Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Good lord.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys realize we're going to take Hernandez at 19 right?

Just gonna sit him in right there at LG like Ron Leary and let him go.

My only question is that UTEP didn't run alot of the stretch and outside zone that we run but if Leary could handle it I'm pretty sure Hernandez can, and he's excellent at everything else.
I'd be totally ok with that. Our Oline would be even that more freakish.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hernandez is definitely good in space, very agile and light on his feet pulling as a lead blocker and I've seen him get out in space very well on occasion on screens and such, UTEP just didn't ask him to do it much. The concern over the outside zone plays is his lack of length, can he get to guys on the move on reach blocks?

It's a nitpick though, I think he's a future Pro Bowler.

Cotton

Staff member
Orlando Brown is not having himself a very good day.

Cotton

Staff member
Hernandez is killing it.
Yes, he is. Just get resigned to taking him either at 19 or on a trade back, but with the combine he is having, we may have to grab him at 19 if we want him that bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, he is. Just get resigned to taking him either at 19 or on a trade back, but with the combine he is having, we may have to grab him at 19 if we want him that bad.
Yeah and he was always my number 2 guard in this draft so I really don't have a problem at 19. I just have to get past drafting a fourth O-lineman in the first round if that's what we are doing. I think he has elite level potential for the position.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah and he was always my number 2 guard in this draft so I really don't have a problem at 19. I just have to get past drafting a fourth O-lineman in the first round if that's what we are doing. I think he has elite level potential for the position.
If it makes you feel any better we drafted Smith in the 1st 7 years ago, Frederick 5 years ago, and Martin 4 years ago. All were relatively recent, sure, but we're nearing 5 years since the last one and we're not that far off from 10 years with Smith.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it makes you feel any better we drafted Smith in the 1st 7 years ago, Frederick 5 years ago, and Martin 4 years ago. All were relatively recent, sure, but we're nearing 5 years since the last one and we're not that far off from 10 years with Smith.
Yeah, it would just be nice to find a really good O-lineman outside of the first round for once. But again, if that's how the talent falls than that's how it falls. You don't want a weakness on the interior of the O-line. It can make for nightmares for your QB. Plus the idea of Martin, Frederick and Hernandez in the middle would provide unheard of push for our RBs.

Cotton

Staff member
Here you go, C-Rock...

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

No shit.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

:lol

No shit.
He strikes me as a guy who hasn't had to work hard for anything his whole life. So he probably didn't take his prep work seriously and probably never worked that hard in a weight room. His pure god given talent has always been enough for him to get by on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not especially thrilled with the idea of drafting another OL in the 1st but I can see the value in it.

If our options are Hernandez, Wynn, Hurst, Payne, Ronnie Harrison, and a handful of CB's, who are you going with?

Clearly a trade down is ideal but you can say that in almost any situation.

Everybody wants to talk about Vea, James, Roquan Smith or whatever, and I'd surely prefer them, but there is very little chance those guys are available at 19. We're gonna be sitting here like we were in 2014 hoping Aaron Donald or Anthony Barr falls and it's just not going to happen.

Outside of the OL I think our realistic options are going to be guys like Hurst, Payne, CB's like Mike Hughes or Josh Jackson, Christian Kirk, Ronnie Harrison, and maybe a guy like Davenport (although that's probably unrealistic depending on how he tests).

If they decide to go OG with a rock solid prospect like Hernandez in that situation I'm not complaining.

D

Deuce

He strikes me as a guy who hasn't had to work hard for anything his whole life. So he probably didn't take his prep work seriously and probably never worked that hard in a weight room. His pure god given talent has always been enough for him to get by on.
Reminds me of Andre Smith when he came out of Bama. He just didn't look like he was putting in much effort at the combine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reminds me of Andre Smith when he came out of Bama. He just didn't look like he was putting in much effort at the combine.
Yep a great example. Some guys come out of highschool just knowing they don't even have to work to be a starter at a major college program.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, talk about a stellar RB class. I'm watching these guys and it's hard not to be impressed. Rashaad Penny at 220 pounds just ran a 4.47 forty for example. And most don't even consider him with the top backs in this class. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the third round and become a rookie stud.

On a side note Ronald Jones pulled up on his forty hurt. It's unfortunate for him because he is in the scuffle for that second/third back taken in the draft.

Top Bottom