NBA Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

Their only hope is to move some of those guys for perimeter players who can score. You've got Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Issaac and Bamba. You only need two of those guys probably. So dump one of them. I'm not a basketball expert so I have no idea what type of contracts they have and if they are movable. But it would make the most sense to me to move Vucevic and keep the young guys. Vucevic is the most proven but you're not winning right now so go young. Make Bamba your traditional center and use Issaac and Gordon next to him.
Vucevic is going into the last year of his deal, so he’s the tradable asset. The problem is, he’s the only one with any offensive game. You trade him and they lose one of only 2 scorers they have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vucevic is going into the last year of his deal, so he’s the tradable asset. The problem is, he’s the only one with any offensive game. You trade him and they lose one of only 2 scorers they have.
True but it's not like they are going to win anything of significance next year. Better to bottom out again if necessary and get the assets so that you can hopefully add scoring down the road. They aren't ready to take the next step so put it off a year and develop the young guys. I think Bamba has some promise on the offensive end of the floor too. But I don't think sitting those types of guys is going to help develop it any. Same thing with Isaac who came into the NBA with offensive promise. He has a pretty good stroke. But you'll never develop it with him playing no real role in your offense. Aaron Gordon has developed into a decent offensive scorer so obviously you'd like to keep him around long term. Especially with him only being 22 years old.

They really need a PG though. Someone who can score and be a facilitator. DJ Augustin is neither and he is older.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I've watched a lot of Doncic, all the way back to the Euro tournament last summer, he's going to be the best player in the draft, a guy who can change the culture of a team with his passing/vision. He'll be excellent in Dallas for a long time, if he wasn't going to be in Chicago I'm glad he ended up in Dallas.
IT's going to be exciting around here with 2 playmakers at the guard position. I think Dallas winds up with Jordan as well so it'll be a fun starting 5 to watch.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Looks like Magic is getting his wish...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is something very wrong in a league where a superstar (Kawhi) refuses to play for one of the best run franchises in the league (Spurs) under one of the best coaches of all time (Popovich) just so he can join a rebuilding, relatively dysfunctional franchise like the Lakers that has nothing to show for itself other than the "Laker mystique" potentially drawing in other free agents.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
There is something very wrong in a league where a superstar (Kawhi) refuses to play for one of the best run franchises in the league (Spurs) under one of the best coaches of all time (Popovich) just so he can join a rebuilding, relatively dysfunctional franchise like the Lakers that has nothing to show for itself other than the "Laker mystique" potentially drawing in other free agents.
Maybe Leonard is a conservative and hates Pop's political BS! :unsure

Cotton

Staff member

No surprise here.

Cotton

Staff member

Awkward.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

No surprise here.
I think it's a slam dunk he's going to the Lakers. I can't imagine he'll go back to Cleveland just because of their inability to put much of a team around him. It doesn't seem like any other team is in the mix.

Cotton

Staff member

I guess we can find it in ourselves to forgive and forget.

D

Deuce

Lebron to LAL.

lawl I can’t wait til they whiff on all their other targets and they expect him to win with Kuzma and Lonzo.

Hopefully Leonard is dealt to the Clips and it solidifies Celts/6ers v Golden state for the next 10 Finals’.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Now that the smoke has cleared after the first full day of free agency here are some of my initial thoughts.

• Obviously Lebron to the Lakers was the biggest move of the day. Unless they catch a few breaks, I don't see them getting past round 2 this year. However next If they do indeed add Kawhi as well as a couple of good shooters, I could see them making a run and being a serious threat to the Warriors.

• I think the Lakers need to get off their high-horse and include Ingram & Kuzma in their trade offer to the Spurs. They played with fire last year when they tried to wait out Paul George, assuming that he'd sign with them as a FA, and they ended up getting burned. Kawhi is widely considered one of the top 5 players on the planet. Why the hell would you balk at not giving up a couple of young guys for an elite talent like Leonard? What if the Sixers acquire Kawhi and he actually likes it there and decides to re-sign.....just like PG13 in OKC? I wouldn't take the chance and risk losing out on him.

• Paul George staying in OKC was nice and all but I hate the fact that OKC is sticking with Billy Donovan as their head coach. He limits their potential. I made the comparison yesterday that it's like handing the keys to a Corvette to an 85 year old grandma....the car will never get over 60 MPH. My new nickname for him is the human restrictor plate.

• Reports of Kawhi Leonard threatening to sit out are empty. I read that there's a provision in the NBA's CBA that prevents players from withholding their services. So basically he can't just sit out this year and re-sign with the Lakers next year. By league rules if he chooses to sit out in a contract dispute he wouldn't be eligible for FA in 2019 and the Spurs would still retain his rights.

• With the the Western Conference receiving another boost of star power, they've re-started talks of having the best teams in the playoffs, 1 thru 16, regardless of conference affiliation. If this happens I'd be willing to bet that 12 of 16 playoff teams come out of the West.

• Cleveland is probably lottery bound and will now fall into the abyss of faceless NBA franchises. Where they will join the likes of the Sacramento Kings, Charlotte Hornets, and Orlando Magic. Who?....you might ask. Exactly.

