:lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:picard

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:picard
This is California rules in Little League. And it is dumb to try to implement at the major league level. The reason it is done in Little League is in the interest of time. You know, because kids aren't able to hit very well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Retarded.

So the game will basically come down to which team can sac bunt/fly the best. Awesome.

Why not just start with the runner on third and one out? It'll save time, ya know.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
MLB Outlines Pace-of-Play Changes for 2018 Season Including Reduced Mound Visits
Timothy Rapp
February 19, 2018

Major League Baseball announced new rules Monday to speed up the game in 2018, according to Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area, which include only allowing "six mound visits a game and [cutting] back on time between innings."

However, the league said in a statement it won't add a pitch clock or a timer between batters this season "in order to provide players with an opportunity to speed up the game without the use of those timers," Jon Morosi of MLB Network noted.

MLB clarified those six mound visits wouldn't include pitching changes, per its statement about the new rules. In extra-inning games, teams will be granted one additional mound visit per inning.

The new rules won't be without exceptions. For instance, MLB announced the "home plate umpire may, upon request of the catcher, allow the catcher to make a brief mound visit" if the umpire believes a cross-up between the pitcher and catcher occurred.

Additionally, "players who consistently or flagrantly violate the time limits will be subject to progressive discipline for just cause," though ball-strike penalties will not be levied in pace-of-play infractions.

"I am pleased that we were able to reach an understanding with the Players Association to take concrete steps to address pace of play with the cooperation of players," MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said in the statement. "My strong preference is to continue to have ongoing dialogue with players on this topic to find mutually acceptable solutions."

Cutting back on time between innings will include having just "2:05 for breaks in locally televised championship season games...2:25 for breaks in nationally televised championship season games, and...2:55 for tie-breaker and postseason games."

Additionally, a pitcher must throw his final warm-up pitch by the time the between-innings counter hits 20 seconds, and the batter must proceed to the batter's box after that warm-up pitch is thrown.

Cotton

Staff member
Traina Thoughts: MLB Should Embrace Rule That Lets Teams Bat Anyone They Want In 9th Inning

By Jimmy Traina February 21, 2018

1. Before you scoff, hear me out.

According to Rich Eisen, one MLB exec recently told him that there is a rule being discussed by some in the game that would basically cause a riot. It goes like this: In the 9th inning only, the manager of the trailing team would be allowed to send up any three players he wants for the first three at-bats of the inning. It doesn't matter where a team is in the batting order during the game. The skipper can send up anyone he wants in any order for the first three at-bats in the 9th.

I know that would be a radical rule change, and I'm normally a traditionalist in every way, but after thinking about it, I say implement the rule for one season and see what happens.

Yes, this changes everything about the game, but baseball needs a shakeup. The NFL and the NBA are the dominant sports in this country right now, especially with younger viewers. This would be a way to generate buzz and excitement on a daily basis. It also would put pressure on managers and involve a lot of strategy. Do you send up your .260 hitter who has three hits that day or do you send up your .320 hitter who is in the middle of a 2-for-20 slump?

I know this would be a shock to the system of many baseball fans. The league's idea of cutting edge and getting wild and crazy is allowing players to wear nicknames on the back of their jerseys for a weekend. But this is sports. Why not have fun? Why not take a chance? Why not do something outlandish and see what happens? Do it for one season and re-evaluate. (Here's my Twitter if you'd like to bash me for this opinion.)

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would probably stop watching altogether if that happens.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Staff member
They had to clear even more money to sign him.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is the trial run, just watch they're going to do this to the bigs next

Cotton

Staff member
This is the trial run, just watch they're going to do this to the bigs next
God damnit, please do not let this end up in the bigs. I seriously may quit watching baseball. Not like I have a ton of reason to watch right now with my Rangers anyway.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This offseason, the Twins have added Lance Lynn and Jake Odorizzi to their starting rotation. Also added Zach Duke, Addison Reed, Fernando Rodney, and Tyler Kinley to their bullpen. Plus picked up power lefty Logan Morrison to DH/backup 1B and hit behind Sano.

:fistpump

Rev

Staff member
This offseason, the Twins have added Lance Lynn and Jake Odorizzi to their starting rotation. Also added Zach Duke, Addison Reed, Fernando Rodney, and Tyler Kinley to their bullpen. Plus picked up power lefty Logan Morrison to DH/backup 1B and hit behind Sano.

:fistpump
They are looking really good and you should have a fun year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They are looking really good and you should have a fun year.
Hopefully. Would be fun to challenge the Indians for the division, but I'm not sure we're quite there yet. Never know, I guess.

Top Bottom