NBA Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lottery needs to go.

The whole idea was to stop teams from tanking and they do it anyway.

Let the worst team get the best pick like it should be.
I hate the lottery.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Lottery needs to go.

The whole idea was to stop teams from tanking and they do it anyway.

Let the worst team get the best pick like it should be.
Yeah it seems like all it's done is prolong tanking. Because if a team doesn't land the #1 pick all they do is keep tanking until they finally land the #1 or #2 pick. That could easily take 4 or 5 seasons.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm just curious how much of that is Doc not having a system and how much if it is having Harden and Embiid and not wanting to catch blame if the offense doesn't flow through them at all times. Harden specifically isn't the type of guy who is running plays. He wants iso or pick and roll every time.

It's Glenn. He should have been fired after the Atlanta series a couple years ago.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I agree, but why fix it for the Spurs? They aren't some massive market, Wemby isn't some hometown hero like Lebron was to Cleveland and they aren't too far removed from their glory years. I would have rather seen him end up in Charlotte and see what Lamelo could do with him.
The team that Wemby played for is owned by Tony Parker.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree, but why fix it for the Spurs? They aren't some massive market, Wemby isn't some hometown hero like Lebron was to Cleveland and they aren't too far removed from their glory years. I would have rather seen him end up in Charlotte and see what Lamelo could do with him.
You have it backwards buddy, the league knows marquee franchises in popular cities will thrive to an extent, they want to guard against the small markets, particularly those with strong fanbases and plenty of history like the Spurs, from falling into irrelevance.

Throw in the fact that the Spurs never really blatantly tanked over the years like so many franchises and that they have one of the best coaches of all time plus one of the best organizations overall and it's the perfect spot for one of the best prospects in the last 20 years.

My buddies and I have been hypothesizing for at least 6 months that the Spurs would be the most likely team to win the lottery given all of these factors.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These were my fixed lottery rankings for 2023, an annual tradition unlike any other:

1. San Antonio – we’ve already discussed this, if they don’t finish top 2 I’m forever out on the fixed lottery
2. Portland – whatever the opposite of tanking is, that’s what they’ve been doing, small market and lots of history with a roster that could be very competitive with Lillard and a top 3 pick
3. Utah – one of the most popular small markets, rabid fans, stars don’t want to play there but Ainge can turn them into a contender with picks
4. Charlotte – GOAT might sell the team, let’s boost that sale price
5. Indiana – another small market with rabid fans and no recent blatant tanking or lottery luck
6. OKC – why not create a potential monster in a small market with a great young core that is arguably the least preferable location for stars in the league?
7. Chicago – also the opposite of tanking, massive market, story writes itself
8. Detroit – just had the 1 two years ago but haven’t had much luck other than that, another small market with a large fanbase, solid option in the 3-5 range
9. Orlando – just had the 1 last year but have a decent young core and in a small market, no chance at 1-3, maybe 4-6
10. Washington – nobody cares about this team, including the league and fans, but maybe they get thrown a bone with the 4th pick?
11. Houston – too many high picks lately, fend for yourself and try to win some games
12. Toronto – always competitive and a popular small market but Toronto doesn’t move the needle
13. Dallas – shit show and everybody hates Kyrie, league doesn’t care whether Doncic stays or goes
14. New Orleans – fixed for Zion, they’re out until at least 2026

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

While I agree with what he is saying I just find it funny that Charles is saying this. I remember when he was playing his big thing was "we are not role models".

1bigfan13

Staff member
The 76ers should have kept Jimmy Butler. He's exactly the kind of dog they need.

Minnesota should've never let him go either. They chose to side with the fragile young egos of KAT & Wiggins.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Bulls drafted Butler in 2011 and largely developed him into what he is today, you could argue the Rose injury in 2012 forever changed the arc of NBA history.

What does a never injured, fully formed Rose throughout the 2010's with Butler as his sidekick coached by Thibodeau look like?

They would've likely been right there with the Warriors and LeBron might only have accomplished about half of what he has in terms of Finals appearances and titles.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You're welcome. Some guys just need a little push.
I guess he needed a big push because he went right back to being inconsistent in this series.

From taking zero shots in the 4th in game 1 to 14 points last night.

His inconsistency in the playoffs really hurts that team.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I guess he needed a big push because he went right back to being inconsitent in this series.

I tried to tell @Prodigal_Son this but he refused to take off those homer shades.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I tried to tell @Prodigal_Son this but he refused to talk off those homer shades.
It's got to be frustrating because he has elite ability and elite talent, but he doesn't always play like an elite player and that just can't happen from a guy who is supposed to be the franchise player.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
I guess he needed a big push because he went right back to being inconsistent in this series.

