NBA Chatter Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Simmons may be rookie of the year, but Markkanen is the runner up.
Mitchell is the runner-up, Markkanen could arguably be as low as 4th behind Tatum as well, although long term I think I'd take Markkanen over Tatum.

It's a crazy rookie class though and all four of them are future All Star types.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No way is Markkanen behind Tatum in my book. Mitchell has better stats but Markkanen is clearly the higher upside player IMO.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No way is Markkanen behind Tatum in my book. Mitchell has better stats but Markkanen is clearly the higher upside player IMO.
Perhaps but that doesn't change the fact that Mitchell is definitely number 2 as far as ROY goes.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Perhaps but that doesn't change the fact that Mitchell is definitely number 2 as far as ROY goes.
I don't see how that's even up for debate. Mitchell has a ton of signature moments throughout the year. I don't think anyone outside of Chicago can point to a single smoment of Markkanen's rookie year.

Hell, I can't and I follow the NBA very closely.

1bigfan13

Staff member
OKC took care of business. Paul George went crazy from 3 point range.

They're not a good jump shooting team bu tonight the shots were falling. I suspect they'll come down to earth in the next game or two and will have to rely on getting points in the paint, which will be a huge challenge with Gobert protecting the rim.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am seriously thinking Philly may have a run to the finals in them. We got the first round draw I wanted...I respect the Heat, but talent wise they are not the same as Mil, Indy, and Was. It is not going to be easy, but not unrealistic.

Bos is not what they will be, Cle is inconsistent, and Tor is good...not great. Indy is good though...love that team.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I am seriously thinking Philly may have a run to the finals in them. We got the first round draw I wanted...I respect the Heat, but talent wise they are not the same as Mil, Indy, and Was. It is not going to be easy, but not unrealistic.

Bos is not what they will be, Cle is inconsistent, and Tor is good...not great. Indy is good though...love that team.
The East is looking like it's going to be wide open. I'm rooting for anyone but Cleveland to make it to the Finals. I can't stomach another Warriors-Cavs Finals.

That said, I still think Cleveland is the favorite to come out of the East. It's hard to bet against Lebron.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The East is looking like it's going to be wide open. I'm rooting for anyone but Cleveland to make it to the Finals. I can't stomach another Warriors-Cavs Finals.

That said, I still think Cleveland is the favorite to come out of the East. It's hard to bet against Lebron.
Yeah...hard to pick against Lebron. I do think the Cavs are more vulnerable than ever though. It would be great to see a 7 gamer with Lebron vs Simmons. I love me some Embiid, but Simmons is playing with an aggressive edge that is energizing the team. Love to see a young guy play with mature fire.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yeah...hard to pick against Lebron. I do think the Cavs are more vulnerable than ever though. It would be great to see a 7 gamer with Lebron vs Simmons. I love me some Embiid, but Simmons is playing with an aggressive edge that is energizing the team. Love to see a young guy play with mature fire.
For me it comes down to what Scott Van Pelt likes to say, "How good is your good?"

Lebron's "good" is SUSTAINED 35+ ppg, 12 reb, 12 ast performances in playoff series. We've seen him do it in the Finals against an all-time great team.

That's why I still have to give him the edge. I don't think Embiid and Simmons are capable of playing at that high of a level over a 7 game series. We'll see. I'd love to see the matchup though.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
For me it comes down to what Scott Van Pelt like to say, "How good is your good?"

Lebron's "good" is SUSTAINED 35+ ppg, 12 reb, 12 ast performances in playoff series. We've seen him do it in the Finals against an all-time great team.

That's why I still have to give him the edge. I don't think Embiid and Simmons are capable of playing at that high of a level over a 7 game series. We'll see. I'd love to see the matchup though.
The key to the Sixers success in the playoffs with be Covington and Saric. I am counting on production from Embiid, Simmons, and JJ, but there always is a periphery guy who comes up big. Iggy with GS, Dellavedova with Cle...shit like that, can propel a team. I think it will be Covington, with his 3 and D, that will come up big.

Also...shout out to Fultz...whatever was going on with him, not sure, but the response from his teamates and fans shows me they know he was working hard to figure stuff out

1bigfan13

Staff member
The Milwaukee Bucks are so damn frustrating. To a lesser degree they kind of remind me of the 2012-2015 Clippers. Loads of talent but they just don't have the mental makeup to fully take advantage of said talent.

I still think the Bucks are the more talented team. They are just being outworked on the court and Brad Stevens is coaching circles around Joe Prunty.

Before they break this group up I'd like to see them give it a try with another HC. Jason Kidd's always been underwhelming as a HC. He's basically the Jason Garrett of the NBA....even that comparison may be giving him too much credit. He was handed the job with absolutely no coaching experience and the results have shown. I don't know much about Prunty but from what I've seen he's no better than Kidd.

That "I don't know who Rozier is" comment by Eric Bledsoe was so petty and childish. Newsflash, Eric. Rozier was the getting lighting your ass up for 48 minutes last night.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Watching the Celtics post-Kyrie injury.....am I the only one getting a 2004-2005 Pistons vibe from this group? They're a team led by 1 or 2 borderline All-Stars. No real superstar on the team. Great coaching. The team scraps and plays hard.

I've really been impressed by the development of Rozier and Brown. Tatum and Brown developing into a good players was practically a given, but Rozier taking a huge step forward has kind of come out of nowhere.

Barring a rash of injuries, the Celtics should be the class of the Eastern Conference over the next 2-5 years. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this group looks with a healthy Kyrie and Heyward. 60 wins next year isn't out of the question.

D

Deuce

Watching the Celtics post-Kyrie injury.....am I the only one getting a 2004-2005 Pistons vibe from this group? They're a team led by 1 or 2 borderline All-Stars. No real superstar on the team. Great coaching. The team scraps and plays hard.

I've really been impressed by the development of Rozier and Brown. Tatum and Brown developing into a good players was practically a given, but Rozier taking a huge step forward has kind of come out of nowhere.

Barring a rash of injuries, the Celtics should be the class of the Eastern Conference over the next 2-5 years. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this group looks with a healthy Kyrie and Heyward. 60 wins next year isn't out of the question.
Why must you tease me so?

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You are forgetting about the Sixers.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You are forgetting about the Sixers.
You're right.

Barring injuries it should be a two team race in the Eastern Conference between those two teams over the next 5 years.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I did not see New Orleans handling the Blazers as easily as they have. This looks like a 1 vs 8 matchup.

This is good news for my Thunder. Portland is a team who we just don't matchup well against. They've had our number the last few years. They've won something like 7 of the last 8 games vs OKC.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I did not see New Orleans handling the Blazers as easily as they have. This looks like a 1 vs 8 matchup.

This is good news for my Thunder. Portland is a team who we just don't matchup well against. They've had our number the last few years. They've won something like 7 of the last 8 games vs OKC.
The winner of that series plays Golden State as far as I can tell.

I also think Utah is going to beat OKC, it'll be close either way.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smitty, let's get your top 6 for the Bulls.

I'm going:

1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Jackson Jr.
4. Bagley
5. Bamba
6. Bridges

Porter is the obvious omission but I just don't know what to think of him given the back injury and the fact that he showed basically nothing in the 2 or 3 college games he played, although obviously he wasn't 100%. I'm not sure what to do with Young, he's the ultimate boom/bust prospect and Dunn might actually be a legit starting PG but obviously you can't be certain of that.

Top Bottom