2018 NFL Combine Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I coached a kid that had one hand about 5-6 years ago. He was an animal in every way.

I consider myself an expert on coaching one handed players...
Here we go again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
White boy does look like he is hauling ass though. I'm just going to be real, it's not often you see a white guy run that fast.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
You won't be laughing when 50% of my players go pro.

Broke leg or not, I am THAT good.
Yeah, but are you that DAMN good?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best of Day 4 at NFL combine: Top risers, how best prospects fared

ESPN NFL draft experts

The final day of the NFL combine brought us workouts from the 2018 draft's defensive backs, and they didn't disappoint.

ESPN NFL draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. recaps how the best prospects fared, while Scouts Inc. analyst Steve Muench breaks down the under-the-radar prospects who are rising up draft boards.

Kiper: This cornerback class is really close after Denzel Ward. The Ohio State defender -- read more about him below -- could go in the top 10, but the next corner off the board will depend on scheme fits and who each team thinks is the best player available. There's no clear No. 2 corner. I hit on a few of the candidates in the next section.

How the top prospects fared
Here's how the potential first-round picks from this group performed on Day 4 of workouts:

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Kiper's position rank: No. 1

Ward is the best corner in this class and a likely top-10 pick. Yes, he's only 5-11, 183. We knew he was a little small. His blazing 4.32-second 40-yard dash shows he's the real deal athletically, and that time was faster than former teammate Marshon Lattimore's 4.36 from last year. Lattimore went No. 11 overall and was one of the NFL's best cornerbacks in 2017. Ward is a different player, of course, but he has the skill set and traits of a No. 1 corner in the NFL. Ward also had the top broad jump (11 feet, 4 inches) among corners and one of the best verticals (39 inches).

Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Kiper's position rank: No. 2

The question about Jackson coming into the combine was long speed: Does he have the explosiveness of a Day 1 pick? He ran a 4.56 40, which is about what I expected for a bigger corner (6-0, 196). It's not an elite time, but it's not a disaster. He's still in the mix for the first round. He also had a 38-inch vertical and 4.03-second 20-yard shuttle, which were among the top marks at the position. The tape is what matters most here, and he had a fantastic 2017 season, with eight interceptions and 18 pass breakups.

Notes on the other top cornerbacks:

LSU's Donte Jackson solidified his spot as a possible late first-round or early second-round pick. His 4.32 40 was tied for the fastest at the combine. Louisville's Jaire Alexander is right there, too. His 4.38 40 was faster than I expected, and he has recovered from the injuries that caused him to miss six games last season.

Central Florida's Mike Hughes isn't very big (5-10, 189), and a 4.53 40 was slower than I expected. Still, he's a good player who could be available early on Day 2. Alabama's Anthony Averett has a thin frame (6-0, 183), and his blazing 4.36 40 shows off his elite talent. I think he's firmly in the second round.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, who could play safety or cornerback in the NFL, is a likely top-10 pick. Photo by Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
Kiper's position rank: No. 1

Fitzpatrick is a lock to be picked in the top 10. A 4.46 40 was a fantastic time for him. Some teams view Fitzpatrick (6-0, 204) as a cornerback, and that might be where he ends up. But the versatility matters, and he's a perfect fit for today's NFL. I expect Fitzpatrick to show off more at his pro day on Wednesday. -- Kiper

Derwin James, S, Florida State
Kiper's position rank: No. 2

A 4.47 40 was a great time for the 6-2, 215-pound James. And the 40-inch vertical and 11-foot broad jump show elite athleticism. It was a very good day for the Florida State safety, who missed almost all of the 2016 season with a knee injury and didn't have a great season in 2017. But James can be a versatile defender who plays in the box and also covers the deep middle. He's likely to be the second safety picked on Day 1.

Top risers
These are the under-the-radar prospects who opened eyes among scouts on Day 4 of workouts and should move up draft boards:

Troy Apke, S, Penn State
Scouts Inc. position rank: No. 30

At 6-1, 200, Apke's 4.35-second 40-yard dash tied for the fourth fastest among all the defensive backs. It's an excellent time for a corner, let alone a safety. He has small hands (8 3/8 inches), but his arms (32¼ inches) are almost an inch longer than the five-year average for safety, and he showed the ability to extend his arms to snatch the ball out of the air in drills. He tied for the fastest three-cone time (6.56) in the safety group and looked quick and fluid on the field. His 41-inch vertical is excellent and ranked third in the safety group, while his broad jump (10 feet, 11 inches) ranked fourth. -- Muench

Terrell Edmunds, S, West Virginia
Scouts Inc. position rank: No. 10

Edmunds has an excellent combination of size, length and top-end speed. Edmunds (6-0, 217) is almost 10 pounds heavier than the five-year average for safeties, has 32 3/4-inch arms and his 4.48 40 is a borderline outstanding time for a safety. His marks in the vertical jump (41.5 inches) and broad jump (11 feet, 2 inches) are outstanding for a safety and both tied for the best in the position group. He also has massive hands (10.5 inches) and is capable of plucking the ball out of the air. We don't have a three-cone time, and ideally he runs that in 4.1 or 4.2 at some point, but he otherwise stood out. -- Muench

Justin Reid, S, Stanford
Scouts Inc. position rank: No. 4

Reid tied for the third-fastest 40 (4.40) and had the third-fastest short shuttle (6.65) for the safety group. Those are excellent results. At 6-1 and 207 pounds, he has slightly above-average length (31 5/8-inch arms) and a bigger hand span (9 3/4 inches). He also turned in above-average performances in the broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches) and vertical jump (36.5 inches) as well as the short shuttle (4.15). The junior and younger brother of 49ers safety Eric Reid is in the late Day 1 to early Day 2 conversation. -- Muench

Godwin Igwebuike, S, Northwestern
Scouts Inc. position rank: No. 16

Igwebuike ran the fifth-fastest 40 (4.44), tied Apke for the fastest three-cone (6.56) and had the second-fastest (4.12) short shuttle in the safety group. His performances in the broad jump (10 feet, 8 inches), on the bench press (19 reps) and in the vertical jump (35.5 inches) were all above average. At 5-11 and 213 pounds, his arm length is slightly below average, but he's built well. A highly productive college safety, his 2016 tape is better than his 2017 tape, so it was important that he have a strong showing at the combine. The arrow appears to be pointing up coming out of Indianapolis. -- Muench

Tre Flowers has the size to be an NFL safety, but he will likely be a Day 3 pick. AP Photo/Darron Cummings

Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State
Scouts Inc. position rank: No. 15

At 6-3, 202, Flowers posted an excellent 40 time (4.45) for a safety and ranked sixth among the position group. His length (33 7/8-inch arms) is outstanding and his performance on the bench (18 reps of 225 pounds) is that much more impressive considering that length. Flowers didn't record a three-cone time, and that's an important test for safeties, plus he's high cut and has some problems changing directions on tape. Much like Edmunds, Flowers will boost his stock with a strong three-cone time, but either way he helped himself with his combine performance. -- Muench

I really like Reid in this draft. But it's looking like he has climbed himself out of the conversation of day two for us. And I don't like him enough to talk pick 19.

Cotton

Staff member

lol wut

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

lol wut

Top Bottom