Kiper & McShay: Picking QB risers, sleepers for 2019 draft

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kiper & McShay: Picking QB risers, sleepers for 2019 draft

Sep 25, 2018
Mel Kiper Jr.Todd McShay

ESPN NFL draft experts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay pick out quarterbacks rising up their boards this season, plus the sleepers to watch for next year's draft.

They also look at sleeper QBs putting up good numbers to start the season, identify two under-the-radar prospects to keep an eye on and give their current picks for the College Football Playoff and Heisman Trophy CFB MVP.

Biggest QB risers

Justin Herbert, Oregon
What impressed me about Herbert in Saturday night's overtime loss to Stanford was the 6-foot-6, 233-pound signal-caller's mobility. He is dangerous in the read option, and he can extend plays with his legs. Showing off that athletic ability is a big part of why Herbert is my new No. 1 quarterback for next year's draft. He completed 78.8 percent of his 33 passes for 346 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Herbert made mistakes, but he battled.

Oregon's Justin Herbert has had a hot start to the season, but his first big test awaits Saturday. Mel Kiper ranks the top 25 prospects for next year's draft.

There is a lot to like about Herbert, who has a chance to be a top-five pick in April. He has ideal size, of course, but he can make every throw and fit the ball into tight windows, and he shows good anticipation. I'd like to see a little more consistency as the season progresses -- he has five picks in four games so far -- but it's clear he has matured and taken the leap in 2018. There are some similarities in the 2019 class to the Class of 2017, in which Mitchell Trubisky ended up being the first quarterback off the board (No. 2 overall). Herbert is ahead of Trubisky at this stage for their careers. Again, Herbert isn't perfect, but he has all the tools to be QB1. -- Kiper

Drew Lock, Missouri
Even after seeing it on film, Lock's arm looks really legit when you see it in person. He has the accuracy and pop to fit the ball into small windows that some NFL QBs can't thread. Through four games, Lock has completed 62.7 percent of his passes after completing just 54.5 percent through his first three seasons at Mizzou. Nearly across the board, his numbers have jumped thus far with his new offensive coordinator, Derek Dooley, who spent the past five years with the Dallas Cowboys. His last OC, Josh Heupel, ran a spread-tempo offense, and the arrival of Dooley is allowing Lock to learn to set protections and identify defensive setups before the snap for the first time in his football career, although he needs to speed up his progression reads post-snap.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound senior is severely underrated as an athlete -- he was offered a basketball scholarship by Oklahoma out of high school -- but he needs to morph into more of a leader. He won't throw four touchdowns every game like he did in the first two games of the season, and there will be times when he'll struggle as he did against Georgia when his 13-game touchdown pass streak came to an end. In those scenarios, he needs to really work on his body language. -- McShay

QB sleepers to watch

Tyree Jackson, Buffalo
You need to watch Jackson and the Bulls, who are 4-0 and just walloped Rutgers. Jackson, a fourth-year junior, is huge -- 6-foot-7, 245 pounds. He has a big arm and can move, though he's not a runner. He takes care of the football, too. Jackson has 27 touchdown passes and only six interceptions over his last two seasons. I have him ranked as my No. 4 underclassman signal-caller for this class, and he could rise even further. -- Kiper

Brett Rypien, Boise State
The 6-foot-2, 202-pound senior has 10 touchdowns and no picks for the Broncos this season. Despite the loss in Stillwater, he still rang up 380 passing yards and three scores while hitting 70 percent of his throws. Nephew of Mark Rypien, he has some physical limitations as an undersized QB, but he gets it mentally and has a good work ethic. I could see him working his way into a Day 3 draft spot. -- McShay

Almost famous under-the-radar prospects
Keep an eye on these potential Day 2 or Day 3 picks:

