NBA Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

They had the fourth best regular season record. That's one of the best.

Melo would already be walking into a better team around him than he's had, as his Denver teams WITH him usually got bounced early and the Knicks have been flat out bad. Part of it is the system that Thibs has has well.

Even if Melo doesn't come to Chicago, they're still gonna be a top 3 team in the East next year, as long as Rose doesn't get injured again, and probably headed for a Conference Finals showdown with Miami.
There is no showdown. If Chicago doesn't improve their team and Miami stays healthy, Miami disposes of Chicago quickly. Like 5 games quick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is no showdown. If Chicago doesn't improve their team and Miami stays healthy, Miami disposes of Chicago quickly. Like 5 games quick.
I'm talking about if Rose returns. Miami would dispose of Chicago in 5 right NOW, but Chicago is going to be much better next year. They're also bringing over Mirotic and have two first round picks at 16 and 19 in which they probably land two more Jimmy Butler type contributors, they have a history of being able to find those types of guys in the draft and this draft is stacked.

I'm guessing they'll draft at worst 1 "three and D" type, and probably one big man. An optimal scenario would be Nick Stauskas or Rodney Hood, worst case would be PJ Hairston. Any of those players turning into a quicker-developing Danny Green gives the Bulls a huge boost because outside shooting is their Achilles Heel and the reason they aren't an elite team. I could see them grabbing 2 shooters but I suspect they'll use their other first on a big man, maybe a Mitch McGary role player type as well.

On top of that, they'll also have about $15 million in cap space after amnestying Boozer (if they can deal Dunleavy, they can push that number up to 18 million, which is why signing Melo in free agency outright is a possibility if he takes a paycut). So even if they don't sign Melo.... that's Lance Stephenson, or Pau Gasol, or Jodie Meeks and Nick Young, or any other myriad of combinations of a "bench mob" that they've been missing the past season or two while Rose has been out.

The Bulls are going to be much better next year, with our without Melo. Hell, they're going to be much better next year with or without Rose, given the ammunition they have at their disposal this offseason.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Mavs have a lot of money to spend this offseason.

They've made themselves a bit more attractive in these playoffs as well. Monta was a heck of a deal for us and Dirk has shown that while not a dominating superstar anymore, he is still a good player.

My point is, they are going to go all out for Melo so don't discount them in the running. However, the only way I think they could convince him to join would be if they picked someone else up.

If you put Melo on our team right now, we're a top 5 team in the West.

IMO, I think he goes to Houston and maybe Chicago depending on how confident he feels in Rose's ability to return and contribute.

D

Deuce

Silver just announced that Sterling is banned for life from the Clippers organization and fined $2.5M.

Holy shit. Talk about a smack down. I'm sure the league has an owners morality clause but this is hefty.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you're the Bulls, you have to operate under the assumption that Rose will come back nearly the same as he was. If he's done you're basically rebuilding anyway. I'm not worried about his explosiveness or athleticism, my main concern is how long it will take for him to get used to playing NBA basketball again after 2 years, and of course if he can stay healthy. If you guaranteed me right now that Rose would have no major injuries and play at least 70 games on average during the regular season over the next 5 years, I'd be very confident in saying that he will be back to being a top 5 player during that time.

As for Melo, if I'm him I'd rather gamble on Rose coming back in some capacity rather than go play on a team in the West that has pretty much the exact same strengths and deficiencies that I have. The appeal of the Bulls is that they are weak where Melo is strong and strong where Melo is weak, Houston is the exact opposite.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
SA's Parker Has Ankle Problem For Mavs Game 5

By Mike Fisher
DallasBasketball.com
Posted Apr 29, 2014

The Dallas Mavericks are tied 2-2 in this Round 1 best of-seven series with the Spurs after San Antonio’s victory over the Mavericks in Game 4 on Monday. And they move forward with the assumption Spurs point guard Tony Parker - who was was noticeably limping yesterday -- will be ready for Game 5 on Wednesday.

But Parker "has a Grade 1 [left ankle] sprain and he’ll be day-to-day,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We’ll see how he is tomorrow.”

According to DB.com injury expert Jeff Stotts, Parker has missed a total of 38 NBA games due to various left-ankle-related ailments.

