NHL Chatter Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Friggin Rangers.

Win a playoff series for Nash, assholes.

Or... Nash.... here's your chance. Step up and win a playoff series, asshole.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Blackhawks have jumped on the Kings quickly tonight. 2-0 already and we're only 6 minutes into the game.

Quick might get pulled again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers hire Alain Vigneault, who was fired from Vancouver.

Think it's the best move they could have reasonably made. There was some intrigue with high upside guys like Dave Tippett or Dallas Eakins, but in many circles Vigneault is considered a top 5 coach.

At the very least it's better than hiring Messier. Lindy Ruff wasn't a great move either, he's the Jeff Fisher of NHL coaches. Vigneault is more like the Andy Reid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Wow, that was an amazing end of the game and end of the series.

Chicago is down 2-1 with 1:15 left, and they score 2 goals in that last 1:15 to tie, then take the lead. Boston stunned in front of their home crowd.

Kinda figures that Chicago wins it, they did open the season with what, 24 games in a row without being beaten?

This post-game coverage is shit though. I hate hockey on NBC, it's just atrocious.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wow, that was an amazing end of the game and end of the series.

Chicago is down 2-1 with 1:15 left, and they score 2 goals in that last 1:15 to tie, then take the lead. Boston stunned in front of their home crowd.

Kinda figures that Chicago wins it, they did open the season with what, 24 games in a row without being beaten?

This post-game coverage is shit though. I hate hockey on NBC, it's just atrocious.
I don't watch a lot of hockey, but I did tune into these playoffs somewhat and hockey really is entertaining in the postseason because you can really see how hard those guys play.

That is crazy that Chicago won like that. Didn't they have a crazy comeback in game 1 to steal that win as well?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't watch a lot of hockey, but I did tune into these playoffs somewhat and hockey really is entertaining in the postseason because you can really see how hard those guys play.

That is crazy that Chicago won like that. Didn't they have a crazy comeback in game 1 to steal that win as well?
Yeah, hockey playoffs are great, its like March Madness in a way -- the playoff product is so much better than the regular season product.

Game 1 wasn't really a shocking come back.... they came back from down 3-1, but their next 2 goals were scored like midway through the third period. Game 1's big deal was that when it went into overtime... it lasted two more overtimes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers picking up steam. Come on, Nash, get it in gear, we could actually be good with you scoring a goal every other game on that right wing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Giroux should be on team Canada over Nash or Carter.

But I'm actually glad he didn't make the team. I think the rest is good, especially of the player is banged up.

MasOn is playing lights out right now so hopefully they mostly get rest for a push down the stretch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Islanders’ Tavares Out for NHL Season After Olympic Knee Injury

New York Islanders captain John Tavares will miss the rest of the National Hockey League season after tearing a knee ligament at the Olympics.

Tavares, 23, tore the medial collateral ligament and meniscus in his left knee during Canada’s 2-1 quarterfinals victory over Latvia yesterday in Sochi, Russia.

The No. 1 selection in the 2009 NHL draft, Tavares has scored 24 goals with 42 assists in 59 games for the Islanders in his fifth NHL season. His 66 points are third-most in the league, trailing countrymen Sidney Crosby and Ryan Getzlaf.

The injury may reignite the debate over NHL players taking part in the Winter Olympics, a decision that takes into account travel, scheduling conflicts and player insurance. League commissioner Gary Bettman said earlier this week that a decision on the NHL’s participation in the 2018 Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, could be made within the next six months.

To contact the reporter on this story: Eben Novy-Williams in New York at enovywilliam@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at msillup@bloomberg.net

At least the Islanders weren't making the playoffs this year anyway. Ouch.

Fabulous young player. Possibly best center in the league after Crosby.

I'd love to have him on my team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers getting hot at the right time. If Nash and St. Louis could actually start scoring, this team would be dangerous.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Rangers came back from a 3-1 series deficit to upset the Penguins. Headin' to the conference finals for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Whooooooooooooooooooo

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm glad the Rangers made it this far and they deserve recognition for being better than they are considered league wide. They are not a fringe playoff team anymore, they've been to the Conference Finals, the Conference Semifinals, and now the Cup Finals in the last three years. They are a legit good team and the fact that they also legitimately beat Pittsburgh shows that they are right there at the top with the best the East has to offer (with the exception of Boston, the Bruins have their number like the 1994-1995 49ers had the Cowboys number, just not a good match up).

That being said, the West is just the better conference. I expect the Rangers to lose just like the East has lost the last 3 years. There is not much chance of them taking this series, though I expect all the games to be close.

The Rangers have been good enough on D to get a 2 goal lead and then lock down a victory against the other teams in the East. It works for them because they are at their best on D and using their speed to surprise teams early in the playoffs so far.

But the Kings just keep coming. A 2 goal lead isn't safe against them. Hell a 3 goal lead might not be. The Rangers basically can't get far enough ahead to protect a lead for a period and a half against this team. And they can't manage a sustained attack for a full 3 periods because they just don't have the horses.

So they are probably out of luck. Oh well, nice run.

D

Deuce

But the Kings just keep coming. A 2 goal lead isn't safe against them. Hell a 3 goal lead might not be. The Rangers basically can't get far enough ahead to protect a lead for a period and a half against this team. And they can't manage a sustained attack for a full 3 periods because they just don't have the horses.

So they are probably out of luck. Oh well, nice run.
I read this yesterday and though while true, the Rangers could still hold a lead when they have it. So I turned it off after the second period last night. :lol oops

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying the Kings aren't the better team, or that they are only winning this series because they are lucky, but they have gotten every weird bounce and deflection in this series.

The Rangers can't buy a lucky deflection for a goal. Meanwhile it seems like every goal the Kings score is off a deflection or weird bounce.

Top Bottom