Oshane Ximines, DE, Old Dominion
How about those Monarchs? They went from 0-3, with losses to Liberty, Florida International and Charlotte, to an upset win in Blacksburg over No. 13 Virginia Tech. And they have some prospects. Ximines, a 6-foot-3, 253-pound fifth-year senior, had two sacks and seven total tackles against the Hokies. He's explosive off the edge, and there were times when he used power moves to rush inside. Ximines can hold the edge in the run game, though there were plays in which he lost eye discipline and overcommitted. But you have to like his versatility -- he lined up with his hand in the dirt and on his feet. Ximines has 26 career sacks, but he's still growing into his frame. He's on my board in the third-round range right now. -- Kiper

Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion
I've watched some film on Fulgham's sophomore season, when he caught eight touchdowns for Old Dominion, and there's a lot to like. The 6-foot-2, 214-pound wideout caught nine passes for 188 yards (20.9 yards per catch) and a touchdown in Saturday's 49-35 upset win over Virginia Tech. He walked on to the Monarchs back in 2014 and quickly earned a scholarship with the team. Fulgham has 34½-inch arms, 9⅜-inch hands and good speed. Before Saturday's breakout, he had five catches for 64 yards in the first three games of the season. He's someone to keep an eye on. -- McShay

Prospect on the rise
This is the 2019 NFL draft prospect moving up boards:

Dillon Mitchell, WR, Oregon
Mitchell is just a junior and is coming off one of the best games of his collegiate career. In Saturday night's OT win over Stanford, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound wide receiver caught 14 balls for 239 yards, including a 53-yard gain. And he did it all while battling through a leg injury. He has some room to get stronger but shows natural tracking ability. -- McShay

College football's most valuable players
These aren't our picks for the Heisman Trophy winner; these are the MVPs of college football.

Kiper's top three:

1. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: How good is the Alabama team? Tagovailoa was sensational again in the win over Texas A&M, his fourth straight game with a Total QBR of at least 95.

2. Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma: Don't blame Murray for the Sooners almost blowing their College Football Playoff chances at home against Army. Murray was efficient again, with four total touchdowns, though he threw a poor interception. Still, OU might have lost without him on Saturday.

3. Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State: Haskins is up to 16 touchdown passes and just one interception this season, and he was nearly flawless in limited time against Tulane, completing 21 of 24 passes.

McShay's top three:

1. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Career-high passing numbers for Tua this week against the Aggies, as he threw for 387 yards. He has been exceptional going deep this season. According to ESPN Stats & Information tracking, he has hit 59 percent of his passes at least 10 yards downfield and has scored nine touchdowns on such throws (0 INT).

2. Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State: Haskins had 304 passing yards and five touchdowns against Tulane on Saturday. The last Big Ten player with 300-plus yards and five TDs through the air? Purdue's Kyle Orton against Indiana, way, way back in 2004, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

3. Will Grier, QB, West Virginia: Grier's first-half stat line against Kansas State would have been impressive on its own, as he threw for 258 yards and three scores. He'd finish the day with five touchdowns.

If the College Football Playoff started today ...
Kiper's top four teams:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State

McShay's top four teams:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. Clemson

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Like I've been saying, the 2019 class reminds me more of a Trubisky type class than a Goff/Wentz type class, Haskins could definitely change that though. If he comes out I think he'd be my top choice, although we still have a ways to go here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I've been saying, the 2019 class reminds me more of a Trubisky type class than a Goff/Wentz type class, Haskins could definitely change that though. If he comes out I think he'd be my top choice, although we still have a ways to go here.
Yeah I kind of like Drew Lock for some reason. Tagovailoa on the other hand worries me. I don't see the elite physical traits for some reason but I guess I should start watching the QBs more again. I always thought he looked more like an average athlete who knows how to take advantage of elite weapons around him like Matt Leinart did back in the day.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You guys are looking at the wrong school. Boise State is our go to school. Rypien to piss off the Redskin fans.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys are looking at the wrong school. Boise State is our go to school. Rypien to piss off the Redskin fans.
Unless he has a cannon for an arm I want nothing to do with an undersized limited passer from Boise State. It would be like our QB coach is reproducing all over the team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I kind of like Drew Lock for some reason. Tagovailoa on the other hand worries me. I don't see the elite physical traits for some reason but I guess I should start watching the QBs more again. I always thought he looked more like an average athlete who knows how to take advantage of elite weapons around him like Matt Leinart did back in the day.
Tagovailoa doesn't have a rocket arm or ideal size so that's probably why you say that, but he's extremely accurate both short and deep, can throw well on the run and has a very quick release. He's also a threat to run himself, not on the level of a Vick or Griffin, but he can definitely hurt defenses with his legs situationally.

