NBA Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
As an aside...IT, even if 100% healthy, is a guy I don't want on my team. He a little bitch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
LeBron definitely isn't staying but I still think they're about even money to make the Finals.

Boston and Toronto just feel like regular season teams who won't have enough in the playoffs. If Cleveland is healthy and has any semblance of chemistry I can't imagine LeBron+Love and a decent group of role players losing a 7 game series against either of them.

Now, if they're as dysfunctional as they've been the last month or so and are sniping at each other then all bets are off.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The guy is going to be a scorer in this league...he can create shots. He has the benefit of playing for an excellent coach in Krueger and will certainly need a coach that can harness him.
As a Sooners fan, I actually think Kruger has done a sub par job managing Young.

He's a great shooter like Curry but his shot selection has been absolutely horrible for most of the year and Kruger doesn't seem to care at all. It's as if he's just happy to have landed a 5 star recruit so he turns the other way and ignores Young's bad habits.

There are too many times were Young comes down court and launches 30+ foot shots early in the shot clock.

Hopefully once he reaches the NBA he'll receive proper coaching because I do think he has the potential to be one of the league's best deep shooters. He just needs a coach who will hold him accountable.

Cotton

Staff member

Wow.

Cotton

Staff member
He's right but tanking should have nothing to do with the players.
Of course he's right, but I don't think I have ever seen an owner publicly call for it.... to the players, especially.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
This is just not a good day for Cuban. :lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm watching highlights from last night's Lakers-Pelicans game and I'm amazed at how poorly Lonzo Ball shoots the ball. He was actually a respectable shooter in college. Not great, but not horrible. As a pro he's been a sub par shooter since day 1.

Lakers management has to be kicking themselves for buying into the hype of slick-talking Lavar Ball.

I think he will eventually carve out a decent career for himself, but you can't justify taking a backcourt player who can't shoot in the top 5 of a draft. In hindsight he's more of a late 1st round pick kind of talent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Ball's college shooting percentage was fine but there were people questioning whether it translates to the pros because his shot is weird and slow. So yeah I think the Lakers fell for the hype a little.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Ball's college shooting percentage was fine but there were people questioning whether it translates to the pros because his shot is weird and slow. So yeah I think the Lakers fell for the hype a little.
I can understand his FG% taking a dip because the competition is better and it's harder to get a shot off with that weird shooting motion of his, but even his FT% is down. He's shooting somewhere around 45% from the FT line as a pro. Whereas in college he was hitting FTs around the 70% mark.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Lonzo Ball is trash just like his daddeh.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I can understand his FG% taking a dip because the competition is better and it's harder to get a shot off with that weird shooting motion of his, but even his FT% is down. He's shooting somewhere around 45% from the FT line as a pro. Whereas in college he was hitting FTs around the 70% mark.
True that shouldn't affect his FT shooting I wouldn't think.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know if I agree that LaVar Ball is trash.

He's certainly annoying.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He is an extreme attention whore. AKA trash.
He's definitely that.

However I think he is playing a calculated game of chess not checkers.

It may all backfire, but I think he's taking the risk knowingly and willingly. He's gambling his oldest son's second contract on turning millions into billions.

That being said, I understand the risk/reward. I mean, even if he make everyone wary of Lonzo and giving him a max deal, there is no real outcome that would prevent Lonzo from not having at least a second contract in the NBA. Even if he's a 10ppg player only, he has enough buzz around him for another contract at age, what 23 or 24? Someone will give him $30 million, $50 million, whatever.

He may also be destroying his younger son's values (though neither of them are as good as Lonzo). But with Lonzo on board and subsidizing this risk with his own guaranteed rookie contract of $33 million, and a second contract pretty much in the bag (again, teams will take risks on a player of his caliber all day long) at another $30 million or so, that's a lot of house money.

He's gambling that max contract of $200 million to try to turn Lonzo and his brothers into a brand for BILLIONS. Sure, he's a loud mouthed attention whore, but he knows that's how to get people interested and buying. Look at Donald Trump. That's how society works these days.

When you have probably $60 million to fall back on, I think a gamble of $200 million for $2 billion in an interesting idea.

That's definitely what he's doing. He's also drawing all the attention but his sons are also gonna benefit tremendously if it works out.

I mean, I can't hate him. He's a father who is interested in promoting his sons for their financial well being. He could be a lot worse of a person.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Philly is nice right now. Young, but not soft...feel good about at least a series win.

Top Bottom