MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is right up there with an exhausted Pedro Martinez being sent out another inning against the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS.

Easily the two worst examples of playoff managing that I can recall.
Not telling Nelson Cruz to back up..... :sad

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not telling Nelson Cruz to back up..... :sad
Even still, he could have made the catch but he didn't want to sell out for it.

The human in me understands, but a pro baseball player in that moment with a chance to win it all has to be willing to take pounding at the wall.

Sucks....I really wanted that WS for Texas.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is what has separated the Astros from the rest this postseason -- their crunch time composure and heroics.

Are they gonna do it again?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Assuming this holds, this Astros loss is 100% on Dusty Baker.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's a big one @Genghis Khan

I think the Phillies are in the driver's seat now.

That's the kind of loss that can lose you a series and Dusty Baker has a lot of explaining to do.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Astros no hit the Phillies last night.

2nd no hitter in World Series history.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Astros no hit the Phillies last night.

2nd no hitter in World Series history.
This is why I thought the Astros would win -- the pitching.

If Verlander wasn't a huge WS choker and/or Dusty Baker didn't inexplicably watch him slowly meltdown in game 1, this series would be 3-1.

He gets another shot at his first win WS tonight and if he can finally get that, I think it's over because Framber Valdez pitches game 6 and he's been absolutely lights out all year long.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is why I thought the Astros would win -- the pitching.

If Verlander wasn't a huge WS choker and/or Dusty Baker didn't inexplicably watch him slowly meltdown in game 1, this series would be 3-1.

He gets another shot at his first win WS tonight and if he can finally get that, I think it's over because Framber Valdez pitches game 6 and he's been absolutely lights out all year long.
It's weird how some of these all-time great pitchers come crashing back down to earth when the calendar flips to October. I don't know if it's the weather change or what.

Kershaw has the same issues. Same with Greg Maddux.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's weird how some of these all-time great pitchers come crashing back down to earth when the calendar flips to October. I don't know if it's the weather change or what.

Kershaw has the same issues. Same with Greg Maddux.
Yeah, not only is he 0 for 8 in the WS, he just hasn't been great in the postseason, period.

I mean, he was really bad in game 1 of the ALDS too.

He's been unreliable at best for the Astros as a postseason pitcher, even in a season that lots of people thought was his best ever.

I guess these guys just carry it differently from a mental standpoint at this time of year.

Top Bottom