Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2018

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that's a defensive end. Not sure when 260 pounds and a 4.87 forty translated to anything but a DE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'm being narrow minded but I just can't agree with taking a WR in the first. There's always the BPA vs need factor. But I believe there's plenty of DL, LB, safeties, and OL who are more than talented enough to warrant the #19 spot. And they're also positions of need.
Yeah I'm not sure why you feel that way unless you just view WR as a not need position anymore. I see lots of scenarios where a WR is the best available at 19. There are only 3 LBers I'd even consider in the first and 2 will be gone by our pick. I do love Hernandez though. I'd get on board with him any day. And frankly other than Vea I'm not sure what D-lineman will be around by our pick that I want. I love Marcus Davenport but I imagine him gone by our pick. And safety, outside of Derwin James I'm not sure I see a guy worth 19. I like Reid but he is starting to get over hyped. Plus his shit head brother makes me question him some.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah I'm not sure why you feel that way unless you just view WR as a not need position anymore. I see lots of scenarios where a WR is the best available at 19. There are only 3 LBers I'd even consider in the first and 2 will be gone by our pick. I do love Hernandez though. I'd get on board with him any day. And frankly other than Vea I'm not sure what D-lineman will be around by our pick that I want. I love Marcus Davenport but I imagine him gone by our pick. And safety, outside of Derwin James I'm not sure I see a guy worth 19. I like Reid but he is starting to get over hyped. Plus his shit head brother makes me question him some.
I wouldn't be super pissed if we took Moore or Ridley at 19, but I think this is a very deep WR class in which we can find very good value in later rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't be super pissed if we took Moore or Ridley at 19, but I think this is a very deep WR class in which we can find very good value in later rounds.
I agree with you there. I've preached the WR depth of this class. Reminds me of the corner class last year. And I may prefer to double up at reciever like we did corner last year as opposed to using a first on a WR. Of course the rumors about us cutting Dez after the draft would have to be true to even make room on the roster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vita Vea DT Washington 1 Aaron Wilson 10 Pre-Draft
Calvin Ridley WR Alabama 1 Bobby Belt 16 Pre-Draft
James Daniels C Iowa 1 Rob Howe 18 Pre-Draft
Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St 1 Tony Pauline 22 Pre-Draft
Will Hernandez OG UTEP 1 Bobby Belt 23 Pre-Draft
Connor Williams OT Texas 1 David Helman 24 Pre-Draft
D.J. Moore WR Maryland 1-2 Neal Dalal 29 Pre-Draft
Kolton Miller G/T UCLA 1-2 James Layton 31 Pre-Draft
Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M 1-2 Bobby Belt 32 Pre-Draft
Rashaan Evans LB Alabama 1-2 Bobby Belt 36 Pre-Draft
Nyheim Hines RB NC State 3 The Wolfpacker 87 Pre-Draft
Deshon Elliott SS Texas 4-5 Jared Stager 145 Pre-Draft
Darius Leonard LB South Carolina State 5 Tony Pauline 169 Pre-Draft
Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa 5-6 ConnorNFLDraft 196 Pre-Draft

As of right now this is the predraft visit list in case anyone is curious. DJ Moore and Connor Williams were the most recent names added. I feel like Fountain might be this year Xavier Woods. A small school guy who I loved from early on in the process who I'm praying the Cowboys pick once the fourth round and beyond starts. Especially after we ignore WR for the first 4 rounds.

Cotton

Staff member

As of right now this is the predraft visit list in case anyone is curious. DJ Moore and Connor Williams were the most recent names added. I feel like Fountain might be this year Xavier Woods. A small school guy who I loved from early on in the process who I'm praying the Cowboys pick once the fourth round and beyond starts. Especially after we ignore WR for the first 4 rounds.
Fountain is a pet cat of one of our newest members, [MENTION=569]Winstar[/MENTION].

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fountain is a pet cat of one of our newest members, [MENTION=569]Winstar[/MENTION].
O Rly?

Actually, the kid showed out in the East-West. I have nothing to say about him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
O Rly?

Actually, the kid showed out in the East-West. I have nothing to say about him.
Plus he has good size and is super athletic. 42 inch verticle, 11'2" broad jump and 4.46 forty at 6'1" 210 pounds isn't bad at all. He was also really good on the field including the Shrine game like you mentioned. Personally I'd be totally ok taking him as high as the fourth. But that doesn't mean he will go that high.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if it's interesting or not but apparently Garrett was the only head coach at Sutton's pro day. And Sutton grew up a huge Cowboys fan. I actually think I'd get on board in the second round. He has that stereotypical #1 reciever potential. And is a great athlete who is very quick for that size. But he wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. I guess as a Dez replacement he would make sense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per Tony Pauline:

Receiver
Tre'Quan Smith also stood on his combine 40 but did position drills. Surprisingly he was not asked to field any kicks during today’s workout. Smith has already completed private workouts for the Detroit Lionsand Tampa Bay Bucs. He has another workout set with the Dallas Cowboys and is making a trip to see the New York Giants on an official visit.

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I'm hoping they'd take a couple of swings at WR and TE somewhere in the draft, but judging by this thread and that list, it doesn't appear as if the Cowboys have a lot of interest in drafting tight end this year. I guess they're still banking on Rico or one of the other tight ends stepping up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hoping they'd take a couple of swings at WR and TE somewhere in the draft, but judging by this thread and that list, it doesn't appear as if the Cowboys have a lot of interest in drafting tight end this year. I guess they're still banking on Rico or one of the other tight ends stepping up.
I'm really afraid they are looking at the ageless wonder in Witten and thinking he has another two years left. It's funny we started drafting his replacement way too soon for Witten. And now that Witten isn't very effective we are clinging to him. My guess is they view Witten as being here for a couple more years and in the mean time they intend to find out what Rico can do. And then draft someone next year if Rico doesn't take the next step. Which I love his potential but I'm certainly not banking on it and we desperately need some explosiveness out of the TE position which Witten just doesn't have anymore.

So I guess we all might as well hope and pray that the potential we saw last preseason translates to the regular season next year.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Very glad to see Hines on the list. Like that kid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With the success that teams like Chicago had with Tarik Cohen, it might cost a third to get Hines.

I like him a lot, just not sure if I value a backup RB that badly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, he'd actually fit in our backfield perfectly. I hate taking Zeke off the field ever but if I'm giving him a breather an electric speedster like that would be good on third down situations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the success that teams like Chicago had with Tarik Cohen, it might cost a third to get Hines.

I like him a lot, just not sure if I value a backup RB that badly.
Yeah I have no problem burning our second fourth on a RB but a third rounder would be too rich for my blood. Would prefer an O-lineman, RB, Dlineman, S or LBer that early. Or a TE which I'm not sure we are really considering yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Hines alot but he isn't a guy who could carry the load in lieu of Elliott so I'd love him in the 4th, skeptical in the 3rd.

If he gets taken before the 4th just go with a guy like Ito Smith who can provide much of what Hines can.

Top Bottom