Accuracy, pocket presence and the ability to process defenses are probably the most important traits for a QB to have and I think Tagovailoa has elite accuracy, which is an awesome start. The other two factors are a bit harder to gauge, the processing being the hardest of course, but pocket presence as well just because he has such great protection.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well you can watch Grier play Saturday morning at 11. I'm sure it's going to be televised with 2 ranked teams playingeach other.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well you can watch Grier play Saturday morning at 11. I'm sure it's going to be televised with 2 ranked teams playingeach other.
:towel

I'm so scared.

Cotton

Staff member
Wait. Texas Tech is ranked? That can't be right.
Did you not see that ass whipping we put on Oklahoma State?

Yeah, I don't how it happened either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's ok, Mahomes and Watson came out of that Trubisky draft (Mahomes far more than Watson). We don't need an elite QB prospect going number 1 overall. We won't have a chance to draft him anyway. But if there are multiple QB's worth a first round pick I'm down taking a chance when our pick is up.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meet the 2019 NFL draft quarterback class: Everything you need to know

play Todd McShay discusses who the best NFL prospects are in this year's Rose Bowl including Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins. (0:53) 6:15 AM CT

The quarterback class for the 2019 NFL draft became clearer Wednesday, as Oregon's Justin Herbert, who was ranked the No. 1 QB by ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., announced that he is returning to school for another year. Herbert will join a loaded 2020 class with the likes of Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, Georgia's Jake Fromm and others. 2019 NFL DRAFT

When: April 25-27
Where: Nashville, Tennessee
How to watch: ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN App

Projected draft order: Picks 1-32 »
McShay's Mock Draft 1.0: Going 1-32 »
Kiper & McShay: 2019 draft primer »
Kiper's Big Board » | McShay's Top 32 »
Tracking underclassman declarations »
Players skipping bowl games for draft »
More NFL draft coverage »
The 2019 class, though? There's still much to be decided in the four months until April's draft.

After five quarterbacks went in Round 1 this past April, the 2019 class isn't as top-heavy, partially because the NFL's worst teams all took QBs in 2018. The Giants and Jaguars are the only teams projected to pick in the top 10 that have glaring needs at the position (unless Jon Gruden decides to dip his toes into the water).

Who are the top QBs in the 2019 class now? Let's meet the 11 candidates who are jockeying for position, with notes on each from Kiper and Todd McShay, insight from talent evaluators in the NFL, and everything else you need to know about the 2019 rookies:

Jump to a QB:
Haskins | Jones | Grier | Lock
Finley | Stidham | Murray | Best of the rest
[HR][/HR]
Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Year: Third-year sophomore | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-3, 220 | Career starts: 13

Total QBR: 86.9 (Fourth in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

So long, Herbert. Hello, Haskins? In any other year, Haskins might have been a lock to win the Heisman Trophy. Instead, he finished third behind two of the greatest QB seasons of all time. He threw 47 touchdown passes and just eight interceptions while leading the Buckeyes to a Big Ten title. Besides Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, Haskins is the biggest draft riser in the Class of 2019. He has an effortless throwing motion, and he was clutch in Ohio State's season-defining wins over Michigan and Northwestern. Check out this beautiful bomb in the conference title game. Like Herbert, Haskins could return to school for another year (or two).

