NBA Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Oh, eat shit. You guys won the championship what, 7... 8 years ago? And contended for a bit afterwards.

Try being a Sixers fan. Then we'll talk stuck in purgatory.
11 years ago.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yes, the Mavs beat the Heat in Lebron's first year in Miami, it was quite glorious.

As opposed to when they lost to the Wade/Shaq Heat in the Finals in the mid-2000's.

Cotton

Staff member
I looked it up. They won it in 2011. 8 years ago. You should have known this, fake fan.

But even if it was 11 years ago, that is a far cry from 1983.
That's where I got the 11 from, I guess.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Oh, eat shit. You guys won the championship what, 7... 8 years ago? And contended for a bit afterwards.

Try being a Sixers fan. Then we'll talk stuck in purgatory.
Or a Bulls fan the last twenty years.

Yeah, the Mavs are really quite fortunate and quite successful. If you aren't the Lakers or Celtics with tradition, if you didn't have the greatest player in history (Michael Jordan) on the Bulls, or if you don't catch lighting in a bottle by luckily drafting or sneakily colluding your way to a Super Team like Miami, Cleveland, and Golden State, then the Mavs are probably only really second to the Spurs as a model franchise in the last decade or two. The Mavs competed every year with Dirk, got to a finals, and then won a finals. They are the epitome of what the NBA SHOULD HAVE BEEN this past decade: One star, grinding away, trying to get the right pieces around him through CONVENTIONAL player acquisition means, until finally breaking through; but then every year, you are competing and going on playoff runs. As opposed to getting frustrated after a couple playoff runs, throwing your jersey on the floor, and then bolting to Miami with two other stars to make it easier on yourself.

Now that Dirk was old that time ended, they hit a skid, but then they clearly were doing it right in their rebuild by trading up for Doncic. Now they've actually hit on another shrewd trade; what's not to love? You Mavs fans spent about the minimum time in the basement as possible; and now you are gonna be right back in the thick of it for the next decade.

They are excellently run. That doesn't mean you'll never go through a 3-4 year period of sucking.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I did read an interesting take, though: The max player contract in the NBA needs to go. There can still be a salary cap -- soft, or otherwise -- but the Max Contract needs to go for sure. The writer who penned the opinion article said, "When LeBron James and Steph Curry can essentially only make the same amount of money as Otto Porter, Al Horford, Paul Millsap, and Jrue Holiday, there really is no incentive for them NOT to team up like they do."

He's 100% right. Lebron can only command up to a certain amount, and it's based on his years of service, because that's the rules. Chris Bosh can only get the same amount.

So when the Heat have $75 million in cap space, they can offer Wade, Lebron, and Bosh $25 million per year each. Yeah, maybe Lebron took a paycut from the $30m he coulda got by staying in Cleveland, but big deal. Same with Bosh.

But you are telling me, if the Bulls, who also had $75m in cap space that year, come along and say, "Hey, Chris Bosh. Don't sign in Miami for $25m a year. Come here to Chicago for $50m a year," that Bosh says no to that? No way. He only chose Miami because he would have made the same $30 mil in Chicago as he essentially was gonna make in Miami. Might as well team up with Lebron then!

Max player contracts need to go, to fix the NBA.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, a year or so ago I said the same thing about max contracts. That's one of the best ways to put an end to this nonsense and I think it will lead to a very interesting, naturally-occurring dichotomy where some teams will go all-in on 1 or 2 top 5-10 players surrounded by trash, others will build more balanced teams around maybe 3-5 top 25-50 players with maybe 1 top 10-15 player, while there will be others who choose to go with a very deep roster of 6-8 top 75-100 players with maybe 2-3 top 50 players.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I may have to become a Mavs fan.

For fucks sake. They are lapping the Bulls.

Kristaps Porzingis to the Mavs for nothing. Dennis Smith, DeAndre Jordan, Wesley Matthews. Mavs have to take back 2 bad contracts..... bfd.

The Mavs are gonna run the Western conference in the next few years as the Warriors fizzle out.

Doncic/Porzingis/Barnes is a sick trio.
Dude, Luca is fun as hell to watch. The Guy sometimes seems Dirk awkward, and as he is seeming Dirk Awkward, he's dribbling past people and floating a layup. Then shoots 3s similar to Curry. Absolute must watch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've watched quite a bit of Doncic, basically for about a year prior to the 2018 draft since I knew the Bulls would be tanking, and there's a reason he was the guy I wanted them to trade up for. I can't ever fully switch allegiances but I do have a great respect for how the Mavs are run (especially compared to the dumpster fire that is the Bulls), obviously I love Doncic, I'm often in Dallas due to my wife/inlaws being from there, and I'll always cherish the way Dirk/Kidd/Terry fucked over LeBron in his first year in Miami.

Put all that together and perhaps I'm something of a Mavs fan.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Mavs would be my second team. I'll pull for them moderately, when they are not in direct competition with the Bulls.

Cotton

Staff member
I deleted a post that wasn't my own for the first time since I became a mod. Do not bring political crap into a sports forum.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I deleted a post that wasn't my own for the first time since I became a mod. Do not bring political crap into a sports forum.
It was written by Kyle Korver, dipshit and was relevant to the NBA. Just because it doesn't fit your narrow political views of this conservative echo chamber it was deleted. Sorry.

Cotton

Staff member
It was written by Kyle Korver, dipshit and was relevant to the NBA. Just because it doesn't fit your narrow political views of this conservative echo chamber it was deleted. Sorry.
It was political and did not belong in this thread regardless of what words were used in it. I would have deleted a conservative article as well if it was ever posted in a sports forum.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
A little surprised the sixers won without Embiid. Especially that the game wasn't particularly close. Simmons was a man possessed.

As an aside, Greg Monroe SUCKS.

Top Bottom