• I like DeAndre Jordan to the Mavs. He's a Texas native and before he was kidnapped by the Clippers in 2015, you kind of get the impression that he was home sick and really wanted to play in Texas. For that reason I think this one-year deal is a precursor to a multi-year contract next summer. As for on the court impact. He's a player that's largely dependent on his teammates setting him up for easy baskets. If Doncic is as heady of a player and passer as reports say he is, then Jordan should still get you around 12 ppg. His biggest and most immediate impact will obviously be on the defensive end. He's a great rebounder and pretty good rim protector.

• All in all the real winners yesterday were the Sixers, Raptors, and Celtics. The path in to the NBA Finals is finally wide open for them.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Now that the smoke has cleared after the first full day of free agency here are some of my initial thoughts.

• Obviously Lebron to the Lakers was the biggest move of the day. Unless they catch a few breaks, I don't see them getting past round 2 this year. However next If they do indeed add Kawhi as well as a couple of good shooters, I could see them making a run and being a serious threat to the Warriors.

• I think the Lakers need to get off their high-horse and include Ingram & Kuzma in their trade offer to the Spurs. They played with fire last year when they tried to wait out Paul George, assuming that he'd sign with them as a FA, and they ended up getting burned. Kawhi is widely considered one of the top 5 players on the planet. Why the hell would you balk at not giving up a couple of young guys for an elite talent like Leonard? What if the Sixers acquire Kawhi and he actually likes it there and decides to re-sign.....just like PG13 in OKC? I wouldn't take the chance and risk losing out on him.

• Paul George staying in OKC was nice and all but I hate the fact that OKC is sticking with Billy Donovan as their head coach. He limits their potential. I made the comparison yesterday that it's like handing the keys to a Corvette to an 85 year old grandma....the car will never get over 60 MPH. My new nickname for him is the human restrictor plate.

• Reports of Kawhi Leonard threatening to sit out are empty. I read that there's an provision in the NBA's CBA that prevents players from withholding their services. So basically he can't just sit out this year and re-sign with the Lakers next year. By league rules if he chooses to sit out in a contract dispute he wouldn't be eligible for FA in 2019 and the Spurs would still retain his rights.

• With the the Western Conference receiving another boost of star power, they've re-started talks of having the best teams in the playoffs, 1 thru 16, regardless of conference affiliation. If this happens I'd be willing to bet that 12 of 16 playoff teams come out of the West.

• Cleveland is probably lottery bound and will now fall into abyss of faceless NBA franchises. Where they will join the likes of the Sacramento Kings, Charlotte Hornets, and Orlando Magic. Who?....you might ask. Exactly.

• I like DeAndre Jordan to the Mavs. He's a Texas native and before he was kidnapped by the Clippers in 2015, you kind of get the impression that he was home sick and really wanted to play in Texas. For that reason I think this one-year deal is a precursor to a multi-year contract next summer. As for on the court impact. He's a player that largely dependent on his teammates setting him up for easy baskets. If Doncic is as heady of a player and passer as reports say he is, then Jordan should still get you around 12 ppg. His biggest and most immediate impact will obviously be on the defensive end. He's a great rebounder and pretty good rim protector.

• All in all the real winners yesterday were the Sixers, Raptors, and Celtics. The path in to the NBA Finals is finally wide open for them.
10/10. Would read again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Does it really matter who makes it out of the East if they have no shot to beat whoever comes out of the West, barring injury?

A fully healthy Celtics team are the only ones who I think have a chance at whoever comes out of the West, so if the Sixers or Raptors make it and get swept or lose 4-1, does it really matter?

As far as the Lakers, even with Kawhi I wouldn't favor them to come out of the West, and I'm not even sure I'd favor them to beat the Rockets in a series. Depends on how the rest of the Rockets/Lakers rosters shake out, and of course whether or not Paul is healthy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rockets were supposed to talk wit Capela over the weekend. Wonder how much they are going to be forced to pay him?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Does it really matter who makes it out of the East if they have no shot to beat whoever comes out of the West, barring injury?

A fully healthy Celtics team are the only ones who I think have a chance at whoever comes out of the West, so if the Sixers or Raptors make it and get swept or lose 4-1, does it really matter?

As far as the Lakers, even with Kawhi I wouldn't favor them to come out of the West, and I'm not even sure I'd favor them to beat the Rockets in a series. Depends on how the rest of the Rockets/Lakers rosters shake out, and of course whether or not Paul is healthy.
I could actually see one of the Celtics finish with the best record in the NBA next year; thanks in large part to them being able to pad their stats against weak Eastern Conference competition. If fully healthy and Tatum continuing his development, I'd give them a solid shot against the top teams from the West.

As for the Sixers, I think a lot depends on the development of Ben Simmons. Dude has got to develop some type of outside shot because once the playoffs roll around teams are going to teams are going to take clog the driving lanes and force him to prove he can beat them outside the pain. He doesn't have to develop a 3 point shot. Something in the 15-18 foot range would help tremendously.

Top Bottom