The biggest question about him? Sample size. Those 13 starts are far fewer than NFL teams would like to see before they invest in a first-round quarterback. There is a recent precedent, however, as Mitchell Trubisky started just 13 games at North Carolina before the Bears took him No. 2 overall in 2017. Haskins, by the way, received a first-round grade from the NFL's college personnel advisory board, according to a report by ESPN's Chris Mortensen. play 0:51 Haskins proves Heisman worthiness with amazing season

Leading the nation in passing yardage and touchdowns, Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins has put together a Heisman-caliber season.

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 2 QB (behind Herbert) and No. 7 overall prospect. From Kiper's Big Board: "He has a big arm, shows great anticipation on his throws, takes care of the ball and has solid athleticism."

McShay's draft ranking: No. 1 QB and No. 18 overall prospect. From McShay's Top 32: "Based solely on his physical tools, the bar is really high for the Ohio State starter despite a limited college career." What the NFL thinks of Haskins

"I like Haskins. He reminds me of Teddy Bridgewater as a prospect, when he was a first-round pick [No. 32 overall in 2014]. You might be able to get Haskins later in the first round. I think he is a little more known than some of the others in terms of projecting what he will be." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Haskins will make start No. 14 against a tough Washington defense in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1 (5 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app). That gives him less than two weeks to decide about his NFL future, as underclassmen must announce their intentions by Jan. 14. If Haskins returns, the 2020 class could be absolutely loaded. If he decides to enter the draft, we'll see him next at the NFL combine, which starts Feb. 26. McShay pegged Haskins to the Giants in the top 10 of his Mock Draft 1.0.

Learn more about Haskins: Video: Playing QB at Ohio State a 'dream come true' ... Haskins was destined to select Ohio State. Next up: Become the next Peyton Manning ... Is Haskins the Big Ten's best quarterback ever? [HR][/HR]
Daniel Jones, Duke

Year: Fourth-year junior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-5, 220 | Career starts: 35

Total QBR: 68.0 (42nd in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

Keep an eye on quarterback whisperer David Cutcliffe's latest project, who could be the biggest beneficiary of Herbert's staying in school. The Duke coach has raved about Jones, a three-year starter who took a big step forward in 2018. His career numbers don't scream first-rounder -- 47 touchdown passes and 27 interceptions, while completing 59.5 percent of his passes, with a QBR of 60.7 -- but Jones didn't play with high-end talent. He's a dual-threat signal-caller. Jones rushed for 186 yards (and threw for 361) in the Blue Devils' win over rival North Carolina. Need proof of his toughness? Jones broke the collarbone in his left, non-throwing arm in September and missed only two games. If he chooses to forgo his final season of eligibility, Jones is expected to be in the mix to be the top QB off the board. play 0:29 Jones shows off pinpoint accuracy

Duke QB Daniel Jones showed enough flashes this season to be considered a first- or second-round prospect in the draft.

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 3 QB and No. 25 overall prospect. From Kiper's Big Board: "... the most impressive trait I've seen from Jones this season is his ability to buy time in the pocket and use his feet to get square and make a throw."

McShay's draft ranking: No. 7 QB and No. 71 overall prospect. From McShay's preview of the Independence Bowl: "[Jones has] been accurate and shown a lot of toughness, especially in that Clemson game." EDITOR'S PICKS
What the NFL thinks of Jones

"There are similarities to Carson Wentz -- great kid, great family, big body, makes all the throws, pretty smart, but does have an injury history. What he's got going for him is the guy coaching him [David Cutcliffe]. That is going to play so much in his favor. He could end up being the top quarterback drafted." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Jones is undecided about playing one more season for the Blue Devils, but he already has a degree, and he could be a late invite to January's Senior Bowl, in which many of these quarterbacks will compete against one another. Catch Jones and Duke against Temple in the Walk-On's Independence Bowl on Dec. 27 (1:30 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app).

