MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I actually thought with no shift it would actually help him. Guess you still need to make contact.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Talented photographer to catch him in between face tics.

• Haha
Reactions: Rev

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I actually thought with no shift it would actually help him. Guess you still need to make contact.

Actually his OPS+ is 101 this year which means he's hitting slightly above league average (and much better than he did last year when he was at 80). Isolating strike outs as if they're more important than most other non-productive at bats is nearly useless.

He struck out in half his at bats? Oh no! Except even great hitters make an out 60% of the time or more. A strike out is an out. Your main job as a hitter is to avoid making outs, not avoid making certain types of outs.

The antiquated way people view strike outs even in this day and age needs to go away.

• Picard
Reactions: Rev

Rev

Staff member
Actually his OPS+ is 101 this year which means he's hitting slightly above league average (and much better than he did last year when he was at 80). Isolating strike outs as if they're more important than most other non-productive at bats is nearly useless.

He struck out in half his at bats? Oh no! Except even great hitters make an out 60% of the time or more. A strike out is an out. Your main job as a hitter is to avoid making outs, not avoid making certain types of outs.

The antiquated way people view strike outs even in this day and age needs to go away.
Until a strikeout can advance runners I will totally be against them. Sac flies still exist. It's a nonproductive out.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
People definitely need to embrace the new.

Like the pitch clock.

Rev

Staff member
And some contact outs are worse, like double plays.
and even double plays can score a run at times or even move a runner to 3rd.

Why give up that chance by having a no contact hitter at the plate?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
and even double plays can score a run at times or even move a runner to 3rd.

Why give up that chance by having a no contact hitter at the plate?

Those times are all fairly rare.

If a guy strikes out a lot but also hits for a lot of power (or gets on base a lot, but that's a less common combination), it's a good trade off and I don't care how many times he strikes out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I don't even pay attention to baseball anymore but this caught my attention.

Rev

Staff member

I don't even pay attention to baseball anymore but this caught my attention.
Somebody in the NY area want to check on the wellbeing of Frank the Tank?

I wouldnt either.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
Texas is now 70-47. The additions via trade have made a huge impact.
Notably, Chapman and Stratton (9.2 scoreless innings since becoming a Ranger) have helped solidify the bullpen big-time, as well as getting a reliever Josh Sborz back from injury, who has been excellent this year outside of a couple really bad outings before the All Star break. Also, for all the talk of Ohtani and how great he is in LA, Corey Seager is almost as good as a hitter...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So happy with him. It looks like being on a winning team has rejuvenated him.
We have all of this without our "ace". It's incredible. Our offense is incredible.

Rev

Staff member
So happy with him. It looks like being on a winning team has rejuvenated him.
I don't know if this is anything to this but evidently he and Verlander don't get along too well and it goes all the way back to when they were pitching for the Tigers.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't know if this is anything to this but evidently he and Verlander don't get along too well and it goes all the way back to when they were pitching for the Tigers.
Heard that on the Ticket this morning. Said he thought Verlander was kind of a prima donna.

First thought, if I were married to Kate Upton, I might be kind of an uppity asshole, too. :unsure

Top Bottom