NBA Chatter Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am on the Bamba bandwagon officially now! Exciting looking player for the Magic.
Wendell Carter also looks excellent. Even though each of the 4 big men that went before him have some sort of advantage over him he is almost certainly the most well-rounded offensively (post, 3-point shot, ball-handling, passing) and defensively (switching in space, being able to bang down low, rim protection).

I'm almost certain he's going to end up better than 2 of the 4 big men who went before him, and perhaps even 3, I'm just not sure which. I'd guess Bagley for sure and then if I had to bet it'd probably be Bamba just because of how raw he is offensively, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be Ayton who strikes me as soft and I think he'll struggle defensively.

Either way, I'm just extremely happy they took Carter instead of brokeback MPJ.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm gonna go down with the hating Wendell Carter ship.

Should have moved up for Bamba or JJJ, fuckers.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm gonna go down with the hating Wendell Carter ship.

Should have moved up for Bamba or JJJ, fuckers.
Not that I need this article to tell me what I can see with my own two eyes but here you go:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24071822/wendell-carter-jr-best-big-las-vegas-nba

LAS VEGAS -- Duke product Wendell Carter Jr. was the last of the five big men taken in the first seven picks of this year's NBA draft. So far during the NBA summer league in Las Vegas, however, Carter perhaps has been the best of the group. His game looks to translate well to the modern NBA.

Nearly the full complement of Carter's skills was on display Wednesday during the Chicago Bulls' 95-83 win over the Dallas Mavericks in the opening round of summer tournament play. Carter finished with 19 points on 9-of-11 shooting, pulling down nine rebounds and handing out two assists as the Bulls outscored Dallas by 22 points in his 30 minutes of action.

Let's start at the defensive end, the strength of Carter's game right now. Chicago is comfortable switching Carter on anyone, even point guards, and he has more than held his own on those plays. On one sequence during the second half Wednesday, he stayed with Dallas guard Josh Adams and forced a double dribble.

The downside of using Carter to switch pick-and-rolls is that it takes him away from the basket, where he's proved to be an excellent rim protector. Though Carter had no blocks on Wednesday, he's still averaging 2.8 blocks per game in four summer appearances, putting him among the leaders in Las Vegas and tops among this year's lottery picks -- ahead of more heralded shot blocker Mohamed Bamba, the sixth pick.

Rather than just accumulating blocks by chasing after every shot, Carter has racked them up while remaining disciplined defensively. He already shows a grasp of verticality as a defensive tool and strong instincts for whether to stay home defensively or help. And when opponents do try to challenge him, Carter can swallow them up. On one highlight play on Saturday, he blocked Cleveland Cavaliers center Ante Zizic with two hands, essentially ripping the ball away.

At 6-foot-10, Carter doesn't have the size of No. 1 overall pick Deandre Ayton or the shooting ability of No. 4 pick Jaren Jackson Jr., who made eight 3-pointers in his summer debut. He wasn't as high-scoring at Duke as his teammate Marvin Bagley III, drafted second by the Sacramento Kings. Yet Carter's 16.8 points per game so far this summer also lead this year's lottery bigs.

Carter has displayed atypical polish for a 19-year-old big man with one year of college experience. His most impressive move Tuesday saw Carter patiently post up smaller defender Ray Spalding, get him up in the air using a pump fake and then step through for a smooth left-handed finish in the paint.

In addition to posting up smaller defenders, Carter also has shown the ability to use a face-up game. During the fourth quarter Wednesday, he did so against Mavericks second-round pick Kostas Antetokounmpo, hitting a jumper while being fouled by Antetokounmpo and making the free throw to complete the three-point play.

As a screener in the pick-and-roll, Carter has good feel for where to go with or without the ball. His passing out of the pick-and-roll to open shooters on the weak side is far beyond his years, and Carter can put the ball on the ground if necessary or finish above the rim. And while it's not yet a big part of his game, Carter shows potential as a pick-and-pop option. He's made half of the six 3-pointers he's attempted thus far.

Reading too much into performance during summer league is dangerous given the small samples involved. From a subjective perspective, however, the skills and instincts Carter has flashed at both ends of the court have been as impressive as we've seen from any rookie big man. Given where he was drafted, that has to be exciting for a Bulls franchise in need of talent.