Learn more about Jones: From 3-star to first-rounder: Jones peaking at just the right time ... How Jones played through pain and got his team to a bowl game [HR][/HR]
Will Grier, West Virginia

Year: Senior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-2, 221 | Career starts: 27

Total QBR: 81.6 (10th in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

Grier might not be the most famous member of his immediate family -- seriously, his siblings have millions of Instagram followers -- but he could be a first-round pick in April. After redshirting at Florida in 2014, he led the Gators to a 6-0 start in 2015 ... and then was suspended for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance (an over-the-counter supplement, he said). Grier decided to transfer, ending up at West Virginia, where he put up bonkers numbers (76 total TDs) in Dana Holgorsen's spread attack the past two seasons. Grier doesn't have outstanding measurables, but scouts love his accuracy and moxie. Kiper and McShay rate him as a Day 2 pick with the potential to move up during the pre-draft process. play 0:40 Gunslinging Grier ready for NFL

Check out some highlights from the 2018 season of West Virginia QB Will Grier.

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 5 QB.

McShay's draft ranking: No. 3 QB and No. 39 overall prospect. From McShay's preseason scouting report: "[Grier] has average zip on intermediate throws but can drive the ball vertically, although it requires full-body effort." What the NFL thinks of Grier

"I think it's going to be a thin crop of quarterbacks in the end, and so a guy like Grier could go earlier than he should. I think most of the league is going to look at him as a low-end starter or high-end backup." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Grier is skipping West Virginia's bowl game to prepare for the draft, and he has accepted an invite to participate in the Senior Bowl. He'll jockey for position in practices in Mobile, Alabama, with a few other quarterbacks and compete against more of the nation's best upperclassmen prospects.

Learn more about Grier: Grier's family is Instagram-famous, but he is scrambling to duck the spotlight ... How Grier got into the Heisman conversation ... Grier balances football, fatherhood [HR][/HR]
Drew Lock, Missouri

Year: Senior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-3, 228 | Career starts: 45

Total QBR: 82.4 (Ninth in FBS) | Full stats NFL Playoff Machine

See what the latest playoff picture looks like and simulate your own playoff scenarios.
NFL Playoff MachineWho he is and where he ranks

Lock burst onto the draft radar after a 44-touchdown season in 2017, and he was the first quarterback off the board in McShay's way-too-early mock draft in early May. McShay even called him a "poor man's Patrick Mahomes" before the season. His stock has fallen a little, but he has been more efficient (improved QBR and completion percentage with fewer picks) in 2018. Critics, however, will point to a horrid three-game stretch against Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama in which Lock had seven turnovers (five INTs) and just one touchdown pass while completing only 48.2 percent of his throws. Turn on the tape of Missouri's upset of Florida, though, to see Lock show off what scouts see in him. You might also remember him from his unique trash talk in the 2017 Texas Bowl.

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 4 QB.

McShay's draft ranking: No. 4 QB and No. 49 overall prospect. From McShay's preseason scouting report: "If developed properly, he has the natural tools to start in the NFL." play 0:30 NFL teams have an eye on Lock

Missouri's Drew Lock showed off his arm strength during the 2018 season. What the NFL thinks of Lock

"He's one of the more talented quarterbacks in this class and should go in the first couple rounds. He is capable of looking like an NFL starter but has just been inconsistent in terms of his accuracy and his decision-making. Somebody will like him because he has all the physical tools. Playing in more of a pro-style offense this year will help him. He might need some development, but he has more upside than most of these other guys." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Lock will finish his college career against Oklahoma State in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl on New Year's Eve (3:45 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app). You'll see him next at the Senior Bowl, in which he should turn heads in practice with his strong arm.

