College Basketball Chatter...

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Kinda/sorta OT but congrats to the Baylor women's team on their title. Clearly outplayed and out coached ND.

Side note: Is the Baylor coach Mulkey married? I'm asking for a friend.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am embarrassed by our students. That shit is terrible. I would expect it from other schools but we (should) be held to a higher standard.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Kinda/sorta OT but congrats to the Baylor women's team on their title. Clearly outplayed and out coached ND.

Side note: Is the Baylor coach Mulkey married? I'm asking for a friend.
The team almost collapsed when the tall blonde was injured. I don’t think they could have made it through an overtime period.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am embarrassed by our students. That shit is terrible. I would expect it from other schools but we (should) be held to a higher standard.
Yep they are acting like real cottonpickers.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I mean, I think it’s pretty trashy to burn stuff in the streets and all but come on...

it it seem like there were drunken street parties, a few 55 gallon drums of trash and about 5 scooters that were torched. Most of that happens on a regular Saturday night in a college town. I was expecting burning houses and rapes.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Meanwhile...

EAST LANSING — Officers made 23 arrests and fire crews responded to 10 fires following Michigan State's 61-51 loss to Texas Tech in the NCAA Tournament national semifinal Saturday night.

Nine of the people arrested were MSU students, a city spokesperson said.

Hours before the game, thousands descended on East Lansing to gather at bars and restaurants to watch the Spartans in their first Final Four appearance since 2015. Some 6,000 gathered in Munn Ice Arena on campus to watch on large screens.

After the game, crowds started gathering at the intersection of River Street and Waters Edge Drive, near Cedar Village Apartments, according to a statement released by the East Lansing Police Department on Sunday afternoon.

The crowd soon moved to the intersection of Grand River Avenue and Woodmere Avenue and blocked the road way.

People in the crowd – which police estimate may have reached up to 1,500 people — tore down a street sign and threw glass bottles into the air.

There were three incidents of property damage — two signs and one police van — according to the statement, which did not list the value of the damaged items.

Law enforcement officers dispersed the crowd without the use of tear gas or similar "chemical crowd management devices," according to the statement.

"The police were ready for this; they were well prepared for what was happening," Mayor Mark Meadows said early Sunday evening. "They contained everything that occurred, and it was relatively brief compared to some of what we’ve had in the past."
[h=2]One felony, 22 misdemeanors[/h]
East Lansing police and officers from seven assisting agencies arrested several individuals — 22 for misdemeanors and one for a felony.

About 200 officers from East Lansing police and seven assisting agencies were on hand in case there was an incident during or after the game.

East Lansing officers had help from Michigan State Police, Michigan State University Police Department, Ingham County Sheriff's Office (including the mounted unit), Eaton County Sheriff's Office, Meridian Township Police Department, Lansing Police Department and Clinton County Sheriff's Office.

Meadows said that's standard operating procedure.

"We always ask other police agencies to assist us on nights like this, only because it became predictable," he said, referring to the past history of crowds, furniture fires and disturbances following MSU sporting events.

Mikell Frey, a communications coordinator for the city, said most of the arrests were for disorderly conduct or were related to open alcohol containers.

The one felony was a charge added on for a person who damaged the interior of a police van while already in custody, she said.

Meadoww and Frey had no information about cost of the effort on Sunday.

Deputy Chief Steve Gonzalez did not respond to State Journal requests for an interview to go over details. Frey said he had worked through much of the night and provided details for the statement but told her he could answer questions Monday.

A Michigan State University spokesperson also did not respond to State Journal requests for more details. about the arrests.

MSU said last week that any students who take part in an unlawful assembly are subject to university sanctions. That could include suspension, expulsion or other sanctions, university officials said.

Before the game, MSU and East Lansing police urged students and other Spartan fans to keep a lid on post-game celebrations.

In a joint press release, city and university officials warned people that anyone who takes part in "destructive gatherings" could face criminal charges and university sanctions ranging up to expulsion.

East Lansing fire and police departments and assisting agencies also responded to 10 small fires in other areas of the city.

According to the statement, those fires consisted of small pieces of furniture and did not have significantly sized crowds gathered around them. [h=2]More arrests than after win against Duke[/h]
An East Lansing ordinance, originally passed after a large 1999 riot, made it illegal to loiter within 300 feet of an open fire without attempting to put it out or contact emergency services. Ingham County Judge Andrea Larkin ruled the ordinance unconstitutional in 2016, and police now have to tell anyone gathered around a fire they are violating a city ordinance and give them a chance to leave. Anyone who doesn't comply could be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $550 fine.