---

I mean, his polish on both ends is amazing, offensively especially. He's shown the ability to step into 3's in transition, he's hit floaters on the move in the lane, his footwork is excellent, he finishes with both hands, and in the post he's already shown the ability to execute fade aways, dropsteps and up and unders.

I think once he adjusts to the speed of the game he might be one of the most refined post players in the league just as a rookie.

The only thing he's missing is the legit 7 foot size and the elite run/jump explosiveness of an Ayton, although if he had that we'd be talking about an Olajuwon/Duncan type of prospect, that's how good he is otherwise.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In the first sentence of the article you will find the reason Smitty doesn't like him.

I can't say much either because I'm the same way with the shorthorns as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We'll see, I still don't see the size or explosion needed to be a star. Hitting a lot of two pointers there that will be much tougher when he's not the most talented player on the floor like he is right now or he was when he was in college most games.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
MPJ just had another back surgery and may miss the entire season while Carter made summer league 1st team.

Feeling pretty good about that pick, although I still wish they had tried to make a move up for Doncic or JJJ.

And Parker is a nice high upside, low risk move. It may not turn into anything but it's a nice lottery ticket on what is basically a 1 year deal. Now they just have to clear out the logjam in the frontcourt a bit to make some room for Parker to play some minutes at the 4.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Parker can excel as a starter at the 3. I don't want him at the 4 except in small ball lineups when Markkanen plays 5.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
MPJ just had another back surgery and may miss the entire season while Carter made summer league 1st team.

Feeling pretty good about that pick, although I still wish they had tried to make a move up for Doncic or JJJ.

And Parker is a nice high upside, low risk move. It may not turn into anything but it's a nice lottery ticket on what is basically a 1 year deal. Now they just have to clear out the logjam in the frontcourt a bit to make some room for Parker to play some minutes at the 4.
Wow.

Yesterday I saw the link to that story buried at the bottom of an article I was reading and didn't see anything about it on ESPN or NBATV so I assumed it was old and didn't bother clicking it.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
OKC finally parted ways with Carmelo Anthony via a three way deal with the Hawks and Sixers.

I like the deal for all parties involved.

Atlanta cleared the way for Trae Young to take over the PG position and don't have to worry about paying Schroder's salary.

OKC get's a PG who could possibly be one of the top sixth men in the league next year.

After losing a couple of their long range shooters in FA, Philly gets a much needed shooter in Muscala who could help stretch the floor and create space Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz to operate.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
OKC finally parted ways with Carmelo Anthony via a three way deal with the Hawks and Sixers.

I like the deal for all parties involved.

Atlanta cleared the way for Trae Young to take over the PG position and don't have to worry about paying Schroder's salary.

OKC get's a PG who could possibly be one of the top sixth men in the league next year.

After losing a couple of their long range shooters in FA, Philly gets a much needed shooter in Muscala who could help stretch the floor and create space Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz to operate.

and Houston could get Melo. Hope we get another treasure from OKC.

1bigfan13

Staff member
and Houston could get Melo. Hope we get another treasure from OKC.
:lol
I don't think you want this "treasure".

I think Melo can be a really nice add if he's willing to check his ego and embrace doing more of the dirty work. Kinda like Grant Hill did at the back end of his career. A move back to SF will also be good for him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Melo can be a really nice add if he's willing to check his ego and embrace doing more of the dirty work.
But he's not, so...

D

Deuce

Bleh.

Great defender and a hard worker, but not worth that kind of jack. I would have done a sign and trade with him.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Bleh.

Great defender and a hard worker, but not worth that kind of jack. I would have done a sign and trade with him.
That's actually not a bad contract in the NBA world. I'd say it's very fair and a salary that could be easily moved down the road should they choose to do so.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Looks like Melo is officially a Rocket.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This sounds like a win-win for both sides.

Melo's getting $28 million from the Hawks from the buyout so the Rockets will only have to pay him a $2.4 million veterans minimum.

Despite what you might think of Melo's current playing ability, that's a hell of a bargain for Houston.

Top Bottom