Learn more about Lock: How Lock's sixth-grade team shaped him ... Lock doesn't care if you like him; it's respect he's after ... The rise of Lock into one of NFL's hottest QB prospects [HR][/HR]
Ryan Finley, NC State

Year: Senior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-4, 208 | Career starts: 40

Total QBR: 81.4 (11th in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

Is it possible for a sixth-year senior to be under the radar? That could be Finley, who spent three years in a crowded quarterback room at Boise State before graduating and transferring to NC State, where he has started 37 games and led the Wolfpack to back-to-back nine-win seasons. Finley began the season at No. 16 overall on McShay's ranking of the best 2019 prospects, and like Lock, he has dropped as Herbert and Haskins have moved up. Finley, however, had an improved senior season, throwing 24 touchdown passes and just nine interceptions. He has stellar touch on his throws -- check out this touchdown against East Carolina -- but is inconsistent down the field and is only an average athlete. Finley has a chance to rise in the class.

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 6 QB.

McShay's draft ranking: No. 5 QB and No. 61 overall prospect. From McShay's preseason rankings: "He gets through progressions quickly and shows good poise and feel inside the pocket." play 0:32 Finley's skillset has him on NFL teams' radars

Check out some highlights from the 2018 season of NC State QB Ryan Finley. What the NFL thinks of Finley

"He is accurate, he is smart, but just from a physical standpoint, I think people will see him as a backup, just because of his size, his talent, arm and those things." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Finley is headed to the Senior Bowl in Mobile in late January, but you can catch him and NC State in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl against Texas A&M on New Year's Eve (7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN/ ESPN app).

Learn more about Finley: Finley isn't wasting any of his extra time at NC State ... Unique path has Finley ready for what comes next ... Finley preparing to take his place among NC State QBs in NFL [HR][/HR]
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Year: Fourth-year junior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-3, 215 | Career starts: 29

Total QBR: 57.3 (74th in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

Stidham, the 2017 SEC newcomer of the year who entered the season with 20-1 odds to win the Heisman Trophy, took a step back in 2018 (as did 7-5 Auburn). The Baylor transfer began the season as one of the draft's top prospects -- "I think that's a fair assessment," coach Gus Malzahn said in August -- but now finds himself in the middle of the pack in the class. Stidham completed 63.4 percent of his passes and threw 31 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in two seasons at Auburn in Malzahn's run-heavy spread offense, but he isn't much of a running threat and looked out of sorts at times with the Tigers. Could he make a leap over the next few months and light up the combine?

Kiper's draft ranking: No. 10 QB.

McShay's draft ranking: No. 6 QB and No. 67 overall prospect. From McShay's preseason scouting report: "[Stidham] can fit the ball into some tight spots and shows the ability to drive the ball vertically." play 0:31 Stidham dials up long TD

Jarrett Stidham double-clutches and throws a deep pass to Seth Williams for a 45-yard Auburn touchdown. What the NFL thinks of Stidham

"He has a good arm, but his decision-making, anticipation and some of those things you need as a quarterback probably are not where you would like them to be. To me, his ceiling is as a backup. He has been really inconsistent this year." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Stidham has already announced that he is entering the draft, and he'll play his final collegiate game against Purdue in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl on Dec. 28 (1:30 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app). Stidham will next be seen at the combine in early March.

Learn more about Stidham: Video: Stidham's long road to Auburn ... Meet the best QB in Alabama ... Stidham at peace with family, football [HR][/HR]
Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

Year: Junior | Ht/Wt: 5-foot-10, 195 | Career starts: 16

Total QBR: 96.0 (First in FBS) | Full stats Who he is and where he ranks

Surely you know about the 2018 Heisman Trophy winner, right? Murray put up one of the best seasons in college football history in leading Oklahoma to the College Football Playoff, but he might not even play professional football. He was picked in the first round in the MLB draft and got a $4.6 million signing bonus with the Oakland Athletics. The reason Murray is on this list? There's at least a small chance that he tries to play both sports or gives up baseball for football. If he commits to football -- and gives up that guaranteed money from the A's -- McShay believes he will be a first-round pick, while Kiper thinks he'd go on Day 2 in April. Murray is a dynamic dual-threat quarterback, but his true height is an issue for football. Not so much on the baseball diamond. play 1:15 Murray's Heisman season filled with highlights

