MLB Chatter Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Congratulations to the Texas Rangers for writing their names in the record book last night.

Last night the Twins broke the Yankees record of 161 HRs before the All Star break. They finished the night with 165. They also broke their team record by hitting 9 doubles and tied their team record of 13 extra base hits in a 9 inning game. They also had a season high of 20 hits with each starter having multiple hits.

They have been scuffling and had just lost two series in a row for the first time this season and really needed this. Thanks for making it happen, Rangers.

:towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
‘You can’t get mad at TrackMan’: A day under the watchful eye of the RoboUmp

Dan Connolly 3h ago

YORK, Pa. – The concept has fascinated for years: a robot umpire.

If the technology is there, why not get rid of the human version of the ball-and-strike arbiter with a computerized system that maintains a consistent strike zone from inning to inning and game to game?

Well, now the technology is here.

On Wednesday evening, in partnership with Major League Baseball, the independent Atlantic League rolled out the Automated Ball-Strike System (ABS) during its All-Star Game at PeoplesBank Park.

Throughout Wednesday’s game, a 3D-Doppler radar screen attached to the roof of the stadium directly behind home plate registered pitches and sent the information to a laptop computer integrated with TrackMan data. That strike-ball info was then transmitted from the computer in the press box to home-plate umpire Brian deBrauwere, who carried an iPhone with Bluetooth in his pocket and wore an Apple AirPod wireless headphone in his right ear.

After each pitch, he’d hear the ball or strike directive and then make the call on the field, with only a second or two lag in the execution.

For the most part, it worked. But there were some minor glitches – not surprising considering this was the first full implementation of the technology within an entire game.

There was a three-pitch period in which deBrauwere didn’t receive a signal from his phone to the earpiece. Then, in the middle of the game, the system lost connection for a half-inning, requiring deBrauwere to do what he’s done for a decade as a pro umpire. He went old school – like back to last week — and called balls and strikes until he had a break in between innings and the connection could be restored. That took roughly a minute. And it was imperceptible unless you were watching deBrauwere’s every move.

TrackMan data – used in the majors and MLB-affiliated minor-league teams to record information such as launch angle and exit velocity – already was established for a chunk of the Atlantic League All-Stars, since many have been in affiliated pro ball in the past five years. Therefore, their strike zones, based on attributes such as height and stance, were already created in the database. That allowed the system to adjust the chest-to-knees zone for each individual player.

Still, it wasn’t foolproof. One hitter was rung-up on a two-strike fastball that was clearly low, but apparently nicked the bottom of the zone as it headed to the dirt. Those kinds of alterations should get made as all eight Atlantic League parks use the system in the second half of the season.

But on the evening it made its pro debut with significant fanfare, the ABS was fairly seamless. To the point that one pitcher, Southern Maryland’s Daryl Thompson, didn’t realize it was being used until his catcher informed him after he pitched. The only clues, Thompson said sheepishly, were that he once got the ball thrown back to him before deBrauwere raised his hand to indicate a strike. And he also noticed the ump had an AirPod.

“It was crazy because I saw the earpiece in the umpire’s ear, but I didn’t think anything of it when I was out there,” Thompson said.

That’s the hope for this new technology, one that ultimately could be used in affiliated minor-league games and, perhaps, in the majors one day: that no one really notices.

On Wednesday, though, it was the story. A legitimate curiosity for media, players, fans and staff. [HR][/HR]
Just so damn stupid. Please do not let this become a thing, dear baby Jesus. I will convert my dark soul over to the light if you do me just this one favor.

Cotton

Staff member

Ugh. It is starting to look like the Rangers will be sellers. This sucks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Ugh. It is starting to look like the Rangers will be sellers. This sucks.
They aren't quite ready and he would have left next year anyways. If they do trade him then it's time to not half ass it.

Cotton

Staff member

I am looking forward to seeing this ex-Red Raider playing in the Bigs.

Cotton

Staff member
They aren't quite ready and he would have left next year anyways. If they do trade him then it's time to not half ass it.
That's correct. If they are going to sell, then sell big and commit to it.

Cotton

Staff member
Fuck it, just sell.

Cotton

Staff member
Obsession.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Regardless of how this season ends, it's been a fun ride this summer.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

Regardless of how this season ends, it's been a fun ride this summer.
But baseballs are not juiced

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Oh, hello everyone. I just thought it might be nice to drop by with gifts we all can share.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom