18, and the Islanders won in a shootout in Philadelphia on March 28. The teams will meet once more in Philadelphia.

Game notes

The Islanders announced they will play a preseason game against the New Jersey Devils on Sept. 21 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The Islanders are scheduled to move to Brooklyn for the 2015-16 season. .. The Flyers were without injured forwards Danny Briere, Maxime Talbot, Zac Rinaldo and Jody Shelley as well as defensemen Braydon Coburn and Andrej Meszaros. ... The Islanders scratched forwards Marty Reasoner, Eric Boulton and Anders Lee, and defenseman Radek Martinek. ... The Flyers had two power plays. New York had only one.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers continue to underachieve.

They need an offseason, sadly. Tweaking will have to be done.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Rangers continue to underachieve.

They need an offseason, sadly. Tweaking will have to be done.
I'm surprised the Rangers haven't played better this year. I didn't expect the Islanders to be ahead of them that's for sure. Same can be said for the Devils and Flyers.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
:towel The Isles just won the shootout against Winnipeg. One more win and we clinch the playoffs.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Flyers done. Now they need to amnesty the Bryzgalbatross contract and use the money to build their defense and overall depth.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member
Flyers done. Now they need to amnesty the Bryzgalbatross contract and use the money to build their defense and overall depth.
I didn't expect the Flyers to play so poorly this year. The Devils are another surprise. Both teams should've played better.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wish the Islanders and Senators would stop winning so we could get out of the 8th seed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers leapfrog the Islanders at the end.

Now you have to hope Ottawa loses. Or else you draw Pittsburgh in the first round, which means you'll have a short stay.

Top Bottom