MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What NFL game is 2 1/2 hours? Why do people think this is a good thing at the expense of artificially altering the game?
The difference is the action. 2 1/2 hours of football goes fast. 3 hours of baseball can feel like 4 hours at times. Its about looking forward and change sucks but the kids they are trying to attract dont have the attention span. Hell I love the game and I actually cant tell you when the last time Ive watched a game. Its not just about the Rangers sucking because I watched them almost daily growing up when they were just as bad.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The difference is the action. 2 1/2 hours of football goes fast. 3 hours of baseball can feel like 4 hours at times. Its about looking forward and change sucks but the kids they are trying to attract dont have the attention span. Hell I love the game and I actually cant tell you when the last time Ive watched a game. Its not just about the Rangers sucking because I watched them almost daily growing up when they were just as bad.
Like @1bigfan13 said, with them going to Bally Sports it makes it's a pain in the ass to watch the games.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The NFL tinkers with rules all the time to improve the game. Why should MLB be any different? 15 seconds is plenty of time to get the catcher's signal and make the pitch. I don't need to see the pitcher stepping off the rubber, strolling around the mound or constantly going to the rosin bag.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Except football games aren't 2 1/2 hours.

If kids today don't like the game they don't like the game and that's fine. They can just not watch it. But you don't change the game for the people that don't like it. Chances are they're not going to like it regardless.

By the way, the world series and NBA finals both seemed to average about the same amount of viewers last year (about 12 million). This panic over viewership appears to be greatly exaggerated. I think they're fine. In fact I'd guess the viewership doesn't substantively change with shorter games.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The NFL tinkers with rules all the time to improve the game. Why should MLB be any different? 15 seconds is plenty of time to get the catcher's signal and make the pitch. I don't need to see the pitcher stepping off the rubber, strolling around the mound or constantly going to the rosin bag.

This isn't tinkering it's pretty substantial. And people hate when the NFL tinkers with rules.

Cotton

Staff member
But you don't change the game for the people that don't like it. Chances are they're not going to like it regardless.
Like I said, they can go watch pickleball for all I care. And, to your other point, I haven't seen any substantial shifts in viewership outside of the Bally Sports thing.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not that I wanted to dur you, it's just that I had no choice.
Well, sometimes when people know they are are wrong they lash out. I understand.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What really pisses me off is that certain teams are now wearing ads on their jerseys in reg season games this year. I never thought it would come to that.

Cotton

Staff member
What really pisses me off is that certain teams are now wearing ads on their jerseys in reg season games this year. I never thought it would come to that.
All about the Benjamins.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If kids today don't like the game they don't like the game and that's fine. They can just not watch it. But you don't change the game for the people that don't like it. Chances are they're not going to like it regardless.
Exactly.

I love golf, which has been substantially the same for centuries. I'd hate to see the game changed just because one generation of TikTok kids has the attention span of a fruit fly. At some point, if the kids want to do something else, just let them.

I'm not a big baseball guy anyway, but from what I've heard the problem with younger people and baseball is it's turned into almost a rich kids game. The days of diamonds in parks everywhere and kids playing pickup games seems to be over. But that has nothing to do with MLB shaving 12 minutes off a game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I actually disagree. I wish they would get rid of the DH.
Yep, I'm an American League guy I guess, but it seems like that's a real way to shorten the game a little. Plus it adds more thinking and strategy.

I know it's never going back now, but I don't really get why so many serious baseball fans love the DH.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But also a way for poor Dominicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans to get off the island.
Right, I meant in America obviously. But most of the kids you mentioned play with sticks and rocks and whatever else they can find first until the talented ones are discovered.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, I'm an American League guy I guess, but it seems like that's a real way to shorten the game a little. Plus it adds more thinking and strategy.

I know it's never going back now, but I don't really get why so many serious baseball fans love the DH.
Hell, the National League is now talking about going to the DH. Yeah, it's not going away, but I damn sure wish it would. It makes recruiting, gameplan, and game execution completely different.

Top Bottom