The Rasslin' Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see that you all are playimg fast and loose with the term "sport"

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I see that you all are playimg fast and loose with the term "sport"
More of a performance, like ballet or gymnastics, but it takes some real athleticism to do it. Especially now, the days when the better performers would just carry a fat guy are mostly gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
More of a performance, like ballet or gymnastics, but it takes some real athleticism to do it. Especially now, the days when the better performers would just carry a fat guy are mostly gone.
It's like performance arts for straight men. I've got nothing against it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's like performance arts for straight men. I've got nothing against it.
Yep. It's a choreographed exhibition with a pre determined ending. The crowd frenzy is interesting. I haven't seen professional wrestling for some time but it is probably about the same only more of an extravaganza.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not Wrestlemania related but certainly worth mentioning......Joan Laurer AKA Chyna died last night at the age of 45.

data

Forbes #1
For all the attention paid to NFL's long term health impacts, WWE gets off scott-free while being if not Moreso destructive

D

Deuce

For all the attention paid to NFL's long term health impacts, WWE gets off scott-free while being if not Moreso destructive
I don't think it's the long term health impacts of wrestling that's the problem. It's the long term steroid and cocaine use that kills these guys.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
For what it's worth, WWE has mandatory retirement procedures in place for head trauma now. Arguably their most popular current star retired a few months ago in his 30s after WWE officials refused to clear him after a concussion, even when a few independent doctors gave him an OK.

data

Forbes #1
For what it's worth, WWE has mandatory retirement procedures in place for head trauma now. Arguably their most popular current star retired a few months ago in his 30s after WWE officials refused to clear him after a concussion, even when a few independent doctors gave him an OK.
I heard about Daniel Bryan. Sucks. I started to read up more about the storyline after I went to Wrestlemania last year. Kind of got back into it.

Watched the raw after wrestlemania a couple weeks ago and it was horrid.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Between the neck injury that was the beginning of the end for him and CM Punk's retirement and breaking up the Shield, my wife and I quit watching. We'd have kept on with it if we thought anyone good was going to get a push to replace them, but they took forever to recognize Bryan's talent, they still can't figure out how good Antonio Cesaro is and do anything with him.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Cena. Heel. Now.
They have Cena where they want him. He's a heel to the smarks and a hero to the marks. Women and children and foreigners tune in to cheer him and dudes my age tune in hoping he loses.

It's kind of what they did with Bret Hart when he was a heel in the US and a face everywhere else, only this time it happened more organically.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Between the neck injury that was the beginning of the end for him and CM Punk's retirement and breaking up the Shield, my wife and I quit watching. We'd have kept on with it if we thought anyone good was going to get a push to replace them, but they took forever to recognize Bryan's talent, they still can't figure out how good Antonio Cesaro is and do anything with him.
The tide seems to be shifting right now. AJ Styles is getting a title shot, and they are acknowledging his pedigree in Japan. Anderson and Gallows are in on that angle, and Finn Balor may be called up soon. Between these guys from New Japan and the Owens-Zayn feud, the WWE is starting to acknowledge that wrestling exists elsewhere. Cesaro is back with a more defined gimmick and was in a number one contender's match the night of his return from injury. It has been inconsistent at best, but there are promising signs.

I find watching the 1.5 hr Hulu version of Raw helps. They edit out most of the crap.

data

Forbes #1
Heart wrenching love story, people think of The Notebook. I think of miss Elizabeth and macho man getting back together.

Top Bottom