NBA Chatter Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
As Iamtdg mentioned, as part of a trade the Mavs pick is top 10 protected. If they made the play-in that would have dropped their draft pick to 11 or lower and the pick would 've went to the Knicks.
Wonder what Luka thinks of this. Or Kyrie, if he even cares that much.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Maybe I read wrong. Is it a top 10 protected pick or the #10 protected pick? Could it turn into an even higher pick? I'm not all that familiar with how the NBA draft works.
If the Mavs end up with a pick between 1-10, they keep it. If their pick is between 11-30, it will go to the Knicks.

As you know the NBA uses a lottery so the draft order won't be set for another month. There's a slight chance the Mavs do well in the lottery and end up with a top 5 pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If the Mavs end up with a pick between 1-10, they keep it. If their pick is between 11-30, it will go to the Knicks.

As you know the NBA uses a lottery so the draft order won't be set for another month. There's a slight chance the Mavs do well in the lottery and end up with a top 5 pick.
So, they tanked on the "chance" they could have a top 10 pick? If so that pisses me off. I thought if they didn't make the playoffs they were guaranteed a #10 pick.

1bigfan13

Staff member
So, they tanked on the "chance" they could have a top 10 pick? If so that pisses me off. I thought if they didn't make the playoffs they were guaranteed a #10 pick.
Yep there's still a chance they finish with a pick between 11-14.

Right now they're 10th. But the 4 teams who don't make the "real" playoffs (the play-in losers) will drop into the lottery as well.

So that makes 14 teams in the lottery.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep there's still a chance they finish with a pick between 11-14.

Right now they're 10th. But the 4 teams who don't make the "real" playoffs (the play-in losers) will drop into the lottery as well.

So that makes 14 teams in the lottery.
Ahh, that makes sense.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The Rockets will probably lose the #1 pick as well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Finally someone other than the Sixers are going to get in trouble for tanking.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Finally someone other than the Sixers are going to get in trouble for tanking.
It's selective outrage by the NBA.

Every team manipulates the injury report rules in order to justify resting players or tanking. The NBA's anti-load management/tanking enforcement is a complete joke. All you have to do is throw an "injury management or back tightness" onto the report to buy your players the time off. Lillard's been listed as "injury management" for a phantom injury for almost a month.

The Mavs' problem is Kidd actually said out loud what everyone already knew.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Kidd is a total wanker, but I don't blame him for what he said. The order came from above and he admitted it. Was he supposed to fall on the sword and blatantly lie, especially when he's probably about to get fired anyway?

It was so blatantly obvious to everyone what was happening, I'm not sure what he was supposed to say.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Kidd is a total wanker, but I don't blame him for what he said. The order came from above and he admitted it. Was he supposed to fall on the sword and blatantly lie, especially when he's probably about to get fired anyway?

It was so blatantly obvious to everyone what was happening, I'm not sure what he was supposed to say.

If he's about to get fired that might be different. But I was under the impression that he's coming back?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If he's about to get fired that might be different. But I was under the impression that he's coming back?
I'm not sure either, I've just heard some scattered talk on the Ticket that the last few weeks of the season collapsed so badly that there's a good chance he's gone. He's also made some strange comments at other PCs in that time, basically admitting he's almost throwing his hands up and doesn't know how to get the team to respond because he's tried everything.

I for one have no idea why this guy would be hired by anyone... except Cuban loves him for his role in the Dirk championship. Which is absurd, but Cuban always gets away with this stuff.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not sure either, I've just heard some scattered talk on the Ticket that the last few weeks of the season collapsed so badly that there's a good chance he's gone. He's also made some strange comments at other PCs in that time, basically admitting he's almost throwing his hands up and doesn't know how to get the team to respond because he's tried everything.

I for one have no idea why this guy would be hired by anyone... except Cuban loves him for his role in the Dirk championship. Which is absurd, but Cuban always gets away with this stuff.
Two of the owners of my teams are Cuban and Jerry. Yeah...

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, I bet Kidd is back again next year.

Top Bottom