NBA Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This sounds like a win-win for both sides.

Melo's getting $28 million from the Hawks from the buyout so the Rockets will only have to pay him a $2.4 million veterans minimum.

Despite what you might think of Melo's current playing ability, that's a hell of a bargain for Houston.

I also think that if he is humble enough to accept a sixth-man type role and changes his game to suit what the Rockets do best, he could be for them what Ray Allen was for Boston.

If he comes in with the right attitude I think he can be a very productive player for them and be better for them than he was for OKC.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I also think that if he is humble enough to accept a sixth-man type role and changes his game to suit what the Rockets do best, he could be for them what Ray Allen was for Boston.

If he comes in with the right attitude I think he can be a very productive player for them and be better for them than he was for OKC.
It also helps that he'll be switching back to SF. OKC primarily played him at PF.

Even with the game being more perimeter oriented, my guess is banging bodies against guys who were bigger than him added a bit of extra wear and tear to his body and we saw the negative effect during the latter half of the season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
Jemele Hill wrote an article based on her conversation with Melo. Here are a couple of interesting points that should scare the hell out of Rockets fans.

“At the end of the day, it [OKC] wasn’t a good fit ,” he said. “I think last year — and I haven’t talked about this before — everything was just so rushed, going to the team for media day and the day before training camp. Them guys already had something in place, and then I come along in the 25th hour like, ‘Oh, s—, Melo, just come on and join us. Like, you can figure it out since you’ve been around the game for a long time.’ That’s why it was so inconsistent. At times I had to figure it out on my own, rather than somebody over there or people over there helping me.”
I guess it's possible that this is true but I find it highly unlikely that a guy who the team desperately wanted to bring in wasn't helped and was left to "figure it out on his own".

It just comes off as finger pointing and excuse making for Melo. Not owning up to the fact that his skills have declined and that he's not that good anymore.

Second point:

One of the moments that stood out from the Thunder’s tumultuous season was Anthony laughing when he was asked if he’d ever consider coming off the bench. For some, that was just the latest evidence of Melo’s selfishness.

But Pissed Off Melo has a message for you.

“I know how to play this game of basketball,” he said. “I’ve been playing it for a long time. When I feel like I’m ready to take that role, then I’ll take that role. Only I know when it’s best for me to take that role. I’m not going to do that in a situation where I still know my capabilities and what I can do.
So only Melo gets to decide if and when he'll come off the bench. :lol

I guess we can forget about Melo checking his ego and accepting a role off the bench. I honestly don't get why D'Antoni doesn't just force him to the bench. I thought Billy Donovan should have done the same thing in OKC. Your responsibility as the HC is to do what's best for the team, not what's best for Melo.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jealousy is not a good fit.....

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I usually like and admire what the rockets do but I don't see how this ends well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is going to be a great season...so many good teams, so many teams have a chance to get to the finals, great storylines all over too.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This is going to be a great season...so many good teams, so many teams have a chance to get to the finals, great storylines all over too.
Regular season will definitely be interesting. That's why even though the Warriors winning the title again is a foregone conclusion, I still get League Pass every year.

Personally what interests me the most, besides my OKC squad, is the new look Raptors. If Kawhi is back to his old self and is motivated, that's a 55 win team, IMO. DeRozan is a good player, but Kawhi is better on both ends of the floor. I like this one year gamble that the Raptors are taking.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The G-League will target and pay "one and done" type prospects 125k a year to play in the G-league starting summer 2019.

There goes Duke and Kentucky's 2019 classes.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sorry Rox fans, but you're stuck with Melo now and no, he's not going to change. Forget his attitude, he's simply not a good player anymore. Get ready for some major frustration.

Man, NBA coverage is frustrating. It's like Lebron is all the matters to anyone. Seems like it's barely a team sport anymore.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Sorry Rox fans, but you're stuck with Melo now and no, he's not going to change. Forget his attitude, he's simply not a good player anymore. Get ready for some major frustration.
Yeah, last night he looked like the same marginal player that I watched in OKC during the latter half of last season. At this point in his career he has a so-so jump shot and he's terrible defensively.

He was far from Houston's only problem last night and obviously it was just one game, but man, damn if he didn't look like the same old worn out Melo who Thunder fans couldn't wait to dump.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Did LeBron leave his uniform in the dryer too long?

Why is he wearing it so small?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Did LeBron leave his uniform in the dryer too long?

Why is he wearing it so small?
The slim athletic fit is in. You know that.

Don't act like you don't be rocking skinny jeans.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah, last night he looked like the same marginal player that I watched in OKC during the latter half of last season. At this point in his career he has a so-so jump shot and he's terrible defensively.

He was far from Houston's only problem last night and obviously it was just one game, but man, damn if he didn't look like the same old worn out Melo who Thunder fans couldn't wait to dump.
Dont be jealous.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Embiid says he loves playing with Redick and wishes he was 24 so they could play together for 10-15 years. But, he says, “he’s old as shit” :lol

Top Bottom