NBA Chatter Thread

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Hopes high after coming back from 3-0, play on your home court, and shit all over themselves. Beautiful.
Ya, I guess they could have always been a team with a league MVP and still be a 2nd round cap team like the one in Philly. Great process they have going on over there.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
In the end Boston's stupidity did them in. The Heat built that big lead and never gave it up because the Celtics were too stubborn to try something else besides drive and kick 3-pointers.

They started off shooting something like 3-25 from 3-point range before they finally heated up just a little in the 2nd half, but by then Miami had already built a nice cushion thanks to all those Boston bricks.

I don't understand why some of these teams hate taking mid-range jumpers. When the Heat went into a zone defense Horford passed up at least wide 8 WIDE open 10-15 foot jumpers from the paint area. Instead of catching and shooting he'd either dribble himself into trouble or kick it out to a teammate for a 3-point attempt that they'd brick. He wasn't the only Celtic passing up good looks from mid-range. It was if they all took a blood oath to avoid mid-range shots at all costs.

If they'd have taken those easier shots instead of settling for threes, the Heat probably don't build that massive 1st half lead.

In the end I'm glad the Heat won because I hate seeing incompetence be rewarded.
To be honest, Tatum, Brown and Horford are the only players with a mid-range game. Tatum was toast after he rolled his ankle and Brown couldn't help but be the bumbling idiot we saw in last year's finals. Guys like Smart, White, Williams are all spot up shooters and slashers. Brown does a nice job working the mid-range usually, but as I alluded to in a previous post, he tends to start well and then lose steam in games. Same thing happened last night and then he started to press and just turn it over completely.

Their biggest problem is the coach needs to shut them down when the 3's aren't falling. But Mazzulla won't do that. He encourages it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Their biggest problem is the coach needs to shut them down when the 3's aren't falling. But Mazzulla won't do that. He encourages it.
Most coaches now are just extensions of the front office. If the front office wants to play the analytics, the coach is going to obey that.

Most GMs get this straight during the hiring process. They want coaches who either take orders well or believe in the analytics movement themselves (or both).

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Most coaches now are just extensions of the front office. If the front office wants to play the analytics, the coach is going to obey that.

Most GMs get this straight during the hiring process. They want coaches who either take orders well or believe in the analytics movement themselves (or both).
This goes beyond that. Brad Stevens does some analytics, but he's also an X's and O's guy. He brought in Ime who was supposed to be a clone of him once he got his feet wet, but he f'd that up by thinking with his dick. Mazzulla was his protégé who was supposed to be ready for this spot in 3 or 4 years, but Ime expedited the whole thing. Mazzulla knows they have shooters and what they do well. Play defense, shoot 3's, push the pace. It's their recipe for success and why they were the best team in basketball for the first half of the year and why they won 50+ games again. It's not like this strategy is some failed experiment based on 2 bad games in the span of a week. The larger sample size proves it works....when they shoot right. The team shot the 3 a whole 10% worse for the series than their season average. That broke their offense.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
PHILADELPHIA – JUNE 1, 2023 – Philadelphia 76ers President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey announced today that Nick Nurse has been named the team’s head coach. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Nurse, the 26th head coach in franchise history, joins Philadelphia after spending five seasons with Toronto (2018-23). The Carroll, Iowa native guided the Raptors to an NBA Championship in his first season as head coach in 2019, becoming the ninth person in NBA history to claim a title in his first year as an NBA head coach.

Went from a Doc to a Nurse.

:unsure

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
PHILADELPHIA – JUNE 1, 2023 – Philadelphia 76ers President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey announced today that Nick Nurse has been named the team’s head coach. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Nurse, the 26th head coach in franchise history, joins Philadelphia after spending five seasons with Toronto (2018-23). The Carroll, Iowa native guided the Raptors to an NBA Championship in his first season as head coach in 2019, becoming the ninth person in NBA history to claim a title in his first year as an NBA head coach.

Went from a Doc to a Nurse.

:unsure
:drums

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Last night Martin went 1-7, Strus went 0-10 and Robinson went 1-6.

F those guys for having the best 2 weeks of their lives during the only 2 weeks that matter to me and then turning back into their shitty selves immediately after.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Last night Martin went 1-7, Strus went 0-10 and Robinson went 1-6.

F those guys for having the best 2 weeks of their lives during the only 2 weeks that matter to me and then turning back into their shitty selves immediately after.
Miami missed a ton of wide open threes that they've been hitting all postseason.

But I also give credit to the Nuggets for doing what the Celtics refused to do......take advantage of their size advantage and not just settle for threes.

Denver only shot 29% from three point range but they only took 27 threes. If that were Boston they'd have shot 29% on 50+ three-point shots.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Miami missed a ton of wide open threes that they've been hitting all postseason.

But I also give credit to the Nuggets for doing what the Celtics refused to do......take advantage of their size advantage and not just settle for threes.

Denver only shot 29% from three point range but they only took 27 threes. If that were Boston they'd have shot 29% on 50+ three-point shots.
Yea Miami will shoot better but I think the energy they have to expend defensively to chase all of Denver's complex actions/movement may put a dent in their shooting as well. Boston on the other hand is extremely stagnant and predictable offensively, so that's something to consider.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Not a huge NBA fan, but it is entertaining watching the Jokic haters in the media spin themselves into the ground. Especially Nick Wright.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Exactly.

That game 6 that the Celtics won at the buzzer was a prime example of this.

Miami wasn't shooting well in the second half of that game and the Celtics should have won that game by double digit points.

But because they would take every Miami miss and run back down the court to take a 3 with 19 seconds on the shot clock, they essentially were keeping Miami in the game.

I have no doubt they would have done the same dumb shit the other night.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not a huge NBA fan, but it is entertaining watching the Jokic haters in the media spin themselves into the ground. Especially Nick Wright.
Jokic haters?

I don't know who Nick wright is but you're crazy if you think the vast vast majority of media doesn't suck jokic off daily.

He's two time MVP for Christ's sake. That's voted on by the media.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Jokic haters?

I don't know who Nick wright is but you're crazy if you think the vast vast majority of media doesn't suck jokic off daily.

He's two time MVP for Christ's sake. That's voted on by the media.
I think the “Jokic haters” thing is happening now cause he was probably deserved to win the MVP again but voters down voted him purposefully cause of his lack of post season success. One voter didn’t even list him in the top 5 for voting. It was ridiculous.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
but voters down voted him purposefully cause of his lack of post season success.

And by the way, this is not true at all. Jokic tanked down the stretch of the regular season and Embiid went off.

To wit (paraphrased from a reddit post but these are the facts):

Jokic was actually in the lead much of the season. In early March the odds shifted slightly to Embiids favor at -110 but it was because the sixers went on an 8 game win streak at the same time the Nuggets went on a 4 game losing streak. The odds were still close up until April 4th Embiid was only at -150. That night Embiid lead the Sixers to a win against the Celtics on national tv with 52/6/13 and the Nuggets lost to the rockets by 21 and jokic went 14/10/4 with 8 turn overs. The next day the odds for Embiid MVP went to -750.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm picking up that Jokic is the Josh Allen of the NBA...

Top Bottom