This series has been one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Boston blew leads all season, so games 1 and 2 didn't come so much as a shock. Just frustration that it continues to haunt them. Tatum played exceptional in both games. Game 1, he just didn't demand the ball in the 4th which limited his shots and I truly don't understand why cause I've never seen him so passive. Game 2, they doubled him a lot so it was more trying to get everyone else involved and that backfired. Game 3 was just a shit show all around.

Despite all that, I would also not be surprised to see the Celtics be the first ever team to come back from 3-0 to win it. Fact is, they are more talented and the Heat are playing out their minds. Their 3 point shooting was among the league worst all season, now all the sudden every scrub on their bench can hit them consistently. Conversely, an exceptional shooting team all season can't hit anything and on top of that, they are a top 5 defense who can't seem to defend anyone. At some point, both tides will change for good. If that change happens in game 4 and both these teams start to play like they showed for 6 months, it's Celtics/Nuggets.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Despite all that, I would also not be surprised to see the Celtics be the first ever team to come back from 3-0 to win it. Fact is, they are more talented and the Heat are playing out their minds. Their 3 point shooting was among the league worst all season, now all the sudden every scrub on their bench can hit them consistently. Conversely, an exceptional shooting team all season can't hit anything and on top of that, they are a top 5 defense who can't seem to defend anyone. At some point, both tides will change for good. If that change happens in game 4 and both these teams start to play like they showed for 6 months, it's Celtics/Nuggets.
I think that's wishful thinking, buddy.

The team I saw last night looked like it didn't want to be there and it would be one of the most shocking turnarounds in sports history to see that same team, on the road, do a complete 180 from a mental standpoint.

I hate to say it, but I think they're finished and mentally cooked.

Last edited:

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
I think that's wishful thinking, buddy.

The team I saw last night looked like it didn't want to be there and it would be one of the most shocking turnarounds in sports history to see that same team, on the road, do a complete 180 from a mental standpoint.

I hate to say it, but I think they're finished and mentally cooked.
It's definitely wishful thinking...especially with how they presented in Game 3. But the talent is there to do it and if it's ever going to happen in NBA history, this would be a series that I can see it actually happening. Big if's with how they've played the last 3 games, but IF the Heat start shooting based on their norm and IF the Celtics start shooting based on their norms, the Celtics could easily win 4 straight.

Now it's just a case of are they mentally tough to battle through that. If this were their first playoff test ever, hell no. I could see them fold easily in game 4. But this core has been around the block more than a few times and their record in elimination games is fantastic. Coming back from 3-2 deficits multiple times, including last series with Philly. They don't typically fold in these situations. If they do fold and look as bad as game 3, I think it's a bigger reflection on Mazzulla more than anything.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Now it's just a case of are they mentally tough to battle through that. If this were their first playoff test ever, hell no. I could see them fold easily in game 4.
Based on what we all saw in game 3, I'm leaning towards them folding in game 4. Particularly if Miami gets off to a fast start and builds a double digit lead in the 1st qtr.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
Based on what we all saw in game 3, I'm leaning towards them folding in game 4. Particularly if Miami gets off to a fast start and builds a double digit lead in the 1st qtr.
Here's what I know....the Heat need to win tonight. Cause if they lose, their momentum will start to slip and the role players who are playing loose and feeling themselves right now will start to tighten up as they go back to Boston. Then a win there tightens the series heading back to Miami and those same role players will be pressing. Then all the sudden we go back to Boston for Game 7 where not only do they have home court, but you have close out game Tatum to deal with.

Far fetched? Maybe. But I'm playing the odds that guys like Caleb Martin aren't going to play the greatest 4 games of their NBA careers at the exact same time guys like Horford, Jaylen Brown and others play their absolute worst.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Here's what I know....the Heat need to win tonight. Cause if they lose, their momentum will start to slip and the role players who are playing loose and feeling themselves right now will start to tighten up as they go back to Boston. Then a win there tightens the series heading back to Miami and those same role players will be pressing. Then all the sudden we go back to Boston for Game 7 where not only do they have home court, but you have close out game Tatum to deal with.

Far fetched? Maybe. But I'm playing the odds that guys like Caleb Martin aren't going to play the greatest 4 games of their NBA careers at the exact same time guys like Horford, Jaylen Brown and others play their absolute worst.
Milwaukee fans were probably making similar rationalizations. At some point you have to just accept that what you're seeing in front of you is reality.

Top Bottom