NBA Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ok Techies, tell me me about Zhaire Smith.
You are going to like you some Zhaire Smith. It just about made me cry when he declared. Just an exciting athletic player with already some highlight dunks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ok Techies, tell me me about Zhaire Smith.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith is extremely athletic, very good defender, can't really shoot so I think that could be troublesome around Simmons/Embiid and presumably Fultz.

I like Smith with the Sixers but I thought Bridges was a better fit with his shooting ability and equally as good, if not better defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bulls are so pathetic.
The only thing I will regret is not trading up for Doncic, although it's possible that Atlanta refused to trade down past Orlando where they'd risk losing out on Young.

Carter is a lot better than you think and is a much better pick than Porter. Everybody falls in love with the idea of players this time of year, the idea of a superstar wing, the idea of a franchise player, the idea of another Kevin Durant, Porter might physically resemble what people have in their mind's eye of a franchise wing or another Durant but he isn't that.

He's damaged goods and to me hasn't proved enough on the court to take that risk, he didn't have a dominant college season like an Embiid or a Simmons, and he didn't even show flashes like Kyrie. He probably wasn't 100% but there was literally nothing to go off of with him and there's a reason he dropped to 14.

I like Carter over Bagley and I don't think it's outlandish to think he could end up being better than any one of Bamba, JJJ and Ayton. I had Bamba one spot ahead of Carter and I wish he fell to 7 but there is no guarantee Bamba reaches what people imagine he could be and as it stands today Carter is much more well-rounded and much more skilled, while having impressive length himself.

I'm disappointed they didn't end up with a top 3 pick like so many Bulls fans expected this time last year but the fact of the matter is they ended up at 7 and there's nothing you can do about it. Doncic is really the only guy I'll regret missing out on in a trade up, maybe JJJ, but other than that I'm good with Carter. He's not going to be a top 10 player, face of the league type of guy but he's going to be a really good, perhaps multiple time All Star type of player that is a piece to the puzzle.

They've only been rebuilding for a year now, it was never supposed to end a year after they traded Butler and they will probably be in the lottery 2, maybe 3 more years in a row. Hope for a little more luck next time, hope to find a wing you can build around (Barrett, Little) and if that happens you're looking really nice with this frontcourt, Dunn, and maybe this guy Hutchison if he works out.

With all that said, I still don't have faith in the front office, the cheap bastards will probably sell their 2nd rounder again next year.

D

Deuce

I’m disappointed to see the Magic with Bamba. He’s another all defense/no offense guy their team is already littered with. I would have rather them taken Carter or make the Doncic trade with ATL. I was also really, really wishing the Bulls would get Grayson Allen late in the first for my own selfish reasons of wanting to see Schmidty squirm.

As for the Celtics, Ainge saw a guy with a perfect skill set for their need and he pulled the trigger. Assuming Stevens’ can keep his head on straight for a few seasons, he’ll be the perfect Kendrick Perkins for this version of a championship team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m disappointed to see the Magic with Bamba. He’s another all defense/no offense guy their team is already littered with. I would have rather them taken Carter or make the Doncic trade with ATL. I was also really, really wishing the Bulls would get Grayson Allen late in the first for my own selfish reasons of wanting to see Schmidty squirm.

As for the Celtics, Ainge saw a guy with a perfect skill set for their need and he pulled the trigger. Assuming Stevens’ can keep his head on straight for a few seasons, he’ll be the perfect Kendrick Perkins for this version of a championship team.
I really like Bamba just because of his freakish length. You look for special qualities and he has some. But I really wanted them to get Trae Young. Would have fit in with them perfectly as a scorer to compliment all the length and athletic ability they already have. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day but the Magic still have to be sitting there wishing they had an elite perimeter guy.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You are going to like you some Zhaire Smith. It just about made me cry when he declared. Just an exciting athletic player with already some highlight dunks.
:towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm glad the Mavs got Doncic. I was not a fan of the idea of taking Bamba.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Smith is extremely athletic, very good defender, can't really shoot so I think that could be troublesome around Simmons/Embiid and presumably Fultz.

