MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep. I'm sure this isn't popular, but this is why I actually like salary caps. It just doesn't seem right that the Yankees and Dodgers basically get to play by different rules than the smaller-market teams. IMO pro sports shouldn't have elites and feeder teams.
The Cowboys could outspend everybody if there wasn't a hard cap. I see this the same way. Wanna succeed then make more money to spend. Y'all are a bunch of commies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not necessarily a card cap such as the NFL's, but there should be something to help out the competitive balance. Even more than just revenue sharing.

Honestly, I haven't really given it much thought since I know it will never happen anyway.
Yeah I agree.

I don't want a hard cap either, but maybe something can be done in the way of revenue sharing like you said to help the smaller market teams more.

It's one thing for a team/owner to be cheap, but it's another when they simply don't have the resources to be more competitive.

Imagine the Rays if they had some money to spend? They are the most efficiently run organization in team sports, IMO, and I can only imagine just how much they could do if they had more funds to sign some elite FAs every now and again.

Teams that actually want to compete shouldn't be hindered from doing so due to lack of resources.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wish I could sublimate my sports desires into watching baseball again, like I did as a youngster.

I guess I could since my team, the Braves, are doing so well recently.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
what choice do you have? every other major sport is dormant.

Cotton

Staff member
This is one helluva Rangers game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is one helluva Rangers game.
If I hadn't seen your post and turned it on, they'd probably still be ahead. :(

Cotton

Staff member
If I hadn't seen your post and turned it on, they'd probably still be ahead. :(
It's been a great game, Rangers down 10-2. Come back to take the lead 11-10. And now this. :sad

Cotton

Staff member
Let's see what they can in the bottom of the ninth.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, shit.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I haven't watched any except the last 10 minutes, has Chapman pitched yet?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Does he look like he has anything left? I'm kind of skeptical he does. Would be great if he finds it again, though,

Cotton

Staff member
Does he look like he has anything left? I'm kind of skeptical he does. Would be great if he finds it again, though,
Well, he's not the pitcher that gave up the lead, so...

Seriously, he looked pretty good.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Imagine the Rays if they had some money to spend? They are the most efficiently run organization in team sports, IMO, and I can only imagine just how much they could do if they had more funds to sign some elite FAs every now and again.

Teams that actually want to compete shouldn't be hindered from doing so due to lack of resources.
Like the A's, a large part of the Rays' economic problems are centered around their stadium. They were trying to move from St. Pete to Tampa for while, but it doesn't seem like there's any real progress.

The last story I saw about the Rays new stadium plans was about them most likely having to remain in St. Pete.

IMO, simply building a new stadium won't fix their attendance issues. The complaint I always see from Tampa residents is that they don't attend games because it's too far/inconvenient. Tampa's population is almost twice that of St. Pete. If I were them I'd still make a push to build in Tampa where the games are more accessible to the larger population segment.

Cotton

Staff member

This needs an asterisk beside it because of the new stupid rules.

Top Bottom