MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here is why I say that... you are essentially paying two salaries in one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, I figured just to get him to listen you have to come with no less than 600.

The absolute best players in baseball get 300+, and he happens to be two elite players in one.

By that logic, 600 million would be my asking price.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I said this before but my one worry with Ohtani is if he gets hurt it takes the equivalent of two elite players off the roster.

That's not to say I wouldn't want him for that reason, but money wise, if you pay two elite players 60 million total between them and one gets hurt, you still have the other one. That means to me that having two elite players at 600 million is more valuable than having one elite player at that price.

Which means that I'd have no problem making Ohtani the highest paid player, but I wouldn't go anywhere near 600 million. I'd rather just sign two guys for that price.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Which means that I'd have no problem making Ohtani the highest paid player, but I wouldn't go anywhere near 600 million. I'd rather just sign two guys for that price.
That's actually very sound logic and I can't say I wouldn't do the same.

Cotton

Staff member
I said this before but my one worry with Ohtani is if he gets hurt it takes the equivalent of two elite players off the roster.

That's not to say I wouldn't want him for that reason, but money wise, if you pay two elite players 60 million total between them and one gets hurt, you still have the other one. That means to me that having two elite players at 600 million is more valuable than having one elite player at that price.

That's the gamble. If he can stay healthy he can take a team to a ring.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's the gamble. If he can stay healthy he can take a team to a ring.
He hasn’t been taking the Angels to a ring.

And that’s even before this upcoming massive contract. How are they going to afford to put a competitive team around him?

Cotton

Staff member

And that’s even before this upcoming massive contract. How are they going to afford to put a competitive team around him?
I didn't say he would. I said he could.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Exactly. He's a very good very valuable player. But he hasn't gotten the Angels anywhere close and you still have to field a team around him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Exactly. He's a very good very valuable player. But he hasn't gotten the Angels anywhere close and you still have to field a team around him.
Yep. He’s awesome. No doubt. But I’d rather have the handful of other good everyday players as the core of my team with that money.

1 all world superstar and a bunch of JAGS isn’t going to cut it. He still only gets to hit once every 2-3 innings and pitch once every 5 days.

Hell, he’s had Trout and a pretty decent team around him for awhile and like you said, hasn’t done much in the way of competing for the WS.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, but the problem (?) in MLB is the biggest-revenue teams can sign outrageously priced FAs and still pay other players.

I'd worry, like Geng said, that he gets some tiny strain or "tightness" like all pitchers do, and then he's out a few weeks as a hitter also. There's no way they'd pay a guy that much and then let him keep hitting even if swinging the bat didn't really affect the injury.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Agreed. Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have super deep pockets. But even they can only pay so much.

IMO, that’s the biggest problem in baseball. Teams like the Brewers, Twins, Royals, Pirates, etc… have to catch lightning in a bottle to compete. And even then, it’s short lived as their players price out.

Cotton

Staff member
Agreed. Teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have super deep pockets. But even they can only pay so much.

IMO, that’s the biggest problem in baseball. Teams like the Brewers, Twins, Royals, Pirates, etc… have to catch lightning in a bottle to compete. And even then, it’s short lived as their players price out.
So, you want a hard cap in baseball? I do not.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, you want a hard cap in baseball? I do not.
Not necessarily a hard cap such as the NFL's, but there should be something to help out the competitive balance. Even more than just revenue sharing.

Honestly, I haven't really given it much thought since I know it will never happen anyway.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Yep. I'm sure this isn't popular, but this is why I actually like salary caps. It just doesn't seem right that the Yankees and Dodgers basically get to play by different rules than the smaller-market teams. IMO pro sports shouldn't have elites and feeder teams.

Top Bottom