Parker -- arguably an MVP-caliber performer during the regular season -- is averaging 15.5 points and 4.5 assists in the series.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
SA's Parker Has Ankle Problem For Mavs Game 5

By Mike Fisher
DallasBasketball.com
Posted Apr 29, 2014

The Dallas Mavericks are tied 2-2 in this Round 1 best of-seven series with the Spurs after San Antonio’s victory over the Mavericks in Game 4 on Monday. And they move forward with the assumption Spurs point guard Tony Parker - who was was noticeably limping yesterday -- will be ready for Game 5 on Wednesday.

But Parker "has a Grade 1 [left ankle] sprain and he’ll be day-to-day,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We’ll see how he is tomorrow.”

According to DB.com injury expert Jeff Stotts, Parker has missed a total of 38 NBA games due to various left-ankle-related ailments.

Parker -- arguably an MVP-caliber performer during the regular season -- is averaging 15.5 points and 4.5 assists in the series.
:excellent

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I don't how what he did was worth a suspension. It more looked like he was just trying to get up and his feet made contact with the Spurs player's face.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I can't believe Blair got suspended for that half-kick.

The NBA has really gone soft. If you watch the play he kicked at Splitter but sort of caught himself midway through the action. Kinda like pulling a punch.

Unbelievable.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Man, OKC and Memphis are about to head into their 4th straight OT.

Westbrook picked Conley's pocket with about 6 seconds to play and sprinted down court to tie it up.

1bigfan13

Staff member
OKC came within a tenth of a second of pulling off a miracle win.

Carl

RIP Brother
The NBA officiating is as embarrassing as anything Donald Sterling has said. They got Magic his fake 5th ring. Joey Crawford basically single handedly robbed the Celtics of their 18th title. As exciting as it is, it is also boring.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Speaking of Joey Crawford, that SOB literally iced Kevin Durant at the line during a crucial FT late in OT tonight.

OKC was down 1 with 27 seconds to play and Durant was winding up to take his 2nd FT when Crawford rushes in yelling about something on the scoreboard. After he finishes with his rant Durant misses what would have been the game tying FT. OKC goes on to lose by that 1 point margin.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I don't how what he did was worth a suspension. It more looked like he was just trying to get up and his feet made contact with the Spurs player's face.
Damn, that's a big loss.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What a strange playoffs these are.

Indiana is done. Even if by some miracle they manage to come back and win this series, which they won't, does anyone give them any chance at all to beat Miami? The rest of that conference is a joke, so Miami is barely going to break a sweat to get to the Finals.

As for the West? OKC is on the verge of elimination and San Antonio is in for a much tougher fight than they expected. Imagine if somehow they both get eliminated as well.....you might as well just crown Miami the champs now and not even play the rest of the postseason out.

Can anyone else recall a defending champion having an easier road to a championship than this?

1bigfan13

Staff member
What a strange playoffs these are.

Indiana is done. Even if by some miracle they manage to come back and win this series, which they won't, does anyone give them any chance at all to beat Miami? The rest of that conference is a joke, so Miami is barely going to break a sweat to get to the Finals.

As for the West? OKC is on the verge of elimination and San Antonio is in for a much tougher fight than they expected. Imagine if somehow they both get eliminated as well.....you might as well just crown Miami the champs now and not even play the rest of the postseason out.

Can anyone else recall a defending champion having an easier road to a championship than this?
I think I would still take the Clippers over the Heat.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think I would still take the Clippers over the Heat.
Clippers? No way.

Miami will dispatch them in 5.

As you can see, I am not a believe in the Clippers as a serious title contender at all.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Clippers? No way.

Miami will dispatch them in 5.

As you can see, I am not a believe in the Clippers as a serious title contender at all.
I think it would be a good series and the Clippers could beat them in 6. They have a great post player in Griffin; an athletic freak at C in Jordan; a great PG; plenty of perimeter shooting; a defensive irritant in Barnes, and a very good scorer coming off the bench.

Miami may win the series but I think the Clippers would win more than 1 game.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Speaking of Joey Crawford, that SOB literally iced Kevin Durant at the line during a crucial FT late in OT tonight.

OKC was down 1 with 27 seconds to play and Durant was winding up to take his 2nd FT when Crawford rushes in yelling about something on the scoreboard. After he finishes with his rant Durant misses what would have been the game tying FT. OKC goes on to lose by that 1 point margin.
He still has to make that FT. Also, why the heck is Westbrook taking more shots than KD? We know Iverson used to chuck up 30+ shots when he was playing the point, but he didn't have a Kevin Durant to pass the ball to. Westbrook is an amazing athlete and player, but he has to step back and distribute more. I think OKC would be a better team if he did.

Top Bottom