It's not clear whether any of the 22 misdemeanor arrests Saturday night were due to that ordinance.

Police arrested two men on disorderly conduct charges on March 30 after MSU beat Duke to advance to the Final Four. The arrests came during a large celebration on Cedar Street that included a furniture fire and glass bottles that were tossed.

In December 2013, police arrested 15 people after nearly 1,000 fans gathered around furniture-fueled bonfires following the MSU football team's victory over Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship.

Contact reporter Megan Banta at (517) 377-1261 or mbanta@lsj.com. Follow her on Twitter @MeganBanta_1.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I mean, I think it’s pretty trashy to burn stuff in the streets and all but come on...

it it seem like there were drunken street parties, a few 55 gallon drums of trash and about 5 scooters that were torched. Most of that happens on a regular Saturday night in a college town. I was expecting burning houses and rapes.
Yea it's not a great look but I'm pretty sure both of yall have been to Austin and seen the infestation of those fucking scooters and get they deserve to be burned.

This comment from that reporters thread should make you smile Cotton

Cotton

Staff member
Good for her. We need more of that.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So if Texas Tech wins tonight do all Big XII teams get credit for the win like SEC football? Asking for a friend.

Cotton

Staff member
So if Texas Tech wins tonight do all Big XII teams get credit for the win like SEC football? Asking for a friend.
They should. The Big 12 is the best basketball conference in the nation this year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Big 12 wasn't as good as the Big 10 or ACC, let alone the best in the country. Texas Tech has obviously had an amazing run but the rest of the Big 12 has been a joke this tournament, whereas you have several Big 10 and ACC teams who made it deep (Purdue, Michigan St., Michigan, UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU) while Texas Tech is the only Big 12 team to make the Sweet 16. You could probably even argue that the SEC was better with Kentucky, Tennessee, LSU and of course Auburn.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The Big 12 wasn't as good as the Big 10 or ACC, let alone the best in the country. Texas Tech has obviously had an amazing run but the rest of the Big 12 has been a joke this tournament, whereas you have several Big 10 and ACC teams who made it deep (Purdue, Michigan St., Michigan, UVA, Duke, UNC, FSU) while Texas Tech is the only Big 12 team to make the Sweet 16. You could probably even argue that the SEC was better with Kentucky, Tennessee, LSU and of course Auburn.
Don't dismiss them so quickly. IIRC, about half the Big 12 conference was ranked in the top 25 as recently as lat February. They just weren't receiving the same national buzz that teams from the ACC or Big 10 were receiving.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I know one thing though....there ain't no one out there who can touch Oklahoma's gymnastics team. We own that shit.

We're basically the Alabama football of men's gymnastics.

Cotton

Staff member
Don't dismiss them so quickly. IIRC, about half the Big 12 conference was ranked in the top 25 as recently as lat February. They just weren't receiving the same national buzz that teams from the ACC or Big 10 were receiving.
The Big 12 was the best basketball conference in the nation from top to bottom.

Cotton

Staff member
I know one thing though....there ain't no one out there who can touch Oklahoma's gymnastics team. We own that shit.

We're basically the Alabama football of men's gymnastics.
Oh yeah? Well, we will smoke your ass in meat judging!

Cotton

Staff member
This sucks. But, we had a great season and performed well above what was expected of us. This program is around to stay.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Great run by Texas Tech. That was a hell of a game though.

I hate that Culver rushed that shot near the end of regulation. He just ran down court and chucked up a 3 pointer with about 7 seconds left on the clock instead of working for a better look. That bad decision could have been disastrous and would have been right up there among the all-time gaffs with the likes of Chris Webber's timeout call had Virginia secured the rebound and came down and scored off the rebound.

Cotton

Staff member
Great run by Texas Tech. That was a hell of a game though.

I hate that Culver rushed that shot near the end of regulation. He just ran down court and chucked up a 3 pointer with about 7 seconds left on the clock instead of working for a better look. That bad decision could have been disastrous and would have been right up there among the all-time gaffs with the likes of Chris Webber's timeout call had Virginia secured the rebound and came down and scored off the rebound.
That play and the play that allowed Virginia to tie the game with 17 seconds left. They left him wide the fuck open in the corner for that 3. Very atypical of them. Those two plays were daggers.

Top Bottom