MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just realized who that is. He always tweets on Evan Grants stuff about the Rangers. When I say tweets I actually mean makes a fool of himself and Evan let's him have it. Its actually quite comical. I should tag Evan on that just to see him go off.
And, right after I tagged him Twitter made me verify myself for "possibly violating Twitter policies". So, @jack is an Astros fan? :unsure

Kbrown

Not So New Member
That guy is persona non grata on Astros Twitter. Some people think it is a fan of another team trolling to make Astros fans look bad.

D

Deuce

:lol

Ya, I'm not the tallest guy but I would not subject myself to that, especially with other people in the stadium still. Hell, just as her to take her hooker heels off instead.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just a guess, but I bet he was just messing around. A teammate probably threw the bucket out there when they saw how much tolerance she was. Especially with her shoes.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Home run derby tonight got me to thinking about the old home run derby show that I used to watch as a kid.

I think it was ESPN who used to run re-runs of a home run derby TV series from the 1960s. It was a 30-minute one-on-one home run competition with March Madness like brackets. As a kid I loved it because I was really into MLB back in the late 80s and I used to read up on all the old players from previous generations.

So I loved that I got to watch footage of guys like Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, and Mickey Mantle competing against each other. We take it for granted now because we live in the YouTube era and can instantly pull up old video of those guys on our phones. But back then it felt like a big deal getting to watch footage of the legends of the game.

Does anyone else remember watching this show?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Home run derby tonight got me to thinking about the old home run derby show that I used to watch as a kid.

I think it was ESPN who used to run re-runs of a home run derby TV series from the 1960s. It was a 30-minute one-on-one home run competition with March Madness like brackets. As a kid I loved it because I was really into MLB back in the late 80s and I used to read up on all the old players from previous generations.

So I loved that I got to watch footage of guys like Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, and Mickey Mantle competing against each other. We take it for granted now because we live in the YouTube era and can instantly pull up old video of those guys on our phones. But back then it felt like a big deal getting to watch footage of the legends of the game.

Does anyone else remember watching this show?
Sure do and loved watching it. Getting to see historical players battling it out was fun to see.

I don't even know who is participating this year but I do know Choo was asked. Don't think he accepted and really surprised he was considered. I know he is having a good year (finally getting what we paid for) but wouldn't consider him a homerun threat.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Sure do and loved watching it. Getting to see historical players battling it out was fun to see.

I don't even know who is participating this year but I do know Choo was asked. Don't think he accepted and really surprised he was considered. I know he is having a good year (finally getting what we paid for) but wouldn't consider him a homerun threat.
After submitting my post I ran to YouTube to see if the old videos were online and sure enough they're all online.

I just watched about half of the first episode, Mickey Mantle vs Willie Mays. I forgot that the competition was in a 3 outs per inning, 9-inning format.

This is something that I'd love to see some of the current home run hitters do. Even if it's just for one offseason.

The funny thing about the original version was the relatively low (by today's standards) prize money involved. The winner took home $2,000. The loser $1,000. They also received $500 bonuses if they hit 3 home runs in a row.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Just finished reading the details of the Manny Machado trade to the Dodgers....I've never been a fan of trades like that. By that I mean trades where the team is giving away a proven All-Star for a handful of prospects who you hope and pray will pan out. Prospects received in these trades usually don't develop into good, All-Star caliber players. Just because someone carries the label of "Top Prospect" doesn't mean much. I've seen tons of those guys tear up the minor leagues only to get to the majors and become a solid player at best. Never reaching the lofty expectations organizations had for them. My Braves have had quite a few of them.

That's why it blows my mind whenever I hear someone suggest that the Angels should trade Mike Trout just because the team is bad. IMO, that's a GM/coaching problem not a Mike Trout problem. Trout is the best player in the game and advanced analytics have him ranked as one of the greatest hitters of all time. If they traded Trout for a bunch of prospects, unless they are EXTREMELY lucky, they will not receive players anywhere near Trout's caliber.

For me it comes down to this. You have a great player like Machado or Trout and your front office has failed to build a winner around them. What gives you confidence that the front office will all of a sudden be able to build a winner without those great players? Chances are the losing will continue.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
They most likely wont get what they give up but they were going to lose him anyways. Might as well get something in return.

I think it goes both ways as well. Players drop off or don't perform as well after the payday. Maybe the players they acquired prior to falling out of contention didnt perform to the standards they thought they were getting (ie every player the rangers traded for during the recent past trade deadlines). I don't really know the moves or non moves that the Orioles made so maybe this isnt the case with Machado. I know that the one rumor I have heard concerning their front office is something along the lines of being too critical with physicals.

As far as Trout and the Angels I think they have done a pretty good job of putting a team around him. They just have bad timing with all of the luck the Astros have with everything prospect turning into gold for them.

Rev

Staff member
Ok. Haven't followed the league as closely as I have in the last and it seems the Angels have fallen off recently. I just remember them having a decent team last season and made splashes during the off-season. Still don't see a reason to trade Trout.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Either they didn't want to pay him $300M next winter, or they couldn't afford him due to Chris Davis's disastrous contract. Either way, sucks to be an O's fan.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Just finished reading the details of the Manny Machado trade to the Dodgers....I've never been a fan of trades like that. By that I mean trades where the team is giving away a proven All-Star for a handful of prospects who you hope and pray will pan out. Prospects received in these trades usually don't develop into good, All-Star caliber players. Just because someone carries the label of "Top Prospect" doesn't mean much. I've seen tons of those guys tear up the minor leagues only to get to the majors and become a solid player at best. Never reaching the lofty expectations organizations had for them. My Braves have had quite a few of them.

That's why it blows my mind whenever I hear someone suggest that the Angels should trade Mike Trout just because the team is bad. IMO, that's a GM/coaching problem not a Mike Trout problem. Trout is the best player in the game and advanced analytics have him ranked as one of the greatest hitters of all time. If they traded Trout for a bunch of prospects, unless they are EXTREMELY lucky, they will not receive players anywhere near Trout's caliber.

For me it comes down to this. You have a great player like Machado or Trout and your front office has failed to build a winner around them. What gives you confidence that the front office will all of a sudden be able to build a winner without those great players? Chances are the losing will continue.
This is why I don't give much of a damn when haterz try to slam the Astros by claiming they tanked. It isn't like basketball where you can lose on purpose and make a few no-brainer No. 1 picks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Nice.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Jeez. Even the pitch looked like a strike.

Rev

Staff member

Jeez. Even the pitch looked like a strike.
He is horrid. I dont even know how he has a job.

Top Bottom