After throwing for 40 touchdowns and leading the Sooners to the Big 12 title, Kyler Murray got Oklahoma back to the CFP. What the NFL thinks of Murray

"Of all these guys, Kyler Murray is probably the rarest in terms of his talent as a runner, his speed, his athletic ability, and then he can pass, but he is as small as we have ever seen. He is smaller than Russell Wilson, but like Russell, he is smart. You see the baseball player in him -- he gets down, does not take big hits. As the NFL game goes more toward the college game and as the rules limit how defenses can hit, there may be a place for him because he is talented. He is the wild card who could go early, but we just don't know." -- NFL evaluator, as told to ESPN's Mike Sando What's next?

Now we wait. Murray and the Sooners play top-ranked Alabama for a chance at a national title in the Capital One Orange Bowl on Dec. 29 (8 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app). If they lose, Murray will be asked about his baseball vs. football decision once again. But he's going to need to decide soon because the A's report for spring training in February. Murray could enter his name in the draft while joining the A's, see if a team picks him in April and decide then. But would a team draft a diminutive quarterback who doesn't go to the combine or work out for scouts ahead of the draft? This is truly an unprecedented situation.

Learn more about Murray: Murray balances football and baseball while replacing a legend ... After historic season, will Murray still give up on football?... Video: Murray won't stop until he wins a national title [HR][/HR]Best of the rest

These quarterbacks are all thought to be likely Day 3 picks right now, but they could move up before the draft:

Gardner Minshew, Washington State

A graduate transfer from East Carolina, Minshew excelled under Mike Leach in 2018, throwing 36 touchdown passes and nine interceptions and finishing fifth in the Heisman race. Minshew has impeccable style, and the fifth-year senior is the No. 9 QB on both Kiper's and McShay's draft boards. Scouts will get a closer look at him at the Senior Bowl in January.

Next up: Washington State plays Iowa State in the Valero Alamo Bowl (Dec. 28 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN app).

Trace McSorley, Penn State

McSorley doesn't have great size (6-foot, 200 pounds) or a great arm, but he was one of college football's most productive quarterbacks the past three seasons. McShay wrote in early December that McSorley was his favorite late-round prospect to watch. He'll be among the contingent of QBs at the Senior Bowl, in which he'll get his shot to impress against some of the draft's best senior prospects.

Next up: Penn State plays Kentucky in the VRBO Citrus Bowl (Jan. 1 at 1 p.m. ET on ABC/ESPN app).

Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

Since redshirting in 2014, Thorson has started 52 games for the Wildcats. He has the physical tools (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) to be an NFL quarterback, he never put together a consistent season, and he threw 30 touchdown passes and 26 interceptions the past two seasons. Thorson will also be at the Senior Bowl.

Next up: Northwestern plays Utah in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl (Dec. 31 at 7 p.m. ET on FS1).
Jake Bentley, South Carolina

The true junior has started 31 games for the Gamecocks, but he's still raw as a passer, and he could return to school in 2019. Asked about Bentley in November, McShay, who ranks him No. 8 among QBs for this class if he enters the draft, said: "I would love to see him come back for one more year." Bentley has until Jan. 14 to announce his intentions.

Next up: South Carolina plays Virginia in the Belk Bowl (Dec. 29 at noon ET on ABC/ESPN app).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Holy shit this is the first time I have cut and pasted an article in the new forum. That's really impressive. All the pictures and logos showed up without me doing anything. Pretty crazy.

As far as the QB class goes it looks really sad at the top but it seems to have a lot of depth for the second round area. I think someone like Lock or Grier is going to get picked in the second round and probably end up being a legit NFL starter. Meanwhile some of the first round guys will be total flops.

Cotton

Staff member
Holy shit this is the first time I have cut and pasted an article in the new forum. That's really impressive. All the pictures and logos showed up without me doing anything. Pretty crazy.
Yeah, the formatting on this version is amazing. We can do a shit ton more in this version much easier.

Top Bottom