Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2018

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see him as inside the top 20 players in this draft either.
Evans is in a pretty big group of guys that I'm lukewarm on at 19 but would be very pleased with if we traded back about 8-10 or so spots.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy but it wouldn't be a horrific pick either. It really depends on what the board looks like though and what other options we have.

As an aside, Corbett is a good looking interior prospect, would be a great 3rd and very nice 2nd.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree. Getting colder on Ridley the more I watch him.
Does colder mean that you don't want him at 19 or that you aren't gung-ho on him there?

I've never been a huge Ridley fan to the point that he'd be my auto-pick if available or that I'd advocate trading up, but he's a high floor type who should be an excellent number 2, so he'd be a decent enough pick there at 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't like the value at 19 for any of these.
I'm totally good with the value of Ridley or Hernandez at 19. I think they would both be excellent picks there and two guys who I could see putting up numbers in Dallas to justify it (For Hernandez I think he is an elite level run blocker in the NFL). But after that sort of group I'm probably trying to trade down.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I agree. Getting colder on Ridley the more I watch him.
If we can't get Vea, James, Smith, I want a receiver. I really like DJ Moore. He's faster and tougher. But Ridley has terrific hands, can high point a bit, and plays fast as hell. His route running is sick. My only worry for him is his slight frame.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If we are going WR I am cooling on Ridley as well. DJ Chark is a guy I really like at WR.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I only worry about his hands. They just don't look very strong to me.
From what I saw he seemed aggressive to the ball...more so I was impressed with how he seems to glide with the ball in his hands.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I saw he seemed aggressive to the ball...more so I was impressed with how he seems to glide with the ball in his hands.
Yeah and there is no denying his size and speed is exciting. I just see too many basket catches and body catches for my taste.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does colder mean that you don't want him at 19 or that you aren't gung-ho on him there?

I've never been a huge Ridley fan to the point that he'd be my auto-pick if available or that I'd advocate trading up, but he's a high floor type who should be an excellent number 2, so he'd be a decent enough pick there at 19.
I am just not that convinced he is going to be a difference making WR, at least enough to draft him at that stage.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am just not that convinced he is going to be a difference making WR, at least enough to draft him at that stage.
Yea, I mean I've always been lukewarm on him so I agree, wouldn't be especially thrilled with the pick but wouldn't be disappointed either.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Supposedly Vander Esch is an official visit.

I think he needs to be a consideration at 19, dude is 6-4, 250+ with nearly 34 inch arms, ran a 4.65 40 with a 39.5 vertical.

He has some rough edges as far as his technique taking on blocks and his physicality in that regard but I think that's mostly lack of experience. If he can clean up some of that he has Pro Bowl potential with a rare blend of size/speed and instincts to find the ball in traffic, as well as good coverage ability and some added value as a blitzer.

Cotton

Staff member
Supposedly Vander Esch is an official visit.

I think he needs to be a consideration at 19, dude is 6-4, 250+ with nearly 34 inch arms, ran a 4.65 40 with a 39.5 vertical.

He has some rough edges as far as his technique taking on blocks and his physicality in that regard but I think that's mostly lack of experience. If he can clean up some of that he has Pro Bowl potential with a rare blend of size/speed and instincts to find the ball in traffic, as well as good coverage ability and some added value as a blitzer.
No thank you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You can start with this.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can start with this.
I know that you know making those types of comparisons are literally pointless, especially from some fucking Joe Fan like this chud.

Anyway, there are probably 20 busts and another 20 Pro Bowlers with similar physical profiles. Edmunds and Vander Esch are very similarly built with similar athleticism actually, based on their test results.

And Carpenter was miscast as a 3-4 OLB, that's not the role Vander Esch is being looked at for. Carpenter never had the pure pass rush chops to be a 3-4 OLB and was more of a pure off-ball LB than a edge-rusher/DE type like the top 3-4 OLB's usually are. His best fit was probably as a 4-3 SAM.

Not to mention that this stupid fucking chud making this comparison probably didn't notice that Carpenter's numbers were from his Pro Day, not the Combine, and that it's pretty well known that certain schools have their 40's set up to give their guys a little boost. If he runs that 40 at the Combine he's probably around a 4.70-4.75.

Vander Esch is also about 1.5, nearly 2 inches taller, Carpenter was a 6024 while Vander Esch is a 6042.

Cotton

Staff member
From what I have seen, he has some serious issues separating from blocks. I have also seen a few plays where he has taken terrible angle in pursuit. Just not a big fan of the idea of taking him at 19.

Top Bottom