I like Smith with the Sixers but I thought Bridges was a better fit with his shooting ability and equally as good, if not better defense.
Yeah I heard an interview with Brett Brown and it sounds like Brown likes Zhaire a lot but likes Bridges better. But obviously liked Zhaire plus the unprotected Heat pick best.

Interestingly, Brown mentioned that Denver was originally looking at Zhaire before Porter fell, and had Zhaire been the Denver pick, Bridges would still be a sixer. Apparently Porter didn't interest the sixers.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I heard an interview with Brett Brown and it sounds like Brown likes Zhaire a lot but likes Bridges better. But obviously liked Zhaire plus the unprotected Heat pick best.

Interestingly, Brown mentioned that Denver was originally looking at Zhaire before Porter fell, and had Zhaire been the Denver pick, Bridges would still be a sixer. Apparently Porter didn't interest the sixers.
You are going to like Zhaire a lot. He is a lot of fun to watch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea, I'm not really sure what the Magic are getting at, you definitely want to go BPA as much as you can but they just keep drafting guys with duplicative skillsets and overlapping play styles. Like, I don't see how Isaac and Bamba are really going to coexist and develop together, and then you throw in Gordon on top of that who plays in a very similar fashion to Isaac and you have a huge backlog while DJ Augustin is starting at PG.

If you can't move up for Doncic at least try to trade down for pretty much whatever and take Sexton or SGA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, I'm not really sure what the Magic are getting at, you definitely want to go BPA as much as you can but they just keep drafting guys with duplicative skillsets and overlapping play styles. Like, I don't see how Isaac and Bamba are really going to coexist and develop together, and then you throw in Gordon on top of that who plays in a very similar fashion to Isaac and you have a huge backlog while DJ Augustin is starting at PG.

If you can't move up for Doncic at least try to trade down for pretty much whatever and take Sexton or SGA.
Their only hope is to move some of those guys for perimeter players who can score. You've got Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Issaac and Bamba. You only need two of those guys probably. So dump one of them. I'm not a basketball expert so I have no idea what type of contracts they have and if they are movable. But it would make the most sense to me to move Vucevic and keep the young guys. Vucevic is the most proven but you're not winning right now so go young. Make Bamba your traditional center and use Issaac and Gordon next to him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Their only hope is to move some of those guys for perimeter players who can score. You've got Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Issaac and Bamba. You only need two of those guys probably. So dump one of them. I'm not a basketball expert so I have no idea what type of contracts they have and if they are movable. But it would make the most sense to me to move Vucevic and keep the young guys. Vucevic is the most proven but you're not winning right now so go young. Make Bamba your traditional center and use Issaac and Gordon next to him.
I'll trade you Carter for Bamba.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll trade you Carter for Bamba.
The Magic desperately need a star player. Bamba definitely has more potential to be special then Carter although Carter might be the more solid player right now. The Magic definitely made the right pick between those two and probably made the right pick long term. Better to have the guy with the high ceiling at this point in the Magic's building process. Until they actually get a guy or two with star ability it won't matter if they have solid perimeter guys or not.

Cotton

Staff member

This guy is going to be fun to watch, too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've watched a lot of Doncic, all the way back to the Euro tournament last summer, he's going to be the best player in the draft, a guy who can change the culture of a team with his passing/vision. He'll be excellent in Dallas for a long time, if he wasn't going to be in Chicago I'm glad he ended up in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've watched a lot of Doncic, all the way back to the Euro tournament last summer, he's going to be the best player in the draft, a guy who can change the culture of a team with his passing/vision. He'll be excellent in Dallas for a long time, if he wasn't going to be in Chicago I'm glad he ended up in Dallas.
Euro players near the top of the NBA draft are terrifying. Just such a bad track record. I really hope this guy changes that. He certainly appears to be different.

Top Bottom