MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nolan and co. are a very good ownership group, but did they reshape the org in like 1 year? Nope. The Rangers had an exceptional farm system that was just staring to rise to the bigs. That gives a team the luxury to spend in free agency and make trades.
It started when Jon Daniels got here but I'm just afraid of what that owner would have tried to change. However when Texas was going bad they still had a 40 mill payroll. He's operating on half of that.

D

Deuce

I am no scouting guru, but the consensus among the Baseball Prospectus guys in attendance is that they will be approaching 75-80 wins in 2-3 years. And I don't know how people can hate picking a guy with upside like Carlos Correa, but whatever.

The low payroll thing is such an obvious and facile criticism. Ya, let's get a couple of high-paid free agents and still suck all year.

I give it four years before the Texas baseball scene is right side up again.
I didn't see anyone hate to Correa pick, I was talking about taking an inferior player this year. As for low payroll, smart teams can work around that. I think they have some good pieces to start with.

Rev

Staff member
You seem like a true diehard, so I won't go after Rangers fans in reference to something you've posted.
I will agree that we have a ton of bandwagon fans. For most it was probably just a distraction until the cowboys started again. Not me, though. I've been a fan since the 80s when I started playing little league. Probably due to the fact that we lived closer to Arlington and that's what came on the radio.

And my post was just a little fun. I know you guys have more of a baseball past then we do. I just have to have a little fun now because its been a long time coming.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I will agree that we have a ton of bandwagon fans. For most it was probably just a distraction until the cowboys started again. Not me, though. I've been a fan since the 80s when I started playing little league. Probably due to the fact that we lived closer to Arlington and that's what came on the radio.
Props.

I mean, even I went through a phase as an angsty teenager when I didn't care about any sports whatsoever, but I get the feeling that a large contingent of Rangers fans discovered baseball was a thing like 3 years ago.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I didn't see anyone hate to Correa pick, I was talking about taking an inferior player this year. As for low payroll, smart teams can work around that. I think they have some good pieces to start with.
Ya, I think I misunderstood.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It started when Jon Daniels got here but I'm just afraid of what that owner would have tried to change. However when Texas was going bad they still had a 40 mill payroll. He's operating on half of that.
And toward the end of McClane's ownership, the Astros had a payroll in the upper half of the league, but finished at the middle to bottom of the division consistently. I just don't see how that is so highly preferable.

Rev

Staff member
And toward the end of McClane's ownership, the Astros had a payroll in the upper half of the league, but finished at the middle to bottom of the division consistently. I just don't see how that is so highly preferable.
At least you know they were trying. With a payroll this low its almost like The Major League movie. Just think they owe the fans more. The one quote that I saw from the owner about the payroll was sarcastic so didn't help my view of him either.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
At least you know they were trying. With a payroll this low its almost like The Major League movie. Just think they owe the fans more. The one quote that I saw from the owner about the payroll was sarcastic so didn't help my view of him either.
Jim Crane is an asshole. Like I was saying a while back, the only stuff I am upset at has to do with the business side. I just have been impressed with the baseball side of the organization and am willing to endure a crap team for a few years if it means more quickly reaching consistent contention.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Props.

I mean, even I went through a phase as an angsty teenager when I didn't care about any sports whatsoever, but I get the feeling that a large contingent of Rangers fans discovered baseball was a thing like 3 years ago.
The baseball equivalent of Jerry Jones is what ran me off from the Rangers for a while. But, I have been a fan going back to the Oddibe McDowell, Ruben Sierra, Charlie Hough and Pete O'Brien days. But, mucho props do go out to Rev because I gave up on them and he hung on during days like you are having to endure now. So, props to you as well. To hell with it, props to everyone.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I can't say shit about team leadership...the Mets are getting there, but I thought Alderson would get us there sooner than this. Some of that talent he has acquired and developed will have to be a dealt for some speed and power.

Rev

Staff member
I see where the Astros team president and CEO resigned.

You keep your grubby paws off of Nolan.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I see where the Astros team president and CEO resigned.

You keep your grubby paws off of Nolan.
I would love it and it would be a big PR boost, but I don't see it happening. Word is he and Crane don't care for each other, and I get the sense he wants to have input on the baseball side but I'm not sure there's any room for him with Luhnow being a metrics guy and Nolan being as old school as he is.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I can't say shit about team leadership...the Mets are getting there, but I thought Alderson would get us there sooner than this. Some of that talent he has acquired and developed will have to be a dealt for some speed and power.
Who do you think they'll look to move?

Carp

DCC 4Life
It would have to be Wheeler or Syndergaard. I am not fond of losing either, but I know that the bats in the system right now are well behind the arms. Outside of Brandon Nimmo and D'Arnaud we do not really have any high end positional players.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I take back everything I said about needing a bat, looks like we might sign Ankiel.

GSM

Rev

Staff member
I would love it and it would be a big PR boost, but I don't see it happening. Word is he and Crane don't care for each other, and I get the sense he wants to have input on the baseball side but I'm not sure there's any room for him with Luhnow being a metrics guy and Nolan being as old school as he is.
Yeah. That probably wouldn't work since that's what's going on with Nolan and JD.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah. That probably wouldn't work since that's what's going on with Nolan and JD.
Yeah, and they need to stop that shit right frickin' now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am rooting for an OF in the draft this year...Hunter Renfroe from Miss St is mentioned with the Mets quite a bit.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I take back everything I said about needing a bat, looks like we might sign Ankiel.

GSM
Try to take an extra base on that bastard when he's in the OF though. I triple dog dare you. One of the most impressive arms I've ever seen from the OF. I hope he can hook up with some team and get some playing time for a couple more years just to see a few more Ankiel OF assists.

Top Bottom